Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal - Page 5 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree31Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 09-28-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Tim Newman is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal

I can't say with any certainty that this is the case for the Panama Canal, but I have dealt with many authorities and bureaucracies outside the western world, and probably the last place you go to find what you will end up paying for a "service" is the official list of published tariffs! Speak to a few people who have actually done it, and you'll get a far truer picture.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #42  
Old 09-28-2013
Capt.aaron's Avatar
KNOT KNOWN
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras
Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal

I don't see what the big deal is. This sight makes it sound like you can't sail from here to there.
I can't tell you much about small boat sailing from Cali to Panama other than I know it can be done. From Panama north, just sail out to San Blas, hang out and have few beers till the weather is good to sail up to San Andres, hang out, maybe sail over to Miskitos, and then on up to Guanaja, maybe straight up up Isla Mujeres from there or gunk hole up the inside through Guat. and Belize. You can reach for 3 or 4 day's up to the Hump from Panama and run straight to Isla in about 7 day's total I guess. It's pretty straight forward trade wind sailing, Then it's 3 or 4 day's on up to Key West from there.
__________________
" Some are boat wise and some are other wise"

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 09-28-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #43  
Old 09-28-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
SakPase is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Wonderful sense of adventure! But...

There is a couple that tried it on a 28-foot Pearson Triton. You should read their blog before you try it:
3knots | Man, Wife and Dog drifting to warmer climates

Or you could just skip straight to where they wrecked their boat:
Staring into oblivion | 3knots
Technically "we" did not wreck our boat, the ocean did that. Either way I'd do it again.
zeehag, jimgo, Capt.aaron and 1 others like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #44  
Old 09-28-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
SakPase is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
golfito tim did the trip last year in a 27 catalina he bought in zihuatenejo.
tehuantepec is not always blowing.
folks usually stopin huatulco and when not running folks go. when it is blowing they wait until it is not blowing.
folks make abigger dealk out of this than is usually necessary.

so, if the cocodrilos dont eat you, and if the winds dont kill you you should be ok.
Not the same trip at all, California to Costa Rica is muy facil if you watch the weather. The only tricky part is timing your T-pec and the Popagayo winds. I think the real challenge comes when you turn north into the golf of Panama because that will be the first fight against weather.
zeehag likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #45  
Old 09-29-2013
zeehag's Avatar
snake charmer, cat herder
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
Posts: 1,632
Thanks: 4
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 6
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakPase View Post
Not the same trip at all, California to Costa Rica is muy facil if you watch the weather. The only tricky part is timing your T-pec and the Popagayo winds. I think the real challenge comes when you turn north into the golf of Panama because that will be the first fight against weather.
strange how zihuat to costa rica isnt the same trip as cali to panama--it is but a smallbit of the trip.
i have been doing this trip now for 3 years--'it actually IS the same trip,only in longer stopover segments. the same charts are used''it is just that everyone has a different tale to tell abou tthe same body of water travelled in the same routing.
i have seen manyh souls doint his trip''it is the same trip, and all have enjoyed it an d had no problem.
the only problems that come up happen when the atlantic folks tell the pacific folks how to do it and that it cannot be done.
it is not that difficult a trip.
there are gorgeous places to stop over and rest and provision and pemex has same pricing thruout mexico. weather is predictable and with enough warning to keep you out of mayhem.
it is a lee shore, so plan accordingly.
there are cocodrilos, so dont swim after a rain.
the cruising guides published by sarana show the seasons of papagayos and tehuanbtepec winds.
seas are well spaced and not so horrid as same sized seas on atlantic coast. gentle rollers do not make a bad sail.
did i say most of it is downhill, current and windwise. and you wont die if you decide to just drift, nor will you get totally lost.
you may find self closer to shore, but you wont go to china without conscious effort. the currents here just do not go that way.
learn the currrents and learn wind direction and how to tell when you are going to get blown away. we have either no wind or too much.
it is a fun sail. that is why i am doing this here for so long...well,one reason.
this is a voyage that will take from 5 weeks to any number of years, depending on stopovers and motivation.

i would not count on 5 weeks however for this journey. friends did that in a trimaran 5 yrs ago.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 09-29-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #46  
Old 09-29-2013
billyruffn's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,269
Thanks: 3
Thanked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 10
billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRu View Post
Are you saying that you don't know one simple fact?

Any boat with waterline longer than 14 ft has hull speed over 5 knots in displacement mode.
Any boat?
Kinda sorta depends just a little bit on the engine's power relative to the displacement et. al. just maybe! Don't ya think?
(Snark off)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #47  
Old 09-29-2013
zeehag's Avatar
snake charmer, cat herder
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
Posts: 1,632
Thanks: 4
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 6
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal

hull speed and cruising speed are not the same thing nor is hull speed able to be achieved and maintained in many sailboats.
mine needs a chubasco of 60 kts to surpass hull speed, and needs more than wind and engine to maintain 5 kts consistently.
my hull speed is around 7 kts,mathematically, and actual cruising speed is more like 3-4, on a windy day.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #48  
Old 09-29-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
SakPase is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
strange how zihuat to costa rica isnt the same trip as cali to panama--it is but a smallbit of the trip.
i have been doing this trip now for 3 years--'it actually IS the same trip,only in longer stopover segments. the same charts are used''it is just that everyone has a different tale to tell abou tthe same body of water travelled in the same routing.
i have seen manyh souls doint his trip''it is the same trip, and all have enjoyed it an d had no problem.
the only problems that come up happen when the atlantic folks tell the pacific folks how to do it and that it cannot be done.
it is not that difficult a trip.
there are gorgeous places to stop over and rest and provision and pemex has same pricing thruout mexico. weather is predictable and with enough warning to keep you out of mayhem.
it is a lee shore, so plan accordingly.
there are cocodrilos, so dont swim after a rain.
the cruising guides published by sarana show the seasons of papagayos and tehuanbtepec winds.
seas are well spaced and not so horrid as same sized seas on atlantic coast. gentle rollers do not make a bad sail.
did i say most of it is downhill, current and windwise. and you wont die if you decide to just drift, nor will you get totally lost.
you may find self closer to shore, but you wont go to china without conscious effort. the currents here just do not go that way.
learn the currrents and learn wind direction and how to tell when you are going to get blown away. we have either no wind or too much.
it is a fun sail. that is why i am doing this here for so long...well,one reason.
this is a voyage that will take from 5 weeks to any number of years, depending on stopovers and motivation.

i would not count on 5 weeks however for this journey. friends did that in a trimaran 5 yrs ago.
I was referring to the second half of the proposed trip, Panama to Florida. But yeah cali-Panama is more of the same.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #49  
Old 09-30-2013
Minnesail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 762
Thanks: 95
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 2
Minnesail is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakPase View Post
Technically "we" did not wreck our boat, the ocean did that. Either way I'd do it again.
Sorry, I didn't mean any offense. I love your blog, by the way, it's great reading!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #50  
Old 09-30-2013
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lund British Columbia
Posts: 99
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 3
Bob142 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal

When I was on the shore side of tehuantepec I was told that it is quite predictable...Add 12 hours and some speed to what ever is blowing out of the Texas panhandle...
__________________
Bob142
Desolation Sound
Maple Leaf 48

Any storm in a port...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Tags
california , caribbean , florida , panama canal , singlehanded


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Panama Canal MDRHUNTER Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 13 08-11-2010 03:34 PM
Panama Canal greenpointyeraser Central America 13 07-29-2010 08:33 PM
Panama Canal kennyarmes General Discussion (sailing related) 2 12-10-2006 07:42 PM
Panama Canal roborider Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 14 11-26-2006 08:30 PM
Panama Canal plan sailing to a win (South Bend Tribune) NewsReader News Feeds 0 10-23-2006 07:15 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012