Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004

waltward is on a distinguished road
Holy Crap - What Happened

I brought up my favorites, clicked on "Sailnet" and up came a site I had never seen. I was sure I was in the wrong place. At this age, 66, change can cause a significant amount of trauma. If it works, don''t fix it I always say! But; if I just, hang in there, the new look might work out just fine, and my life will return to normal.

Walt Ward
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2004

mmccoy is on a distinguished road

I see Sailnets web group as clearly a case of the ''tail wagging the dog''.

It''s good that Sailnet management embraces the Internet but they really need to get some better designers. At least navigation of the previous design was simple & laid out clearly. Now you have to dig around to find the ''subtopic'' of where you want to go.

WHAT EXACTLY IS THE POINT OF THIS NEW ''DESIGN''?

Apparently to make it longer/harder to find something on Sailnet. Before it took ONE CLICK to get somewhere on Sailnet. Now it takes at least 3. That''s progress?

IMHO it''s a perfect example of ''we''re technically proficient enough to do it so it must be a good thing''. And it''s absolutely obvious that since the web group has broadband, everyone else in the world must have it as well.

Next thing you know we''ll have a Flash based forum or something.

Speaking of which, if they wanted to make some improvements they should have focused on the stupid forum architecture. But NOOooo.... apparently somebody over there spent WAY too much time hand coding this POS BBS to trash it for something that actually works and/or user friendly and/or makes sense.

To sailnets web group: Get a clue
Old 09-09-2004

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road

Ah, the price of progress!
Old 09-09-2004

Dave A is on a distinguished road

I''m also 66 but I don''t have a problem with the new site. I kind of like the change and I don''t see that it''s harder to use, I think everyone will get familiar with it. After all it is the best messsage board.
Old 09-11-2004

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road

I shed no tears for the three free clicks that replaced your one free click. The result is the same: free access to a fine BB and a huge archive of interesting and informative articles covering almost every conceivable subject written by the widest conceivable range of writers, from methodical Don Casey to individualist dreamer James Baldwin.

The people running things around here are businessmen, and know how to attract potential customers with interesting features, to be sure; but they are also enthusiasts promoting a sport and lifestyle they love, and that fact enhances the quality of every extra feature on the site, that I get to enjoy for nothing.

The correct response to a free feast would be gratitude.
Old 09-14-2004

sailalibi is on a distinguished road

ditto that !
Old 09-15-2004

nauticalrich is on a distinguished road

I have been unable to find the member''s directory.
It has been screwed up anyway for a while. Pictures that you can''t see, picture of the week has been the same for at least a year. Where did it go, where did it go?

I think the web site is magnificent anyway.
Lots of great information and articles.
Old 09-15-2004

sboyle843 is on a distinguished road

You know what they say about "clueless management"... you get what you pay for ;-)

FWIW, the changes we made were driven by customer feedback. While there may have been fewer clicks on the old system, there were also so many options that a lot of people got frustrated by the lack or organization. Our goal is to make everything cleaner and more logical so people can get the most from the site.

The response rate from our largest user groups has been about 95% positive. There are plenty of bumps still to get over... we''re comitted to overhauling the entire site over the next couple of months so you will see significant enhancements in just about every area -- including this forum.

I don''t always have the time to monitor this board so feel free to email me with any specific comments or suggestions.

-- Sam
Old 09-15-2004

Stede is on a distinguished road

sboyle843,

Yeah, it now takes me (3) clicks to get to where I want to go.As a teenager, I can remember my mom saying when she wanted me to do something "I''m tired of doing all the work around here while you don''t lift a finger." Well, times have changed my friend! For all the work you guys do, I will gladly do my part and lift my finger for the extra clicks.

Fair winds!