SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Charleston, SC - Help, please (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/104072-charleston-sc-help-please.html)

jabc1950 09-25-2013 10:22 AM

Charleston, SC - Help, please

Hello,
I need recommendations for the type of boat to buy, for use in and around Charleston (bay, inland waterway, rivers, coastal). I am looking for a trailerable, sturdy sailboat. I do like the salt water in my face stuff when sailing, so a little bit of performance would be a plus.
Some background with more details:
1. Our son and his family live in Charleston. They have just expanded to four:-) but now Nana and Pop no longer have that third bedroom when visiting (we live in Atlanta).
2. Thought that this might be the excuse I need to get a trailerable sailboat - maybe we could use it to sleep in overnight when we're there.
3. Also would be a good way to introduce the grandkids to sailing, when they get a little older.
4. I sailed a Sailfish on Barneget Bay in NJ in the 60's; a Coronado 15 on Colorado reservoirs in the 70's; and a Catalina 25 on Lake Lanier (outside Atlanta) in the late 80s. Then the kids got into soccer and presto chango it's 2013. (Where did the time go?)
Your recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks (in advance) for your help.

tschmidty 09-25-2013 12:22 PM

Re: Charleston, SC - Help, please

The Catalina 25 you mentioned would be a good trailerable, although it would not be easy to launch, etc. There are a ton of good options, but sleeping on the boat on the hard won't be great for you to climb in and out of. Anything like an Oday22 or 23, Catalina 22 or 25, or a variety of other boats would fit the requirements you have set as far as it goes.

Melrna 09-25-2013 01:04 PM

Be careful in Charleston Harbor. The tide is plus 5 feet and the current can get over 2 knots in some spots. Can get a little rough out there especially in a small boat.
http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/cur...ab2ac6.html#66

MarioG 09-25-2013 03:30 PM

22 footers are easy to trailer 4 or 5 people can hang out in some comfort as long as everyone showered. 2 of us spent 13 long weekends on our Chrysler 22, I would have had no problems sailing it around Charleston as long as you stay away from the cargo ships.

I can't think of much cooler thing for a kid to tell there friends they gat to sail around a place like Ft Sumner.

sparrowe 09-25-2013 06:39 PM

It sounds like you will need to launch and retrieve your boat every time you go sailing. If it takes an hour (or more!) to step the mast, set the rigging, and get the boat in the water, and another hour (or more!) to get the boat on the trailer, lower the mast, pack everything away, etc., I can't imagine you having much fun - or the grandkids either. I'd give careful consideration to something that is easily rigged - like a Com Pac Eclipse or, if your budget can stand it, a Norseboat 21.5 Cabin version. Both are light enough (2000 - 2200 lbs) to tow behind a mid-sized SUV.

Then again, the price difference between a nice used Catalina 25 and the Norseboat is enough to keep a slip in a marina somewhere for years and years!

contrarian 09-25-2013 06:56 PM

Boy this is a real can of worms, the problem is smaill enough to trailer but big enough to sleep in, not nearly as much of a problem for the youngsters though. Why don't you let the grandkids sleep in the boat ( great fun for them ) and let Nana and PaPa sleep in the house. As far as the rigging, I actually think it's do-able with something like a West Wight Potter 19 or Maybe the Voayager 20 if looking for a newer boat. Your really do have to take the rigging into consideration but I don't think its a deal breaker. You might want to pick up a Trailer Sailer Magazine and take a gander.

rbyham 09-25-2013 10:04 PM

Here's a thought. Bag the trailer and buy something to keep in water in Charleston. Then come stay on your own boat in relative comfort. Would make the boat frequency of use curve go up. Would also increase visits to kids but have a place of your own when you come. Call Cooper River Marina for list of boats for sale. Always some cheap deals laying around here. BMW I concur on the current strength some days in harbor. Very diff from Lanier...

desert rat 09-25-2013 11:41 PM

That Norseboat is beautiful. Becoming a liveaboard sailing fanatic is a great idea 42 ft.
There are other boats almost as nice as the Norseboat in 25, and 26 ft range that cost half or less also older.

The Ol Man 09-26-2013 01:34 AM

The Ol Mans's 2 cents worth:

Macgreger 25 is a good possibility if cost is a concideration. Older boat yes, but with a good rep. Easy to rig out, less than 30 min,s with some practice, easy to launch, very shallow draft with center board up, 2500# on trailer. Origional full floation, though I would ckeck to make sure previous owner did not remove. Fast enough for fun, great for lakes, rivers, protected water ways, even coastal waters in good weather.