Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough
"aloha magenta line"--for ICW cruisers may be of interest..

This from NOAA, by way of an Industry newsletter I get, quote:

NOAA - removal of Intracoastal Waterway "Magenta Line" Route
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) issued a notice stating that it is removing the so-called "Magenta Line" or unofficial recommended route from its charts of the Intracoastal Waterway. The route has not been consistently maintained and some depictions have been erroneous. Comments on this action should be submitted by 26 December. 78 Fed. Reg. 59339 (September 26, 2013).

unquote
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: "aloha magenta line"--for ICW cruisers may be of interest..

So they are sacking the guy who paints it on the water? That sux!
Old 09-26-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Part of the budget problem I guess. I imagine the ICW won't be nearly as busy now. Good start a run on fine magenta markers - wonder if you can buy futures in this commodity?
Old 09-26-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
This from NOAA, by way of an Industry newsletter I get, quote:

NOAA - removal of Intracoastal Waterway "Magenta Line" Route
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) issued a notice stating that it is removing the so-called "Magenta Line" or unofficial recommended route from its charts of the Intracoastal Waterway. The route has not been consistently maintained and some depictions have been erroneous. Comments on this action should be submitted by 26 December. 78 Fed. Reg. 59339 (September 26, 2013).

unquote
There is an article on this subject in the current edition of BoatUS Magazine. Evidently, none of the Agencies know which of them is responsible for maintaining the Magenta Line so they are playing Hot Potato with the matter. The problem is that while channels have migrated, the Magenta Line frequently has not and many boaters have been led astray and ended up in shallow poop as a result. For our part we have never relied on the Line but many, and particularly power boaters, do with predictable, bad, outcomes. Better no Line than one that will lead unsuspecting/trusting folks into difficulty.
downeast450 likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 09-26-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

With quite a number of east coast ICW transits and one from NO to Apalachicola with a 9' draft, during the period that the ICW was well maintained, I learned to navigate it without needing wheels on the boats' bottoms.
First and foremost, stay away from the marks. The ICW was primarily maintained for barge traffic and the marks were protected from errant barges by big mounds of spoil. They are NOT at the edge of the deep water.
Second, imagine a 100' to 150'+ foot barge with a tug pushing it. Where would the deepest water be for the tug? Not necessarily in the middle of the channel, especially in the turns and the set up for the turns.
Just like in river navigation, the deepest water should be to the outside of a bend from center channel.
Third, at inlets there can be an uncharted bar which can cross the center channel, so slow down and feel your way, don't just assume the channel is as charted, especially after a big blow.
There is (was) a federal mandate that the ECICW be maintained at ten feet, but funding was based on traffic (commercial, NOT pleasure craft) and since federal dredging stopped completely during the 8 years of the Bush administration, commercial traffic was forced outside in many areas so the funding has not caught up to the need.
The only place I ever ran aground with a four foot draft or less was crossing the inlet (south side) south of Wrightsville Beach. I have done the trip from Jax to St Lucie with a shrimp boat drawing 8' running day and night without problems, but again all my trips were before dredging stopped.
Good luck and write your congressional representatives and demand ICW dredging funding.
Old 09-26-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

I've noticed that in some areas where one may not intuitively know where the waterway should be, that the charts don't include the magenta line. Save your old charts.
Old 09-29-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
...The problem is that while channels have migrated, the Magenta Line frequently has not and many boaters have been led astray and ended up in shallow poop as a result. For our part we have never relied on the Line but many, and particularly power boaters, do with predictable, bad, outcomes. Better no Line than one that will lead unsuspecting/trusting folks into difficulty.
There goes my retirement plan to open a towing and hauling business next to a "magenta shoal". That was going to be the name of the business too, "magenta shoal towing". Darn.

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 11-19-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Looks like the magenta line might not necessarily be gone forever, according to the latest from NOAA's Coastal Survey (released after thread started). Apparently, NOAA is looking for input on whether the line is useful and if so, how can the accuracy be improved?

Seems to me that it ought to be up to each vessel to decide the route they'd like to take based on the most current charts, local knowledge, etc.
DJR351 likes this.

Old 11-19-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

One could just as rationally and easily say that NOAA should simply stop making charts, since they have to be revised and maintained so often and THAT'S such a big expense as well.

Charts, buoys, EPA-compliant red dye to paint the line in the water...I have to agree with their logic, let's just save money and shut the whole thing down. Right.
Old 11-19-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Seems to me that it ought to be up to each vessel to decide the route they'd like to take based on the most current charts, local knowledge, etc.
It has always been that way.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)