Double vang? Rigging question from a beginner - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-26-2013 Thread Starter

Double vang? Rigging question from a beginner

I was at the docks ogling boats and I saw one that looked particularly stunning so I walked over for a closer look. It's a gorgeous boat, well cared for. I was told it's a Valiant 40 (I don't know boats well enough to identify it myself).

Anyway, it has some rigging that confuses me. It looks like twin vangs connected to the genoa car track. That's probably not it at all, but I'm hoping someone could explain the function of this rig. What the heck is this?

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-26-2013

Re: Double vang? Rigging question from a beginner

I'm guessing that is a boom preventer setup. Keeps the boom from accidentally swinging across the cockpit.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-26-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Those are preventers, used to prevent an accidental jibe when going downwind or wing and wing.

It's more common to see those and a vang rigged. I guess you could use those as a vang only, but you'd have to adjust it on every tack or jibe which would be really annoying.

Another common setup is to have the vang setup with a snap shackle. Then you can unclip it from the mast and clip it to a track to act as a preventer.

I'm no longer participating on SailNet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex W For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (09-26-2013)
post #4 of 9 Old 09-26-2013

Yes vang/ preventer, they are clipped to the staysail tracks to keep the side decks clear at dock side and sailing at higher angles. They would be moved to the rail more off the wind.
The Following User Says Thank You to ctl411 For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (09-26-2013)
post #5 of 9 Old 09-26-2013 Thread Starter

OK, got it. The only preventers I've seen (again, beginner here) have been run forward and not used blocks.

So does this boat not have a boom vang? Or would cranking down on the preventer serve the same function?
post #6 of 9 Old 09-26-2013 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Yes vang/ preventer, they are clipped to the staysail tracks to keep the side decks clear at dock side and sailing at higher angles. They would be moved to the rail more off the wind.
I should hit refresh before I post... So this boat wouldn't need a traditional boom vang run to the mast, because these preventers would hold the boom down. That makes sense.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Another common setup is to have the vang setup with a snap shackle. Then you can unclip it from the mast and clip it to a track to act as a preventer.
I hope this is not a hijack to the OP....Alex, can you explain a bit more how this set up would be rigged? Is this just a line running from the boom where the vang is? I've been looking at different preventer setups and trying to decide what's best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38
post #8 of 9 Old 09-26-2013
Master Mariner

IMO these are too far inboard to be used as a preventer. As mentioned above a preventer is usually run from the boom end forward as a single line.
I have a very similar system, though with just one block and tackle which I use as a vang, but when tacking I must move the end on deck (on the genny track) to the other side.
This appears to be a vang system that can be handled from the cockpit without the jam cleat at the deck block that my system uses.
I'm not too sure that it wouldn't be a bit more versatile if the deck ends were to the genny track, rather than the staysail track (farther outboard) but it certainly wouldn't be as neat. Pretty nifty though.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

post #9 of 9 Old 09-26-2013

Boom preventer / vang. it has snap shackles so it can be move to the rail but would work from the jib track. on Valiant 40 the genoa/ foresail track is way aft and would not work for the preventer . it is a cutter rig so most likely no genoa

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"FULL TILT" SOVEREL 33
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.