Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2013
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Re: The Future of Boat Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post
For what it's worth, I'm definitely one of those people. I'm a life-long renter at 40 and I don't own a car. With regards to home-ownership, I can't begin to understand why people want to mow lawns and deal with condo boards in their free time. Car ownership was also a drag - I ride my Vespa or take Metro or use ride-share programs (Zipcar) and taxis to get around.

If I could rent a sailboat I would do that. If there was a sailboat sharing program that worked nearly as good as Zipcar, I would be right on that. But I've looked and most of the options are pretty bad. Maybe there's a young sailor out there building the Zipcar of the sailing world, but I suspect there are very few locations with enough sailors to make it worth their while.

I am a member of a not-for-profit sailing club that is similar to the Zipcar model except you pay one price for the entire season and you get unlimited access to boats. Liberty Sailing Club - Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Old 09-26-2013

Slayer is on a distinguished road

When, on any given weekend, I see at least half the boats swinging idly on their mooring, I think that boat sharing seems like a great idea.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
I am a member of a not-for-profit sailing club that is similar to the Zipcar model except you pay one price for the entire season and you get unlimited access to boats. Liberty Sailing Club - Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Are you racing in the Philly Regatta on Saturday? I was hoping to find someone to crew with, but alas it looks like I have a School Board retreat that morning (though I can't bring myself to RSVP for that 'cause I'd rather go sailing).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 09-26-2013
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Are you racing in the Philly Regatta on Saturday? I was hoping to find someone to crew with, but alas it looks like I have a School Board retreat that morning (though I can't bring myself to RSVP for that 'cause I'd rather go sailing).
I participated last year. I am not sailing in the regatta this weekend; I am on the Chesapeake Bay starting tomorrow evening giving an ASA 104 course. I believe all seven of my clubs boats will be racing this year. You can e-mail the club to see if any of the skippers need crew.
Old 09-27-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Also, with fewer sailors, not only will the cost of boats, parts, and services tend to rise, but sailors will have less say in decisions made about water use and access to the water. Sailors will become more of a fringe group whose needs can be ignored with impunity. If yacht clubs, sailing clubs, boating co-ops, and community sailing associations disappear, sailors will have fewer options for launching, storing, and enjoying their boats and for learning from other sailors, recruiting crew, and generally having fun with other sailors.

I think the decline in sailing is shared not only by sports with high capital costs, but also by sports that require significant time and concentration commitments to reach a high enough level of skill to fully enjoy the sport.
bljones likes this.
Old 09-27-2013
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Eh. It's already all happened, and it's fine - the cost of new boats is astronomical, and will remain so. 25-35 year olds can't afford them, no surprise; they're meant for the 55+ set with lots of disposable income. Will today's 25 year olds become those wealthy middle aged types? Dunno, but I suspect some will.

I'm 33, and I bought my first boat 3 years ago for $500 (ok, it was a real steal). Then I sold it for $1k, and this past summer borrowed a friend's unused boat (I paid for the slip). It's a municipal marina and very reasonable. We're not really the vacation type, so I considered the yearly slip cost my vacation investment. We did rent a cottage close to the boat last summer for a week for $500.

Lots of production boats from the 60s and 70s around for cheap. I got both my boats for near-free, but either would have gone for less than $2500 with the OB, and boats in that range hold on to their value. What is it, 7k C27's, 6k C30's, a zillion Grampians and Tanzers and Hinterhoellers and Northerns etc etc made all over North America. Someone is selling a cheap, fun boat close to where you are :-)

Why waste money on a car or a house?
bljones likes this.
Old 09-27-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

this is all related to the Boomers and their thirst for money and power. I am not characterizing all of them, but there are even a couple in my family who have sacrificed everything for a mountaintop house that nobody visits them at. (yes, I have an uncle who was extremely successful and owns a mountain top house in colorado)

Their kids (and their grandkids) have rebeled against this, as all kids do, and want nothing of the sort of "greed" they see in their parents. Couple this with an interconnectedness that has been unseen before in the world, and you get a lot of people with no urge to buy an expensive "Yacht" and get away.

Not only is the idea of owning a "yacht" so their parents, but many of the youngest generations cannot survive without being completely coupled to their electronic devices.

They do not understand it, they do not want to understand, and they are -not- going to understand it. My 12 year old neice will not go sailing with me because I will not let her bring her iPad (mostly because I bought it for her and do not want to see it get ruined)
jameswilson29 likes this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 09-27-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
Yes, sailing clubs are the best option available if you don't want to own. Sailing Club of Washington is a nice option, very inexpensive, and I've recommended it to others. But it wasn't going to work for me - I'm already bored with sailing on the Potomac and I dislike sailing out of that marina as it's right next to National Airport. A lot of decent-looking sailing clubs on Chesapeake are just too far from DC to make for a decent day-sailing option. And expensive, although admittedly still cheaper than maintaining your own boat.
Old 09-27-2013
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

For the record, I took a lot of HS/university-aged students sailing over the past 3 years (I work with teens). They loved it. They are all addicted to their phones tho, I could see that being a problem for some. Maybe it's just an Ontario thing? Very watersport oriented here, though the kids immediately think jetski or searay when they hear I have a boat.
Old 09-27-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedboy View Post
For the record, I took a lot of HS/university-aged students sailing over the past 3 years (I work with teens). They loved it. They are all addicted to their phones tho, I could see that being a problem for some. Maybe it's just an Ontario thing? Very watersport oriented here, though the kids immediately think jetski or searay when they hear I have a boat.
Just curious. Any sense for how many of them pursued learning how to sail?