Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Re: The Future of Boat Ownership

I will be fifty this year (). I have been in a yacht club one way or another since 1969 and I am *ALWAYS* the youngest person in the club! When I was 6 it might have made sense, but now???
The decline you all fear is very well underway.
NaviGsr likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

There will be a subset of folks who will want to cruise. Either before swallowing the anchor of career and family commitments or after vomiting up the anchor of said commitments. The eternal call of the sea and blue water is undeniable to some and always will be. Like our society will further stratify with little middle class, sailboats will evolve to cheap readily available small boats allowing trills and chills ( also honing skills) and durable seaboats allowing part or full time liveaboard. Even now with alternative energy sources, watermakers, Wifi boosters, ssb/modem set ups, sat phones one can cruise the world being dependent on the dirt folks only for consumables and spare parts. In an information society this allows one to simultaneously be "connected" but disconnect from dirt living.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 09-27-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

Like most people my age (40) I have trouble not looking at my smartphone too often. However, this can't explain the decline in sailing - it's much easier to check Facebook from your boat than from your bike and people my age are all into bicycle racing, which is used to be a pretty marginal activity.
Old 09-27-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

I would say the millenials are one of the hardest hit groups of the recession. There are fewer jobs and the ones on offer have low pay. As it is going they are becoming the lost generation. Even if it does get better they have already missed some years of income generation they will never get back. It's a travesty the political elites don't bother about.
Old 09-27-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

something else to add.. what other sport uses fear to sell it's gear? Skiing, Motorcycling, Skateboarding, heck even flying do not use the sheer amount of fear that many people who sell our gear do.

You need the latest lifejacket - incase you fall overboard
You need the latest laser flares - so they can find you
you need the latest GPS - So you don't run aground
you need AIS - So the ships can see you
You need self deploying ladders - so you can get back aboard
you need self inflating liferafts - in case the boat sinks.

Fear fear fear. When my parents had our grampian, we sailed many a day and night along the shore. We had lifejackets, a radio, flares, and sighting compass.

That's it. We didn't sink, we didn't fall overboard and die, we did not get rundown by a freighter...

It's no wonder people think sailing is too dangerous

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 09-27-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

And of course there's AirBnB. In fact, I'm shocked this boat has had no renters:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/848474
Old 09-27-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post
And of course there's AirBnB. In fact, I'm shocked this boat has had no renters:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/848474
Miami Herald (may have a paywall) recently had an article about nascent boat sharing / P2p Boat Renting sprouting up.

Making waves in ‘the sharing economy’: Peer-to-peer boat rental companies arrive in South Florida - Business Monday - MiamiHerald.com

I do think this is the future...along with outfits like Sailtime. The cost of boats has just kept going up and up and up, with no end in sight. So like real estate where house sharing and airbnb came up, the future will have a significant amount of boatsharing.
Old 09-27-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post

I do think this is the future...along with outfits like Sailtime. The cost of boats has just kept going up and up and up, with no end in sight. So like real estate where house sharing and airbnb came up, the future will have a significant amount of boatsharing.
I agree, I think Sailtime represents the direction boat 'ownership' will increasingly take in the foreseeable future... As many production builders have been building boats largely for charter service, they will continue to do so for time-sharing, and increasingly focus on accommodations and comfort for short stints aboard, and place less of a premium on things like storage for longer cruises, sufficient tankage for extended periods, and so on...

The other Wave of the Future? "Commuter Cruising", and increasing reliance on a service like Dockwise...

I know I'm a broken record on this subject, but in my observation cruising 'sailors' are sailing far less than they used to... Numerous reasons for that, but primarily it reflects a shift from cruising under sail as an ACTIVITY, to more of a LIFESTYLE... Many folks simply aren't really 'out there' for the SAILING anymore, but rather seem to be taking extended vacations aboard trawlers with masts :-)

The charter business will continue to boom, of course... The Annapolis Boat Show will be a reflection of that, with an astonishing percentage of the show's real estate now given over to the catamaran charter companies... It's no coincidence that the charter ads precede the brokerage section in the back of CRUISING WORLD, and have done so for quite some time...
Old 09-27-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
but many of the youngest generations cannot survive without being completely coupled to their electronic devices.
That was the point NPR was trying to make when it compared the baby boomer generation regarding cars. Today there is no longer any need to leave the house if your connected. Many kids today don't want to leave the house.

I ask my kids friends, want to go fishing? They just look at me like I'm insane.
For the record, my kids don't go out anymore, they need to be connected..
I remember when being connected meant you knew the guy who had the good stash at his house.

Getting back to the topic of sailing/boat ownership, sugar coat it anyway you'd like but sailing/boat ownership is a rich mans sport. Sure many of us make adjustments/sacrifices in our budgets that allow us to enjoy this, but it's not cheap for the average working man or working family.

John E mentioned Sail Time. I personally don't see how that's cheap. You don't have a boat payment or any of the headaches associated with owning a boat but you don't have a boat either. For many of us, boat ownership, working on the boat, just hanging out on boat is what lifts our skirt.

The Boston Sail Time is just shy of 7K a season. That's a lot of cash to flush down the toilet to basically lease a boat for a season that you don't own...
bljones likes this.
Old 09-27-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

I know I'm a broken record on this subject, but in my observation cruising 'sailors' are sailing far less than they used to...
And I'll sound like a broken record to say how incorrect the old timers memories are.

The cruising folk of yesteryear, say the 1960s and 70's who circumnavigated have a HUGE death rate per captia compared with today.

They died like flies out there.

These days with thousands doing long passages and hundreds doing circumnavigations every year there are precious few who die and those that do are the old timers who have never learned! People like Bountys boss and another, still too fresh to name in an old clunker off New Zealand.

That lots of folks are using Dockwise is not the be slagged off at but complimented! Those who are time poor to cross the Atlantic, or the time of year is wrong, or their experience level is not high enough are shoving their boats on a ship! GREAT!! thats a good thing, not a bad thing.

Newer people are smarter, more efficient and more knowledgeable. Plus they have more and better information at the touch of a few buttons.

Any of these 1970s books one reads, including the Pardy's, you wonder how they hell they survived. Many didn't! Read their books and they are a litany of other boats they heard disappear.

Mark

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.