Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2013
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Re: The Future of Boat Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Sorry yam

Good luck with your premise. My this place be your sailing respite. I'll stay off it.
No worries Sal. Feel free to contribute as much as you like.

Old 10-01-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

Again I haven't read the book but I was curious enough to look at some in depth reviews of it and an interview with the author. It's hard to have a deep discussion about it without getting into the politics but I will try and I will apologize ahead of time for the long post.

Though not a millennial, I apparently share the values the author talks about. I was born in 64 and my father was a Marine in the Pacific during WWII. I'm at the very tail end of the baby boom. My home town had less than 1,000 people, we lived in a modest house on a lake. Most structures on the lake at the time were cabins. By the time I finished high school, the vast majority of the cabins were replaced by large year round homes and the "town" was now a small suburb with a population of 8,000. Today there are about 25,000 people living there.

The modest home I grew up in is at the end of a long line of McMansions. There is no way I could afford to buy property anywhere near there though my income adjusted for inflation is a fair bit more than what my parents made.

After living in a different suburb for about 10 years after I graduated from college, I moved to a city because my wife and I spent a lot of our time there anyway. There were quite a few new young families in our neighborhood that came from small towns and suburbs. I suppose we represent the beginnings of a reverse white flight.

I belong to a sailing club that doesn't have room for all the people that want to join. We share a building with a more traditional sailing yacht club that's trying to figure out how to deal with its declining membership. Our sailing club has people of all ages and many of them are new to sailing which is hopeful.

To me there are regional realities that are going to have a huge impact regardless of what millennials want. Membership in our sailing club is fairly inexpensive for two reasons. The first is that the club can tap into a large supply of used boats. The second is that moorings in Minneapolis are relatively cheap. They are cheap because gas powered motor boats aren't allowed on Minneapolis lakes without a special permit. This is a situation that obviously isn't going to exist everywhere.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
If we can't assume that I will ask one of the Administrators to remove this post.
Y'know, i was right there with you until you scrawled this line.

Sorry, "Don't make me pull this car over!" wasn't effective when i was a kid, it is even less effective now.

Hey tdw, remove this post- the OP doesn't like discussion that doesn't fit his paradigms, so kill it.

In fact, let's do that to all of the posts that stray from the OP's focus... and then we can all post to the 4 threads remaining.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-02-2013
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

So here's my observation/question, Yam: the through-the-roof COL on the coasts has made home ownership impossible or elusive, and the assumption or anecdotal observation is that these millennials can only conceive of life in the big city.

But what about the flyover country? My friends on the coasts struggled and struggle into their 30s to make ends meet - I grew up in DC and have tons of friends who would love to buy but may never get there (and a bunch who only bought cause they caught the 2008 dip in the market). But I went to college in Pittsburgh, and my few friends who stayed there bought right after graduation, for 1/3 the cost of the coast. And there are plenty of cities that are even cheaper.

Does the economic or social pull of the coasts mean no one can consider going where they can afford to live? Some things don't change - the $20k sedan isn't cheaper in Ohio than NJ, nor is a fridge. But buying a house for $150k (or $80k, or less...) makes a big difference compared to $450k, even if you're only making $60-80k instead of $125-150k...

(Don't get me started on how anyone in your/our silly country is supposed to afford health care, I've lived all of 1 year in the States since I turned 21...)