Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Why buy a brand new $150,000 sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I guess when everyone in America has their own golf course (is there even enough land for that?) they can just have all the work, groundskeeping etc. done by illegal aliens.

No, wait....... They've all been deported back home in this Republican paradise.

Damn, how are we going to get the grass cut?

Maybe if we bake a few cakes for them to eat.....
Yup, that does blow a pretty big hole in his Theory of Self-Deportation, alright..

Simple solution - re-training for furloughed Federal workers as landscapers, Win/Win all around... :-)

One of the more sobering pictures painted in the book I mentioned earlier - GRAND AMBITION, about the building of the megayacht LADY LINDA - was one where Von Allmen and one of the head guys at Trinity were whining about illegal immigration, and how it would be the downfall of America...

Completely lost on them, was the fact that the most hellish, hazardous work to be done during the construction of such yachts, was the final fairing of the hull and superstructure, a job that involves the repeated application and sanding of highly toxic fairing compounds...

The sort of job that at Trinity, pretty much was being done exclusively by undocumented immigrant workers from Central America...
TJC45 likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 10-02-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I guess when everyone in America has their own golf course (is there even enough land for that?) they can just have all the work, groundskeeping etc. done by illegal aliens.

No, wait....... They've all been deported back home in this Republican paradise.

Damn, how are we going to get the grass cut?

Maybe if we bake a few cakes for them to eat.....
I just wanted the full quote without the "idiot" reference. Your signature says it all.
Old 10-02-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I see your point - the idiocy of that situation and statement IS really self evident isn't it?
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-02-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Simple solution - re-training for furloughed Federal workers as landscapers, Win/Win all around... :-).
Won't work - they'll all have their OWN golf courses in the Romney/Republican Nirvana and they'll all be looking for groundsmen too.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-03-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Penske's an interesting guy. Built an automotive empire. Like many didn't start on the bottom wrung to get that done. But you can't argue with results! he definately took the ball and ran with it! And unlike other rich kid success stories, at least he doesn't a TV show where he fires people.

More recently, Roger has adopted the spirit of the Shine runners where bending a rule or two is the way it's done. He was caught up in his own NASCAR scandal at Richmond. While relative to what happened at Waltrip racing during the same race it could be called scandal lite, fixing a race is still fixing a race. And, ethically it is what it is.

Radio traffic indicates that Penske, on the roof of the grandstand with the spotters at Richmond, cut a deal with Front Row motorsports to allow his driver to get ahead of Front Row's driver. Shortly after the back and forth radio communication took place Front Row's driver slowed down allowing Penske's driver to overtake him. Something he'd been unable to do previously. The payoff would be future tech support to Front Row. Something Front Row had sought from Penske in the past.

Penske defends himself by saying there was no direct radio communications between himself and Front Row's crew chief. Yet, the driver of Front Row's car could hear all the traffic between his spotter and his crew chief where the crew chief is confirming that the deal is being proffered by Penske himself. The spotter saying "The captain is standing right here next to me." Once confirmed, Front Row's car suddenly got slower. Penske's car just had to keep on doing what it had been doing. it finished in front of Front Row's car.

Gee, a fixed race in NASCAR? Who'd a thunk it? NASCAR didn't buy Penske's claim of innocence and sanctioned both teams. Penske being the billionaire he is didn't get the book thrown at him as did Michael Waltrip, Michael Waltrip Racing, who did pretty much the same thing.

I guess the upshot is it's good that he really does get NASCAR where cheating is an accepted part of the program.( accepted by the teams, not the officials) After-all they started as outlaws! Penske got rich by understanding how the game is played!

Last edited by TJC45; 10-03-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2013
Senior Moment Member

Penske was born pretty middle class, maybe upper middle. Certainly not a silver spoon type like Trump.

I'm surprised that he would cheat that blatantly. Of course there are degrees of what could be called cheating - back in the Trans Am days when Donohue drove for him he came up with the famous "unobtanium" line when asked what some of his Camaro parts were made of.

Like Smokey Yunick famously said "If the rules don't say I can't do it, I have to assume I CAN".

That said, the incident you describe sounds just plain sleazy.

Disappointing.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 10-03-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

I won't take anything away from Roger's business building career. They guy came an extraordinary distance. He coulda quit building after he bought his first Chevy dealership and lived a very comfortable life. But that was only a next step in mega building.

How much of a leg up did he get? As a teenager he was fixing and flipping race cars. Not something that can be done on paper route money. And in his 20s bought his first car dealership. Car dealerships cost a lot more today, but relatively speaking not something most 20 somethings could swing back then. Still, it was his vision and his drive ( no pun intended) that built a billion dollar empire. That and Penske Blue! Which, IMO, is still the best color for a Corvette!

As for the scandal - yeah that's disapppointing. In times past, jockeys and horse owners have gone to jail or worse for doing the same thing. But, if you take it in context of the sport, within NASCAR there is almost bragging rights about who can break the rules and not get caught.

Last edited by TJC45; 10-03-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
Penske Blue! Which, IMO, is still the best color for a Corvette!
Especially with yellow wheels.

Quote:
As for the scandal - yeah that's disappointing. In times past, jockeys and horse owners have gone to jail or worse for doing the same thing. But, if you take it in context of the sport, within NASCAR there is almost bragging rights about who can break the rules and not get caught.
If there was the same kind of betting on NASCAR as horse racing they probably WOULD have gone to jail.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 10-03-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

..... and so a thread " Why buy a brand new $150,000 sailboat? " looks destined for PRWG. Now does that realy make any sense at all ?

Please people ... leave the politics for Off Topic. The other thread is about to be moved (or may already have been moved) and so will this one if need be.

Once upon a time one of my fellow mods took a mixed up thread ike this one and moved the political posts to Off Topic. For this he was publicly castigated and has vowed not to go through that again. Smart fellow.

Ergo, if the OT stuff continues this thread will go PRWG holus bolus.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-03-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Thanks TDW