Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
Re: Why buy a brand new $150,000 sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
For the kind of boat I have, $150K wouldn't even touch a new model!

I agree with him in principal. I paid cash for my H40. And it feels good to have that freedom. But I have no problem with people who borrow for what they want either - as long as they can afford it. It's their money...their time...their call.

I looked at some of this dude's other videos.

BugOutVehicles - YouTube

Okaaaay. The survivalist superiority complex is just really weird.

Survivalism is only necessary when it's necessary. And it's just not necessary. I'll stick with the good life.
I think Smack got it totally right here. Different strokes for different folks!

I bought my first larger sailboat when I was 55. I was not planning on sailing off into the sunset and living aboard. I just wanted a bigger boat to sail and use for a couple of long trips a year. I have lots of other hobbies and things that take my time. I am anal about maintenance and did not want to spend a lot of time fixing other peoples mistakes and lack of maintenance. Hell, things break on new boats, just not as often.
I bought what I wanted because I could and it was what worked for me. I'm happy, and hopefully anyone who makes a different decision is as well.
welshwind and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

There's no right or wrong answer. Actually it's a silly question.

It depends on your financial situation, what you want/enjoy and how long you intend to keep the boat.

There's a lot to be said for having a new boat with a new engine, new electronics, set up exactly as you want her, where no one has mucked up the wiring or the maintenance. Plus it feels REALLY good!

Your financial situation is a huge part of the equation. For some $10K is a big investment. For others $40K cash is a reasonable outlay. For a lucky few dropping $300K on a $600K boat gives them a payment that's perfectly comfortable. After all how many million dollar homes do we sail past along the coast...

I'm just happy mine is paid for.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 09-27-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-27-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

They can't manufacture used boats so I encourage and applaud those who buy new. Take good care of them because in a few years I will buy it from you.

There are lots of ways to lose money buying a used boat. If a buyer has cash and buys new, they could resell the boat at a decent price, depreciating it over several years, having fun and then selling it for 30% less than they paid with no work to do.... that might be a good deal. I say bravo.

Oh and the prepper thing is the stupidest ever... but in case of economic collapse, zombie outbreak, whatever, I can think of few "bug out vehicles" that would be better than a big sailboat.
davidpm and Goblinfog like this.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 09-27-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-27-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I dont understand this thread.. the video is about a guy who bought an RV. Thats a motor home type thing. Doesnt go anywhere near water unless the guy cant drive.
Atlas likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-27-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

My baby cost $2200. 25 feet of completely seaworthy, coziness. Sure, I don't have a large salon or a shower, but I have beds for 4, and I can sail the coast of Maine on a shoe string. If I had to spend . . . . $40,000 on a boat and $5000/year slip/haul/storage/maintenance, there is no way I would be sailing. I'm thankful and blessed with my little trailer sailor. I get the thrill and freedom of sailing, stay for a week at a time in remote bays and hidden coves, anchor in as little as 3'-0 of water (dead low), take friends out, motor up to the fancy man's dock at the Lobstah, Shack, then pull her out, take her home for a wash and re-store for next trip. I'll never cross an ocean but don't want to. I'll never travel the ICW, but don't want to. I'll never date Michelle Pfeiffer . . . wait, I could go for that. But you get my point. Bigger does NOT mean better, or more committed to sailing. In many cases it means just the opposite. I've seen folks who have obviously been at anchor for weeks. In Maine????? Well, off my soapbox and back to work.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 09-27-2013
Son of Njord

Thermophile is on a distinguished road

The way i look at cars and boats are similar to what everyone else here is saying. I wouldnt mind a new boat, but my CAR cost me 3k and thst was a lot. If i can muster enough for a small boat and afford maint. Ill be happy. But if i could drop 150k on a boat to live in, id do it.

Come on luxky 7s!
TJC45 likes this.
Old 09-27-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Why do people buy $150k new boats? Because it's what they want. Boats, like other big toys, make zero economic sense. Regardless, new, used, big, little, none is justifiable from an economic POV. None is an investment.

However, from a value added POV they are totally justifiable. That is value added to enjoyment of your life. A boat is a value trade off. Would you rather have cash in hand or time on the water?

The question isn't why do people buy $150k new boats, it is did they get $150k of enjoyment from the trade? If they got that or multiples of that, money well spent!
alecs123 likes this.
Old 09-27-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I dont understand this thread.. the video is about a guy who bought an RV. Thats a motor home type thing. Doesnt go anywhere near water unless the guy cant drive.
some do
Attached Thumbnails
Why buy a brand new 0,000 sailboat?-unknown-2.jpeg  
MarkofSeaLife and TTC like this.
Old 09-27-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

$150000 loan for 15 years at 3 to 4 % interest rate is monthly payment of $1000-$1100 per month, depending on the rate obtained. (Not 1500 for 20 years.)
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Old 09-27-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Is this enough to buy all active Sailnetters a new boat?

Regards,
Brad
TJC45 likes this.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.