Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013

contrarian is on a distinguished road
Re: Got to Stop being Stupid

Quote:
Now, please go back and read stuff properly and realise those with lots of miles do know what we are talking about and not trying to stick a dick in your ear (Aussie slang for sticking a dick in your ear).
Is this the same as pissing in your ear? That one I've "erd" but never dick in your ear.
Dose Darnd Aussies never seas to amase me!
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
Now if I could afford a roller main...
I would agree with you. That would be very nice.

Ralph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-27-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I was gunna say the same about the stream. I've been out in it with north winds enough to know I don't want to do it again. But I don't think he was within 50 miles of the stream.
Old 09-27-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Pictures do not do it justice. ...
They almost never do.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 09-27-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Gene worked for me for a few years.
Bob, I'd like to work for you for a few years. Where do I apply?

Harborless - You need a blog! These are the stories/lessons that make blogging so valuable for both us and you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-27-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I was gunna say the same about the stream. I've been out in it with north winds enough to know I don't want to do it again. But I don't think he was within 50 miles of the stream.
I have seen the stream come close inshore between Ponce Inlet and St. Augustine. The counter current completely disappeared and the waves were as bad as farther offshore. Only once, but that was not my normal area of operations.
We nearly lost a Viking 57' sport fish going into St Augustine and the 65' Hatteras going in ahead of me rolled his deck under when he turned to enter the inlet. I wanted to go in at Ponce, but the owner was aboard and wanted to try for St. Augustine. We knew a norther was acomin, but he thought we could beat the front because of the extra 2 knots or so of current. He was wrong by about 12 miles; from 37 knots down to 5 in ten minutes. And damage to the boat, even at 5 knots.
That's why I charge extra when an owner wants to go along on a delivery.
Lots extra.
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 09-27-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

I am a bit confused. Two weeks ago had great sail with winds out of north and 10 to 15 knot breeze. Now for fall and winter winds prevail from north so what am i to underdtand? No sailing until spring and a return of the southerly winds?
stream was 27 miles off ponce as of yesterday.

when is it cool to go in fall and winter with predominately northern winds?
Old 09-27-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

There are others here with tons more experience than me, but in response to OP prior stated concern about gybing in following seas, running on genoa alone completely eliminates the threat of a gybe. Perhaps that's obvious, but I didn't see it mentioned.

Virtually all my sailing is in protected river water, but last May I was down in Delaware Bay by Miah Maull Shoal when it started to blow and I was caigjt in 4-5' following seas. I did manage to get on the cabin top to get my sail down (no lazy jacks on my boat), and then ran on the genoa. Even with that, I had my hands full pulling the wheel all the way to port every few seconds to prevent broaching. It took both hands, and lasted about 90 minutes. I had a water bottle on my binnacle drink holder and could not pause long enough to take a drink. My mouth dried out so much I ended up with cracked lips, but I just couldn't grab the water bottle.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 09-27-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Harbor, I think the answer to your winds question is : "it depends"

Wind strength is obviously a consideration. The source of the wind, The fetch and duration plays a big part in the sea state, as well as current, if present.

Is it wind generated by a frontal system? or land breezes generated by convection.
Is there a storm further out to sea that has generated a swell?

There's often more to consider than just the numerical speed.

Cold air is denser too.
chef2sail and Sal Paradise like this.
Old 09-27-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
I am a bit confused. Two weeks ago had great sail with winds out of north and 10 to 15 knot breeze. Now for fall and winter winds prevail from north so what am i to underdtand? No sailing until spring and a return of the southerly winds?
No, not at all. I am not leaving Georgia until November. Plenty of other cruisers will head south in Nov/Dec, heading to the keys and Bahamas. Just check the weather first.

What do you use for weather forecasts? Like Mark said, there could be a system hundreds of miles away, causing abnormally large waves for the local wind conditions.

A marginal forecast for us is 10-15 knots, and 2-3' seas. You may just see 20 knots of wind, and 5-6' seas with that forecast. At least we have.

For more serious passages, like crossing to the Bahamas, we'll step it down a notch. Again, as Mark said, you may find too little wind, and find yourself doing a lot of motoring. Still, better than getting your butt kicked!

We use NOAA forecasts, along with Passage Weather Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather, Windfinder - wind, wave & weather reports, forecasts & statistics worldwide, and Marine Forecast | Weather Underground

Also, I use Ugrib. It's free, but kind of a pain to get loaded and operational. Ugrib Free Download

I look at these. For me, if they vary quite a bit, there is probably some doubt about what the conditions will actually be. I either decide to take my chances with a favorable forecast (very seldom), or wait until things settle down and are more predictable.

Just pick a better day or two than what you had, and go have fun. You'll be fine. I can't wait for your next adventure!

Ralph

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.