Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By marianclaire
  • 1 Post By RobGallagher

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2013

Encore is on a distinguished road
Replacing a tired Atomic 4 Gas Engine

I have a 35 foot Hughes Sloop with an Atomic 4 gas engine that's getting tired. It's time to start looking at a replacement, but I don't want to go to the expense of a boat yard. I've been told there are Kubota or Beta drop in replacements that can be done while at the dock. I'm in Vancouver, BC, does anyone have advice on whether this is achievable and if there are referrals to mechanics in the Vancouver area?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2013

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
Re: Replacing a tired Atomic 4 Gas Engine

There is more to switching from gas to diesel than just the motor. Look here for other options. Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts Dan S/V Marian Claire
RobGallagher likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to marianclaire For This Useful Post:
Encore (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Hi Encore.
A replacement with a diesel engine would be doable at the dock. However unless you are doing the job yourself so that the extra time required has no cost, it probably won't save you much if anything over doing it on the hard when all is said and done. You would still need to haul out for the shaft and prop work.
Places like Shelter Island and Granville island provide space on the hard, and then companies providing different services will have shops there.
A better cost-savings would be to combine other work with the re-power, such as scraping and painting the bottom, replacing other thru-hulls, any needed keel repairs, polishing, mast and rigging service etc.

As a brief list you would likely need:
-new fuel tank (if still original it is likely to be nearing the end of it's lifespan also).
-Racor fuel filter and fuel lines.
-new control(single lever is now required for warranty coverage).
-engine package(Beta includes engine, transmission, coupler, gauges, and a 3 year warranty)
-new or remachined shaft
-new prop(some are close enough that they can be re-pitched, or used as a get-home spare)

My preference is for Beta, the reason we became dealer for them is that I was looking for options to re-power my own boat. They have the best warranty, better features and the best value in my opinion. Yanmar a close second, and for a boat that already had a Yanmar I'd re-power with the same for the savings there.

We are re-powering two sail-boats right now on Granville Island if you'd like to stop by and take a look.
A Stan Huntingford 36' nearing completion, engine in place already.
Also a Panda 40 Pilothouse, which is in the middle of tear down, awaiting engine shipment.

This is the best time of year to do it. This winter we have a 15% discount on haul outs, a discount on yard time either inside with the mast down, or outside on deck, and a 10% discount on labour.
Old 09-28-2013

Encore is on a distinguished road

thanks so much, which is your service or company? Are you working on Granville Island this weekend? would love to stop by to take a look at some point.
Old 09-28-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

You're welcome. Our company is Cutlass yacht services. We do almost everything in-house. From structural repairs, engine and driveline work to plumbing, electronics, electrical right up to the modern pod drives like Zeus/IPS.
We work with a few other companies only for specific jobs that make more sense to have done off site, like shaft machining or injector servicing. Working with sub-contractors makes it almost impossible to have control over everything to make sure it is done properly.

I'll be on the island 8:30AM-3:00PM tomorrow. I sent you a PM with my contact info.
Old 09-29-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Most A4s are direct drive while most diesels have a 2:1 reduction or higher. This means the A4 prop won't work well with the new diesel. You need a larger prop with higher pitch. Also check the direction of rotation. You don't the boat going backwards when in forward.
Old 09-29-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianclaire View Post
There is more to switching from gas to diesel than just the motor. Look here for other options. Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts Dan S/V Marian Claire
Having lived with an A4 for 10+ yrs, and done my share of business with the Moyers, I would replace it with a rebuilt from Moyer.

Properly taken care of, an A4 is a very reliable little beast. My new boat has a one of them strange oil burning Japanese built things that rattle and click. I'm learning to love it but I sort of miss my old A4.
travlineasy likes this.

Tags
atomic 4 engine