Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: How to report AIS violations?

I've often marveled about how the most trivial issues seem to turn into major debates up here. But I never thought that the idea of recreational sailboats giving way to an 11,000 tonne freighter would be debatable. This has to be a new record!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2013
Taking it day by day

DJR351 is on a distinguished road

Hence why they are a number of wreckreational sailors out there.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There is a tide in the affairs of men which taken advantage of at the flood, leads over the reef, on to adventure. Those men who fore go this high water of their life are forever left to ponder, a life bound wallowing in the shallows.......Julius Caesar
Old 10-01-2013

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I've often marveled about how the most trivial issues seem to turn into major debates up here. But I never thought that the idea of recreational sailboats giving way to an 11,000 tonne freighter would be debatable. This has to be a new record!
COLREGS are not trivial. There are parts of the world (England) that will fine you if you are not following them and that 11,000 tonne freighter reports you because you caused him or another ship to alter course because you did not do what was expected.

As I wrote earlier, if your altering course impacts other traffic who thought you would follow COLREGS correctly, and they then have to alter course as a result, you may well hear a lot of resentment on the VHF.

If the area is a channel which the vessels are restricted by draught or in a narrow channel and you are less than 20 meters, then of course they are stand on. However, Rule 9 does not negate Rule 13, overtaking.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 10-01-2013

'Trivial" was the wrong word. I should have said "obvious." A small sailboat giving way to an 11,000 tonne freighter is "obvious" and non-debatable. Yet you still insist on debating it. Have fun with that one.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 10-01-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
.....A small sailboat giving way to an 11,000 tonne freighter is "obvious" and non-debatable. Yet you still insist on debating it. Have fun with that one.
In practical terms, you are absolutely right. However, you introduced this line of discussion by using the technical term, stand-on, and declared that recreational traffic is stand-on to commercial. That is not what the COLREGs actually say, as there are only specific commercial vessels that are high up the food chain, or draft issues, or nuances when collision avoidance even goes into affect. Therefore, you got a form over function debate.

I think it makes everyone sharper to actually discuss the rules, despite the futility in this case. No one would stand-on until they were dead right.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
In practical terms, you are absolutely right. However, you introduced this line of discussion by using the technical term, stand-on, and declared that recreational traffic is stand-on to commercial...
I never said that. In fact, it is the opposite of what I said. I said that I would be the give way vessel. It was cupper3 who said that I would be the stand on vessel:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
...Otherwise that vessel at cruising speed and over taking you, you are the stand on vessel and it is the giveaway vessel...

Old 10-01-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
COLREGS are not trivial. There are parts of the world (England) that will fine you if you are not following them and that 11,000 tonne freighter reports you because you caused him or another ship to alter course because you did not do what was expected.

As I wrote earlier, if your altering course impacts other traffic who thought you would follow COLREGS correctly, and they then have to alter course as a result, you may well hear a lot of resentment on the VHF.

If the area is a channel which the vessels are restricted by draught or in a narrow channel and you are less than 20 meters, then of course they are stand on. However, Rule 9 does not negate Rule 13, overtaking.
Colregs:
They're restricted by draft in a channel; I'm required to stay out of the way.

Outside a narrow channel, if I see a ship or barge headed my way I'll make a clear course change that moves me AWAY from a point of possible collision such that my intentions are clear. If I'm even remotely close I'll hail them on 13 and let them know my intentions.

Common Sense:
Stay the hell away from something that is huge, can't stop or steer very well in close quarters, may not see you and can surely kill you.

Is there really something to debate here??????

I'm just glad I don't have to deal with ship traffic where I sail now...

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 10-01-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Colregs:
They're restricted by draft in a channel; I'm required to stay out of the way.

Outside a narrow channel, if I see a ship or barge headed my way I'll make a clear course change that moves me AWAY from a point of possible collision such that my intentions are clear. If I'm even remotely close I'll hail them on 13 and let them know my intentions.

Common Sense:
Stay the hell away from something that is huge, can't stop or steer very well in close quarters, may not see you and can surely kill you.

Is there really something to debate here??????
Exactly...

For me, only one rule applies when running a body of water like Delaware Bay:

Size Matters...

Both pics taken on Delaware Bay last October, on the same day the BOUNTY departed New London...
jimgo likes this.
Old 10-01-2013
Noah's Bosun

Cap-Couillon is on a distinguished road

I believe this is known as the "Gross Tonnage" rule....

Not written down but then again, who wants to be dead-right ?

Onboard - Solitaire
Old 10-01-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I *am* frequently the stand-on vessel when encountering large ships NOT in the Bay. This may be an area not experienced by many who sail mostly in their local area. It is VERY confusing to the ship if I start doing random stuff when they expect me by the COLREGS to keep going. I will call them on the VHF and ask what their plans are. If I can't raise them we assume no one is on the bridge. Then we revert to "Monty Python" colregs, i.e RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!

This is entirely logical. A power boat, even a 900 foot long one, can change course out in the ocean to avoid one sailing vessel. This same ship in the Bay cannot do so without either running aground or hitting some OTHER sailboat. A small fleet of sailboats could effectively bring shipping to a halt in a confined area. In the ocean - not so much.

Last edited by Coquina; 10-01-2013 at 10:10 AM.