Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Float Plan Central

Good resource

Float Plan Central - Official Site of the Float Plan
Melrna, svHyLyte and fred1diver like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davidpm For This Useful Post:
mattt (09-29-2013), Melrna (10-02-2013), svHyLyte (09-29-2013)
Old 09-29-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Float Plan Central

I just registered in the LBO system for SVRS. It requires a float plan. Would like to hear from anyone else about how they time filing their float plan. As a decision to depart is often one made at the last minute, depending on weather, it seems like this could be a difficult requirement to accomplish. It seems like it could lock boaters into a set departure which we all know is unwise.
Old 09-29-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Thanks Dave,

Initially, I thought that this was a SERVICE that automated the process of logging, and acting on a float plan. Now I see that it is just a form...

BoatUS has a similar PDF form here: http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/FloatPlan.pdf

Or, as a .DOC form here; www.boatus.com\seaworthy\assets\doc\FloatPlan0810. doc

Now, if someone could create a website, where you post a float plan, and have you check in via internet, or telephone. If you don't check in within a specified time, a server would then call you (think ring-central) to make you check in, and if you don't answer, the server would start an automated escalation process.... Now THAT would be cool!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 09-29-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

OK, I've gotta ask...

Am I the only one here who has never, ever filed a float plan? :-)
Old 09-29-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

" to make you check in, and if you don't answer, the server would start an automated escalation process.... Now THAT would be cool! "

You can pretty much do that now with Outlook or many other email clients. Set up your float plan as an email message or attachment to a boilerplate letter. Use the software options to "Send on xx date".

If you make it to land before that date, you just kill that message in your outbox. If you don't make it home, the email is sent out on schedule and someone gets the "If you are reading this, I am lost at sea" message.
eherlihy likes this.
Old 09-29-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
OK, I've gotta ask...

Am I the only one here who has never, ever filed a float plan? :-)
Nope.

Not that I have an issue with others using them. Maybe I will too someday. Just seems pretty redundant to an EPIRB, VHF, SSB and cell phone, some of which are in the ditchbag next to the liferaft. Self sufficiency is the key.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-29-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Self sufficiency is the key. "
Uh? In that case, throw out the EPIRB, SSB, VHF and cell phone, because they all rely on contacting someone else. The float plan is the only fail-safe version of that, because it is the only version that "goes off" even if all the equipment fails. Let's say your boat gets hit by lighting. All those electronics may be toasted, along with your engine, and oh yes, maybe the rigging isn't feeling so good either.
But the float plan still works.

I'm not compulsive about them but "If you haven't heard from me by a week Tuesday..." isn't real hard.
Old 09-29-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Self sufficiency is the key. "
Uh? In that case, throw out the EPIRB, SSB, VHF and cell phone, because they all rely on contacting someone else......
Good point, I guess I chose my words incorrectly. One should be able to keep themselves from dying, not wait for someone to act upon an expired float plan. You could long be dead by then. The USCG won't just immediately launch the helos because your wife calls and says you're an hour late.

Therefore, the liferaft and ditchbag are key, which are well stocked with signal flares, radios, etc. That said, no electrical failure is going to take out the portable gps/vhf in the bag, nor the epirb. Certainly very unlikely to take out everything.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-29-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
" to make you check in, and if you don't answer, the server would start an automated escalation process.... Now THAT would be cool! "

You can pretty much do that now with Outlook or many other email clients. Set up your float plan as an email message or attachment to a boilerplate letter. Use the software options to "Send on xx date".

If you make it to land before that date, you just kill that message in your outbox. If you don't make it home, the email is sent out on schedule and someone gets the "If you are reading this, I am lost at sea" message.
The problem is that you need Outlook, and an MS-Exchange server.

I use Thunderbird, which does not allow you to send on a specific date in the future (just "later"), and in order for the message to be sent, my client has to be on-line... It would be great if this could be offered as a (free) service.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 09-29-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Good point, I guess I chose my words incorrectly. One should be able to keep themselves from dying, not wait for someone to act upon an expired float plan. You could long be dead by then. The USCG won't just immediately launch the helos because your wife calls and says you're an hour late.

Therefore, the liferaft and ditchbag are key, which are well stocked with signal flares, radios, etc. That said, no electrical failure is going to take out the portable gps/vhf in the bag, nor the epirb. Certainly very unlikely to take out everything.
Don't want to throw this thread off the rails because float plans are an interesting topic but I have read in other threads that all electronics often get fried in a direct lightning hit. Have heard that keeping a small gps in a microwave might protect it.

I guess no one else has tried filing a float plan on the local boater option? I can't be the only one who's registered to try this system.