Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2013

svQED is on a distinguished road
Dinghy Towing

I was recently watching an episode of Distant Shores and noticed that when they towed their dinghy behind the boat, they used two lines which made the dinghy go from side to side. I had never seen this before and am wondering what the benefits of doing this are. Also, how common is it and are how exactly would you go about setting it up?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Dinghy Towing

When I tow my dink I put a bridle on the two D rings on the tubes just above the waterline. These are meant the be the attachment points for towing.
Then I put a safety heavy bit of old genoa sheet on, and finally add the painters.

Between islands here its too short a passage to put the dink on deck but the gaps between the islands can be mighty rough!

I have lots of elasticity in the bridle lines
Old 09-29-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

we use a bridle to the two D rings and a single painter with a safety line to the center ring which is slightly loose during towing.
Old 09-29-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

svQED,

When towing, we tow our dink with 2 lines. One is poly to float. the other is not and we are very careful with it. Both are taken up to a cleat on the side deck for close maneuvering and close work. The two lines do not make our dink swing from side to side. It does swing in cretin wind/wave conditions.

As to why,..... I once gave away a new dink cruising the Bahamas. It was there in the evening, at day break, it was not.... OUCH

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Dinghy Towing-dinktow.jpg  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svQED View Post
I was recently watching an episode of Distant Shores and noticed that when they towed their dinghy behind the boat, they used two lines which made the dinghy go from side to side. I had never seen this before and am wondering what the benefits of doing this are. Also, how common is it and are how exactly would you go about setting it up?
Without seeing the vid, not sure what you're describing, or why anyone would actually WANT their dink to oscillate from side to side :-)

As others have described, you definitely want to use a secondary backup preventer. On a soft bottom inflatable, however, I wouldn't want to rely on on the towing rings glued to the tubes, solely. When I used to have an Avon Rover as my tender, I used to run my primary towing bridle through a loop on the bow eye, then underneath the bottom and back to a pair of padeyes bolted through the transom... It's a far more secure setup, in the event the tender might get swamped or take on a lot of water in a squall, whatever - and it also seemed to help lift the bow a bit, and help break the bottom suction that a soft-bottom inflatable can develop. Now that I have an RIB, one of the big advantages is the large towing eye bolted through the bottom... Still, some sort of bridle arrangement to the rings positioned outboard will definitely help in keeping the inflatable tracking straight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
As to why,..... I once gave away a new dink cruising the Bahamas. It was there in the evening, at day break, it was not.... OUCH

Greg
Well, there's one pretty easy way to avoid that one, of course... :-)

Old 10-01-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the board svQED!
Old 10-01-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

We use a bridle attached to the d-rings on the bow of the dink. Then a poly painter (floating) run to a stern cleat. We adjust painter length so that the dink's motion over the swells/waves is in rhythm with the mothership.

We've tried two painters in the past, but didn't like way it towed, mostly because of the side-to-side motion that you noted. I suppose if you tinker enough and get the lengths just right you can eliminate the sideways motion, but a single painter has work fine for us.

Old 10-01-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

For our RIB - an Avon 340 - one floating line to the towing eye secured through the fiberglass hull works great. For the soft bottom we used to have the only way it towed well was lifting the bow up out of the water.

I once tried to tow a canoe and it oscillated horribly. We tied a small round fender to the stern of the canoe and it made a great drogue and steadied the tow perfectly.

Old 10-01-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

The two bridle lines to D rings serve to minimize the yaw motion of the dingy. I advise also running a third line from the bridle junction to the inflatables's bow (an centerline eye or handle), and to adjust the length of that line so it pulls up before the other two lines.

After a lengthy trip towing a rib in rough seas using just two bridle lines, I found the wave action had almost completely slit the attachment patches holding the D ring straps, i.e the D rings were close to being ripped off.
Old 10-01-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Use a 2 point bridle at the dinghy AND the boat. I also have a length of bungee between the bridle lines at the boat. As the dingy pulls back (due to waves) the bridle lines try to straighten, the bungee resists and takes some of the shock.