Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2013

rosswisconsin is on a distinguished road
What kind of boat is this?

Hi, my son was given a 19 foot boat which he wants to restore as part of a boy scout project. We were told the boat is from the 50s, and was made by Johnson Boat Works in Minnesota. Since it is so old, there are no hull ID or other markings to go by. Any help or clues appreciated.

PS-I am grateful for all the suggestions thus far. We are in the Milwaukee area. The original owner is certain that the boat was built by Johnson Boat Works but I too have my suspicions. He is in his 80s and sometimes what he says and what he means are different...but you have to love an old sailor, and we do.

I am posting a few more pics which might shed additional light. If not, my sincere thanks fro trying.
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of boat is this?-img_20130824_142454_728.jpg   What kind of boat is this?-img_20130824_142429_992-copy.jpg   What kind of boat is this?-img_20130831_155412_276.jpg   What kind of boat is this?-img_20130831_155352_320.jpg   What kind of boat is this?-img_20130831_151135_894.jpg  

Last edited by rosswisconsin; 09-30-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2013

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Re: What kind of boat is this?

Pic would help.
Old 09-29-2013

Lucky dog 2 is on a distinguished road

Any pictures? Where in Wisconsin are you? East side Marine Museum in Manitowoc, South see Melges Boat works, or west side White Bear boat club.
Old 09-29-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Interlake?
Old 09-29-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Looks a bit like a Lightning:
LIGHTNING sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

But not quite.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2013

DiasDePlaya is on a distinguished road

This is not a Lightning, looks mora like a Pirata, an old German desing.

Old 09-30-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

not a Lighting the lighting bow is not round and there is no rudder fin. could be a Pirate . has the rounded bow and short mast of a Pirate . mast looks like it has jumpers but I did not know the Pitate had jumpers. the Pirate does have spreader but the ones in the pic look a little short for spreaders.

Last edited by overbored; 09-30-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old 09-30-2013

MarkBarrett is on a distinguished road

no idea with this boat... anybody here to help us? that would be greatly appreciated a lot to us

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Scow! very rare apparently.
Johnson Boat Works was a builder and developer of racing sailboats of the scow design in White Bear Lake, Minnesota. It was founded in 1896, by John O. Johnson who had emigrated from Norway in 1893. After working with Gus Amundson[who?] for three years, Johnson started his own boat building business in 1896. His first major success was the "Minnezika" a 38 ft. scow design which won the championship on White Bear Lake in 1900. This sailboat was the beginning of the A-Class. As more classes were founded, Johnson moved on to B's, C's, D's, and E's.

Johnson was commissioned to build the 16 ft. X-Boat for youth in the 1930s. Johnson designed the J-scow in the mid-50's which was converted to the MC.[clarification needed] Through the years, the boat builder built Opti's and 420's. In 1994, the builder brought out the Johnson 18. In 1998, two years after JBW turned 100 years old, the family sold the company. The scow molds were sold to their competitor Melges Boat Works (now called Melges Performance Sailboats) in Wisconsin. The other molds, including the Johnson 18 mold, were sold to Catalina Yachts in California. The repair and storage part of the company was sold to a family member who renamed[when?] the company White Bear Boat Works.

my current "project"!
Old 09-30-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

Johnson Boat Works is no more but part of the operation was turned into "White Bear Boat Works" and the current owner has some connection to the Johnson family from what I understand.

You might want to run the question by them and maybe they could point you in the right direction.