Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Need cruising help.

I am going on a 6 day sail. It starts with a 20 hour crossing. What should i take for the meal on the first night? I want something simple but warm and nourishing for two.

We are going to be in a crowded mooring field. I believe there will be a shower somewhere on shore but plan on taking a solar shower. Is there a soap that is good for hair and body that I can use from the foredeck that is not bad for the ocean or offensive to the other boats nearby?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Need cruising help.

Jordan,
If you'll be able to make hot water, consider some of the instant noodle bowls that you can find in the grocery store. They are inexpensive, usually taste OK (note that I didn't say they are a gourmet meal), last a long time, and are easy to prepare.

Sorry, I can't answer the soap question.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i just use what i used on land.
cruising is taking your comforts of home out to play. make it comfy as poossible if you wish to continue.
i been out here now since 2011 and have yet to use any magically overpriced
junk that is put out for alleged marine use--i wont pay the inflated price for same thing i can buy elsewhere cheaper by 400 percent.
if you want a soap that works in sea water, buy castile.
joy soap or dawn also mix well with sea water.
otherwise, use what you enjoy using. i do even in sea water--i dontfollow snotty yottie rules out here--they are useless.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 09-30-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

Depending on what you like to eat, pasta is easy to cook (and you can even bring the fresh noodles for the 1st few days) and supplies some carbs and you can mix in canned chicken and use some olive oil and garlic or some red sauce...
Old 09-30-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

What type of cooking equipment will be available? I often make soups or stews while at home to heat up on the boat. I have grilled beef at home so all I have to do is slice it on board for sandwiches or wraps. Sometimes I plan differently for eating while underway vs. while at anchor vs. at a marina (many marinas do not allow you to grill off the deck).

For clean up after, I found that Dawn is better than others in cold water. For personal hygiene, we use Pears soap both at home and on the boat.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-30-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
I am going on a 6 day sail. It starts with a 20 hour crossing. What should i take for the meal on the first night? I want something simple but warm and nourishing for two.
Hard to beat soup. You could even make a handmade soup beforehand at home and leave it slow cooking on the boats stove (assuming it has gimbals and a pot holder) and then arrive to warm soup and good bread. I love making lentil soup (saute onions in olive oil until they turn clear, add a mix of red and brown lentils, rice, spices, water, simmer for 2 hours) this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
We are going to be in a crowded mooring field. I believe there will be a shower somewhere on shore but plan on taking a solar shower. Is there a soap that is good for hair and body that I can use from the foredeck that is not bad for the ocean or offensive to the other boats nearby?
Dr Bronners does the trick for me.

alex
bljones likes this.
Old 09-30-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

A one pot meal in a pressure cooker is the way to go for hot food. I emphasize the pressure cooker as even if it jumps off the stove the lid stays on. Stew chili curry etc served with some chunky bread.

But if it is rough and you are not regular sailors you may be feeling a little sick and without much appetite. In which case trail mix, granola bars, crackers, bananas, apples and small tins of fruit salad in a cockpit locker along with LOTS of bottled water is good.
Old 09-30-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Personally I stay away from those dehydrated noodle cups. The MSG sends me into overdrive. Consider homemade soups, no grease, It takes all of 15 minutes to load up the slo-cooker for an overnight cook of a soup. Pout hot soup into thermos jugs and off you go for your cruise.
boatpoker likes this.
Old 09-30-2013

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road

I used to use Dr. Bronners when traveling or camping. One bottle, teeth body hair dishes .. it cleans anything .. although Ill use baking soda before bronners for teeth.
Old 09-30-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Toad View Post
I used to use Dr. Bronners when traveling or camping. One bottle, teeth body hair dishes .. it cleans anything .. although Ill use baking soda before bronners for teeth.
I used to use Bronners back in the day. I remember brushing my teeth with it. A lesson I will not repeat.

I had planned to use today to finish prepping but got called in to work and am stuck in a remote location now. It will be a busy night for me. I like the pressure cooker idea, wish I had time to prep something.

After the 20 hour sail we will be at Catalina Island for the opening of lobster season, so I plan on eating lobster for breakfast lunch and dinner the next 4 days.
jimgo likes this.