Wind breakage - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 09-30-2013 Thread Starter

Wind breakage

I know. I thought about that subject line long and hard, but just couldn't think of something better.
The thread on How Much Wind is Too Much is interesting. Most of us think 20 kts is about the limit for comfortable sailing. Some speak about not wanting to break something which begs the question: Have you ever broken anything on your boat that was clearly attributable to the strength of the wind?
If you choose to respond to this question give us some detail, the part, it's age, the conditions...anything that will add to our knowledge base.
Thanks,
John
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-30-2013

Re: Wind breakage

John,

We have been through 3 hurricanes. Winds up to about 110 MPH. Had a few days to prep for each. So far, NOTHING broken due to wind, except our nerves that have since healed.

As Eileen Quinn sings, "good thing a sailor has a short memory".

Greg

Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
Home page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-30-2013

jib blocks, blew out pin on shackle. Had to wire it down. Shackle may have been undersized. Around 20-25 knots, small sport boat so hardware kind of lightweight

Cracked a wooden boom, wind strain too much at the vang intersection point downwind, when the bow piled into a wave and strain on rig increased. Probably boom shouldve been reinforced. And probably we shouldn't have been out there but it was racing, SF Bay, head current, on a run, so the rig got loaded up.

Broke a tiller once, too much weather helm and poor design of rudder/tiller connection. Also racing. Used a spare tiller (do I see a pattern here? We tend to carry too much sail for too long when we race)

And have partially torn a sail occasionally, caught in a squall and couldn't wrestle it down in time.

Other than that I think the boats I've been on have held together pretty well. They are designed to take a lot more wind than 25 knots, provided you don't overload them with sail.

But I don't particularly want to be out then, a nice snug harbor--or house--is preferable if we have a choice... ;-)
post #4 of 20 Old 09-30-2013
just ducky

The only thing I have broken was tearing out the webbing on my reef block. It was because I had the front down too far, but it was the winds fault or I wouldn't have been putting the reef in.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #5 of 20 Old 09-30-2013
Remember you're a womble

We managed to tear the boom clean off the mast on a J24, ripped out all 6 rivets at the gooseneck. I was working foredeck when it happened, apparently the boom missed me by about 6 inches. All good fun and a clear lesson in why you shouldn't race gybe a boat in a little more wind than you expected

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

post #6 of 20 Old 09-30-2013

Hey,

On the boat I race on, the mainsheet trimmer blew up the block connected to the traveler when he tried to 'bring in the main just a little more'

I broke a jib sheet when the captain asked me to bring the sail in 'one more inch' when we were going upwind in 25 kts apparent.

That's about it from me.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #7 of 20 Old 10-01-2013

That was a "here hold my beer watch this" moment in 35-40 knots, double reefed from a run to a point.......accidental gybes can be hell. Positive note, no one was hurt, and I was not one of the 2 or 3 that ran aground.

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #8 of 20 Old 10-01-2013

I have seen plenty of destruction on boats I have raced on. A broken spinnaker pole in a broach, a few exploded spinnakers, and torn headsails come to mind. I have SEEN quite a few masts come down in conditions where they really shouldn't have...under 30kts. Granted some of them were rigs with running backstays where someone screwed up, but the fact is, in our area people get complacent due to the relatively light winds we usually get. Anything over 20 kts can be a gear-buster!

Fortunately I haven't broken anything on my own boat, but then I don't race my boat often, so we don't push it hard.

1979 Santana 30 Tall Rig
Hull#101
post #9 of 20 Old 10-01-2013 Thread Starter

This is beginning to sound like a conversation I had with a friend about bicycle gear. I quote: this stuff is amazing, never breaks if you don't race.
John
nolatom and Minnesail like this.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-01-2013

Been in 20+ on the Bay more than a few times. But the only time we broke anything was when the webbing at the head of the jib let go during a storm on the Chesapeake and the jib came down.

But that was when the boat was new to us, and the surveyor missed the UV damage to the webbing - the only part not covered by the Sunbrella cover.

Simple repair and she's been fine since.

It makes sense that racers break things more often as they're trying to sail the boat at its limit and will carry sail past the point where the rest of us would reef or drop sail.

95 Catalina 30 Island Time

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by JimMcGee; 10-01-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.