Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013

Grampian1989 is on a distinguished road
Boat insurance question

earlier this summer i was told about an insurance provider that will also cover the costs of taking the boat out of the water, storage and placing the boat back in the water next season.... i never looked into it until now... Is there such a thing?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Boat insurance question

Never heard of that. The closest is storm coverage that will pay all or part of a quick haul for a named storm warning.

It would be strange to buy insurance for a sure thing, like seasonal hauling. In order to make a profit, they would have to charge you more than it costs, since this "loss" would always be paid and not shared among all premiums.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 10-01-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2013

krazzz is on a distinguished road

I agree, it would be strange. I think it is likely for storms as well. Much cheaper to pull a boat and keep it on the hard during a hurricane than to take it's chances on the water. You can pull a lot of boats for the cost of replacing one of them. It's a numbers game.
Old 10-01-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

In the Chesapeake where I am, BoatUS pays half the cost of hauling for a named storm. I guess if the storm happens at the end of the season when you were going to haul for the winter anyway, you'll get half of the hauling cost paid at least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-01-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
In the Chesapeake where I am, BoatUS pays half the cost of hauling for a named storm. I guess if the storm happens at the end of the season when you were going to haul for the winter anyway, you'll get half of the hauling cost paid at least.
This scam was frequently attempted last year during Sandy. Our marina refused to play along and I'm glad. That's the sort of insurance scam that costs the rest of us increased premiums. If one is hauling anyway, one didn't incur a loss. I happened to be scheduled to come out the day prior to Sandy and didn't even dream of a fake claim.

In fact, our marina declared, if you're doing a hurricane haul, you must go back in. Hurricane hauls are emergency placements, not the permanent shuffling necessary to get everyone out and placed appropriately for the entire winter.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-01-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Minnewaska, I suppose that's true. The only time we were hauled for a TS I never submitted a claim even though we had the boat put back into the slip. I'm saving our insurance for any big stuff that happens (dismastings, accidents, etc.) and the cost of hauling wasn't that much, comparatively.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-01-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Minne, I wouldn't be so fast to call it a scam. If the insurer is going to pay to haul the boat, what difference is it whether you relaunch, sell it, or let the storm take it away? No one is being defrauded, if the policy says "will pay for..." and what got done is what the policy agreed.

Sounds more like a win-win situation than a fraud. Especially since most of us would rather be the LAST boat to be hauled, normally, so we can be the first to get back in. In the metroNYC area, that can mean staying in the water past Thanksgiving, unless you're forced off earlier.
Old 10-01-2013

My situation would have been ripe for the scam. We schedule our haul outs in early Sept. I was literally scheduled to come out for the year about a day before land fall in late Oct. The cost of a quick haul is entirely different than winter storage, which includes the haul and relaunch, along with storage in one per sq fee.

To effect the scam, the yard would have to bill the hurricane haul separately and then reduce the winter storage accordingly. Since it did not cost me one cent more than I was planning to pay for the winter, why would the marina fake it and the insurance company feel the need to pay? Many asked the marina to break the bill down and identify the haul as hurricane related, not winter storage related. That's dishonest and a scam, IMO.

Jeanneau 54DS