SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Inexpensive slip in Western Chesapeake? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/104313-inexpensive-slip-western-chesapeake.html)

tholmes25 10-01-2013 02:42 PM

Inexpensive slip in Western Chesapeake?

Hello!
Just bought a C&C 25 with a 4-ft draft. I have until Nov. 1 to find a slip of my own. I would like to dock the boat somewhere in Anne Arundel County (preferably in West, Rhode, South, Severn or Magothy rivers), but keep costs as low as possible.

Any suggestions?

jsaronson 10-01-2013 02:57 PM

Re: Inexpensive slip in Western Chesapeake?

Congrats!! I have a 35/3. Best bet is a private dock. There are lots on Mill Creek/Whitehall area. Also check out Orchard Beach Marina. More than a private dock, less than any other marina. Check out candcphotoalbum.com for everything CC and get on the listserve!

DRFerron 10-01-2013 02:57 PM

We're on the Eastern Shore so I have no specific suggestions. While you're waiting for answers from forum members you might want to Google and/or use Active Captain and see what's near you. Most marinas on the bay list their rates online.

jameswilson29 10-01-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tholmes25 (Post 1096896)
Hello!
Just bought a C&C 25 with a 4-ft draft. I have until Nov. 1 to find a slip of my own. I would like to dock the boat somewhere in Anne Arundel County (preferably in West, Rhode, South, Severn or Magothy rivers), but keep costs as low as possible.

Any suggestions?

For no frills fun and beautiful setting, try Holiday Hills Marina in Mayo, MD, off Rte. 214. $1,000/yr. or $100/mo.

zedboy 10-01-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameswilson29 (Post 1096915)
For no frills fun and beautiful setting, try Holiday Hills Marina in Mayo, MD, off Rte. 214. $1,000/yr. or $100/mo.

Wow, that is impressively cheap. Now why are all these guys complaining that sailing is too expensive?

DRFerron 10-01-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedboy (Post 1096918)
Wow, that is impressively cheap. Now why are all these guys complaining that sailing is too expensive?

Oh gosh. Let's not have that discussion again and not in this thread, anyway.

chucklesR 10-01-2013 03:33 PM

First you have to have realistic expectations.
On the Magothy River Ferry Point and Fair winds and Cypress creek marina's all have what are reasonable costs, but will run you from 1.8k to 2.2k a year depending on power and water stuff.

If that is way over what you consider in your budget you can look for private slips in craigslist, and last chance is a mooring ball, either your own or rented.
Mooring balls have their own issue in Anne Arundel country - there are very few places with public access to launch a dinghy and get to your mooring.
I know one guy who literally has his wife drop him off, walks out on a marina pier and then dives in and swims to his boat, then takes it to a fuel dock at another marina where he picks up folks.

zedboy 10-01-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 1096922)
Oh gosh. Let's not have that discussion again and not in this thread, anyway.

No let's not, sorry, didn't mean to suggest it.

But it is good to spread the word that things don't have to be cost-prohibitive, even when the demand is waterfront convenient to a major metropolitan area.

When I first thought of getting a boat, I checked out the cost to join one of the yacht clubs on the Toronto islands. Oh boy, forget that, we're not old money. Then I checked out commercial marinas on Lake Ontario - much more reasonable, but at $3k a year I couldn't have done it.

I paid $700 for this summer (for 17' - the old boat at 25' was a little more) and it was totally worth it even though I was only around thru mid-July.

tholmes25 10-01-2013 04:02 PM

Thanks for the quick responses, all! Called Holiday Hills and they quoted me $2,400/yr for a deeper slip; have a call into Orchard Beach; mooring is tempting, but lots of unknowns; have been watching Craigslist for a private slip, but very little there. Any other places to look for private slips?
Thanks again!

zz4gta 10-02-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameswilson29 (Post 1096915)

+1 I'm not sure you can beat that where you're looking. I've grabbed a mooring ball there a couple times.