Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road
Re: I Think I Found The Right Boat

The seller is trying to re-coup the money he has pumped into the boat. Unfortunately, the market doesn't work that way.
Old 10-02-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

I am with the $9K is high group. If you want it offer 5 and you will be sailing for close to his asking. It is almost winter...there will be plenty of deals
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2013

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road

You don't have to stick to buying in your area. Boats are shipped all over the country. You could find a nice boat that size elsewhere plus shipping for a lot less.
Old 10-02-2013
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about

You won't be able to touch that To Do list for $5k unless you are doing all the work yourself, and even then I doubt it.
Old 10-02-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Catalina 27 as a trailerable boat is POSSIBLE, but not a lot of fun. It's probably best to call it Owner transportable (with permits it's 9' wide afterall)...

Sadly, with today's market it DOES seem pretty high... now lemme give you some numbers to back up what these folks are saying...

A Catalina 27 should have a 9.9 hp outboard, used you MIGHT be able to get a good working one for about $700
A New 150 roller furler, and furling gear would run you about $2500 and I am going super cheap (CDI and perhaps Rolly Tasker). The sails in dacron alone woudl likely be about $1200.

Didn't put ablative, or bottom paint on eh? Assuming you don't have a colony of zebra muscles or barnacles on the bottom expect a copious amount of work to get the bottom sanded down again so you can apply bottom paint (and honestly likely another couple layers of "primer").... nobody puts "primer" on a boat bottom without bottom paint for a boat that is staying in the water. The "primer" is the hard part! Adding paint takes maybe a couple hours tops to put on top of the "primer." I really hope he means "barrier coat" and not primer too. Otherwise you might just have a boat that's delaminating below the water line right now. Because to require "primer" would indicate he sanded the bottom to the gelcoat (or lower) and thus exposed the weave to water (think blisters)... if he did it wrong it might be months of out of water time to dry it back out, and again if it's primer and not barrier coat, then you will now need to strip THAT off, and dry the hull again and apply a proper barrier coat.

I am not usually like these other guys on under $10k boats... I don't really think you can justify a boat inspector for boats in this price range... but you should probably know what makes or breaks the value of a boat before you withdraw the cash.

Cushions, lacquer, sail covers, and hull color are pretty much worthless to the value of a (sail)boat...

What adds value is a quality newer motor (4 stroke for gasser is a huge plus)... decent quality trailer (if the boat is trailerable, which includes good tires/brakes/hitch/pads)... new(er) sails... new(er) rigging (running and standing), and operational winches/cleats/hardware. These are the things that will bring you to your knees if you have to fix or replace... getting into THOUSANDS. I am not saying all these things should be new, but know what each will cost you to go in eyes wide open!

Sure cushions can cost $2500 to recover... but let's be honest... you can sit on torn cushions...
If the stove doesn't work, can you grill? yep... so that's not a big deal.
Electrical (at least the DC side) is pretty easy to do... even the AC isn't a huge deal breaker for most.

What you should be looking for:
Great running newer motor (none of this, frankenmotor stuff)
Nice new(er) bottom job cause this is a PITA to do, and expensive to pay someone to do.
New(er) running and standing rigging.. LOOK AT CHAINPLATES they'll show you right away if there are leaks and if you should consider the boat a lost cause.... bulkheads will be soft if they leak!
look for snaggies on the standing rigging... that indicates long overdue rigging upgrade.
Look for crazing on the decks... if you see spider cracks on a 30+ yo boat you can consider that normal... but if those cracks are wide enough to get caked with dirt... that means it's exposed the weave below it (and likely the core, and if that core is wood, oh boy, for various reasons a lot of boats will use wood core, which is fine, see the cored boats thread, it's ONLY a problem when that wood core gets wet, for obvious reasons)...

Look for soft spots on deck... NOT flexible spots... people confuse this... Sometimes it's OK for the deck to flex some (especially in lighter constructed boats), but that isn't the same as soft.... soft is unmistakable... it'll feel like walking on a wet sponge (cause you kind of are)...

For some reason people downplay "older sails." The single best improvement you can make in the sailability of your boat, is new sails. Older blown out sails are a challenge JUST to get to set right (no less raise and use). I say this when I purchased MY boat with 30yo sails... and they were just TERRIBLE. I went crazy of course and went with loadpath sails, but good dacron sails aren't cheap either.

Anyway... I think I agree candidly with the rest of the crew here... you might want to pass on this one. The Catalina 27 is a GREAT boat, and fortunately for YOU they are common. A good one will fetch a price as high as this, but this one doesn't really fit that description.

For the record a friend of mine JUST sold his 27 with a trailer, and inboard, wheel steering, tall rig, 1984 model... that was just in EXCELLENT shape (his father was the first owner, and handed it down to him)... it had new roller furling, new headsail, new cruising spinnaker with sock, upgraded LED lights down below... it was just a beautiful example of a finely crafted 27... he was able to sell it for $14k That's a pretty stellar price for a 27. It's just how the market is right now.
Old 10-02-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

I think you could do better in a larger market like S. Calif. and shipping, here's one someone spent $12,000 and a couple years on repairs already. With an A4 inboard and asking price of $7500
CatalinaOwners.com
Old 10-02-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Have you looked at this one?
1982 S2 7.3 SAILBOAT, TRAILER

It's a better boat to begin with, sounds like it is in better condition, appears to be in the size range that you like, and is a lot less money.

There are also a couple of Catalina 25s in your price range that are of the last generation (a 1986 and 1988), which are the nicest version to get. It's difficult to tell from the ads what sort of condition they are in.

alex
Old 10-02-2013

cutterdad is on a distinguished road

I agree with the crew.
Used Boats are cheap. It's the doodads that cost.
I looked at used boat a couple of months ago. Everything Beautiful. Pulled it out of the water and the bottom had been bts by a trailer that had badly fitted pads.
Dodged a big bullet when I walked away.
Good luck with your search.
PS
I believe a good deal should be a good deal for both the seller and the buyer.
Old 10-02-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

I agree with what everyone has said regarding your options. This seems very expensive for a Cat27 in Arizona. In fact, that is actually expensive for one up here. I could find you a ready to go C27 here for right about 10k.

That said, geography and what is available makes a BIG difference in price. I live in one of the extreme examples of this here in Alaska. We searched for years to find a good condition small keel boat or trailer sailer. Finally found one this summer that wasn't going to be a project boat. I wouldn't even think of posting what we paid here for it because the right coasters would have a fit. But, it was half the price of the next best option we had found in 3 years of looking.

I guess all I am saying is be very aware of the options and pricing in your own area. Obviously Alaska is at the far end of the curve as shipping isn't an option as gas would cost more than the value of the boat.
Old 10-02-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the delay, work got in the way of sailing. I hate when that happens.

I should have mention I was going to offer like $5,000 since I think that's all it's worth. This guy can't even get anyone to go look at it since it's so far out and in a bad lake for sailing. It's in a lake called Canyon lake and it's surrounded by 500 ft sheer cliffs that come straight out of the lake, the water is like glass there

Actually 25's and 27's are pretty hard to find out here, there are currently three 30ft'rs in the mid teen price range for sale and a couple of 22ft'rs that are in the mid $6k range for asking prices.

I'm really not in a position to deal with a SoCal purchase and start the moving process.

However, I had WTB ad running on CL and got a e-mail this morning for another Catalina 27 where the owner just passed and they claim to have $22,000 in receipts with an asking price of $8,500 and it's at the right lake and floating in a slip. Supposedly in the last 3 years new bottom job, head sail on furler, main sail, winches, blocks, pulleys, lines, bimini's, marine batteries, flat screen TV, cushions, yada, yada. I'm seeing it on Friday afternoon.

Thanks for the feedback.
AlaskaMC likes this.