Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road
Re: I Think I Found The Right Boat

I've been to Canyon Lake, AZ - super fun for a ski boat and terrible for a sailboat.. A 14' sailboat maybe fun in the larger part of the lake, which isn't that large. But you're right, the real fun stretch through the canyon would be impossible and dangerous to sail.

Sounds like you should close this door.

Why do you want a 27 or 30 foot sailboat if you're going to be sailing on a lake in Arizona?
Old 10-02-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Actually 25's and 27's are pretty hard to find out here
You are in Scottsdale, AZ, right? That is what your profile says. On a map it looks like a suburb of Phoenix.

There are 3 Catalina 25s listed there:
phoenix boats classifieds "catalina 25" - craigslist
Old 10-02-2013

mike21070 is on a distinguished road

Canyon Lake is beautiful, but, as you said, sailing on it must be pretty difficult. Good luck in your search.

Shnool, I have to say I just cut and pasted your post onto a seperate Word document and saved on my desktop. When I'm ready to look for my next boat, I'll have your comments to study and be prepared. Excellent advice, thanks.

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philzy3985 View Post

Why do you want a 27 or 30 foot sailboat if you're going to be sailing on a lake in Arizona?
yes, Canyon Lake is great for everything but sailing. I want something of that size so I can spend the weekend on it at Lake Pleasant and so when I go to California and charter a 36-40 ft'r I'm not totally intimidated by the size. I'll be doing that at least 3 times a year for a week at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
You are in Scottsdale, AZ, right? That is what your profile says. On a map it looks like a suburb of Phoenix.

There are 3 Catalina 25s listed there:
phoenix boats classifieds "catalina 25" - craigslist
Thanks for the link. One of those, the one already at Pleasant I missed because they spelled sailboat with two words and it did not get picked up in my search when I put "sailboat" in, lol..I have just swapped some e-mails with the owner and I'm heading up there tomorrow am.

The other one at Roosevelt Lake is a swing keep, not my first preference.

The last one that appears to be in someones back yard I also fired an e-mail off for to learn more. I guess I really didn't want something that wasn't already in the water so I wouldn't have to bother the seller with getting the boat up there, launching it, raising the mast and rigging it all up to take it on a shake down cruise. I know that's the sellers job, if they want to sell the boat, but I feel bad none-the-less if it didn't meet my expectations and I said, Thanks, not what I'm looking for." and he has to break it all down again.

I'll keep posting as I see them and review each one of these since there's now a link to them.

Last edited by azguy; 10-03-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Try the following search in the boat section of Craigslist:
(sailboat | "sail boat" | catalina | hunter | *day | benet* | jeann* | S2)

Regarding the in-the-water versus on the trailer issue, honestly, many aspects of the walk-through can be done on land. If the interior is crap, or if the chainplates are corroded through, the bulkheads are leaky, the deck is squishy, etc., you'll see it. You can even inspect the sails on land. Then, if the boat still speaks to you, ask him/her for a sea trial. You can even offer them $100 earnest money - that is, money you're willing to pay for the opportunity to go for a sail. You'll lose the $100 if you walk away, but the seller knows you're not just trying to bum a ride.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 10-04-2013 at 12:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
Squidd (10-06-2013)
Old 10-04-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike21070 View Post
Shnool, I have to say I just cut and pasted your post onto a seperate Word document and saved on my desktop. When I'm ready to look for my next boat, I'll have your comments to study and be prepared. Excellent advice, thanks.
Mike
I am no expert, but I know what things cost to fix... and I've had to kind of sort through my own purchases and have learned the hard way on some of these under 10K beauties, what has taken the most time/effort to correct.
Old 10-04-2013
always busy with sailing

Searching Craigslist for "sail* | sloop" should catch all sailboats. I used to have far longer queries like the one that jimgo uses, but this one is big enough and does the job.

sail* gets the vast majority.
Old 10-04-2013

Ok, I just got back from looking at this one this morning.

1988 25' Catalina sail boat with trailer

Owner is recently deceased, which is scary because I'm looking at another boat tomorrow morning where the story is the same. Arizona does have a lot of old people. This boat is titled to the estate and no family member is either willing or capable of telling me anything about the boat. Service history, etc. This really bothers me, especially at $8,900.

The marina manager showed me the boat and he knew nothing except that the owner was older and used the boat a fair amount and thought he was ex military.

I would say the boat was in good condition, lines looked good, sails appeared clean, with no tears and in good overall condition. All the standing and running rigging appeared in good condition and the deck had no soft spots that I could detect and felt solid. All the lifelines and stations appeared solid in good shape. The outboard was OLD and was pretty well covered with cobwebs and I'd didn't even think it was worth trying to start it, plus, there was no gas tank aboard.

Inside it was in pretty good shape, very presentable, no tears anywhere and nothing appeared broken or out of place. Two burner stove looked mint/un-used and the wood work was in a solid B/B+ condition. You really got the feeling nobody had been on this boat in months. Get this, the bilge was 100% dry, not a single droplet of water which is a good thing because I could not get the pump to engage while playing with the flipper/float.

I was surprised that the 27ft Catalina I was on a few days ago felt so much larger below deck, very surprised at this. Head room was about 6" less as I could stand in the 27 and could not in the 25, the 25 does have a pop-top.

I don't think there would be anyway I would pay close to the asking price for this boat and think something around $6-7k would be more realistic. I'm sure the outboard would need a tune-up and who knows what else. I have no doubt the boat is more than ready to be sailed and enjoyed and the boat does come with a very nice double axle trailer which I would not really use except for maintenance issues.

The biggest issue is no first hand intelligence from someone that knows the boat, there's a GPS device on board, AC unit, blue ray player and 16" flat screen and no paperwork or manuals for anything. For all I know the bottom is 10 years old or more.

I asked if the estate was "open to offers" and he said "yes, reasonable offers" and then threw in the "I have two other appts today to show the boat". He also offered 30 days free in the slip which is worth $250.

There's no doubt someone cared for the boat, it just may not have been in the last 6 months, or longer.

Last edited by azguy; 10-04-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2013
always busy with sailing

Get the boat hauled (or dive it) if you like it and want to see the bottom condition. You should haul any boat that you are considering, especially Catalinas. Read about the "Catalina Smile" to see why. I'm not trying to scare you away from them, they are excellent value boats, but signs of the smile should make you walk away.

The 27' Catalina has 2' longer cabin, 1' wider cabin (since it is not designed to be trailerable). That is a big difference in a small boat. Every foot matters on <30' boats.

The Catalina 25 is as fast (or slow, depending on how you look at it) as the 27, cheaper to buy sails for and maintain, simpler, and I think it sails a bit better (but I have lots of experience on the 25 and little on the 27). If you live in a light air region then you want the tall mast, it makes a big difference in boat speed in <10 knots of wind.

For price comparison a mid 80s Catalina 25 with new interior, new sails, new motor, new bottom paint, new running rigging, and other recent can be sold for about $7500-$8500 in Seattle (with no trailer). In this market I'd guess that boat could go for $6000-$7000 if the sails are in very good condition and it is otherwise as you described.

Understanding sail condition requires more than seeing that they are clean and have no tears. The shape of the sail and the remaining life of the cloth are both very important.
Old 10-04-2013

Thanks Alex, I've looked at 7 boats now, it's been a really good process to go through all these boats and see good and bad. I think your price ranges are fair and who knows, this boat may be had for $6,500 or $7,000, but I don't think so especially after being list for 2 weeks. Maybe two months down the road...

The 27 I'm looking at tomorrow supposedly has over $20k in receipts with it that covers the last 5 years of the current boats ownership including a coast guard inspection from two months ago and a survey from a year ago when they first considered selling it. Supposedly all the sails are 12 months old, etc.

It's described as mint...I'm anxious to see it, tomorrow at 8:00 AM...