Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road
Re: I Think I Found The Right Boat

I've watched quite a few surveys and paid for several more. I think that the most important tool I've ever seen used was a rubber mallet to test hull and deck integrity, especially around deck hardware and through-hulls. I've backed out of deals based on these simple results indicating core problems that could not be seen or felt.
AlaskaMC likes this.
Old 10-08-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
I've watched quite a few surveys and paid for several more. I think that the most important tool I've ever seen used was a rubber mallet to test hull and deck integrity, especially around deck hardware and through-hulls. I've backed out of deals based on these simple results indicating core problems that could not be seen or felt.
Yep this is one of the big ones. We looked at a few boats that we could tell had deck core problems even from simple inspections around deck penetrations and in one case just by walking around on the deck. A better way to find things that can't been seen or felt would be a valuable tool. The boat we found, an M25 makes this really easy to check for as everything is inspect able from the inside which will not be the case on the C27.

I wonder though if the boat has been in Arizona the whole time, in freshwater, could this be like one of those 1960s cars that can be found in the desert in unbelievable condition. That would be very nice. Up here everything is always either wet or frozen.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
Yep this is one of the big ones. We looked at a few boats that we could tell had deck core problems even from simple inspections around deck penetrations and in one case just by walking around on the deck. A better way to find things that can't been seen or felt would be a valuable tool. The boat we found, an M25 makes this really easy to check for as everything is inspect able from the inside which will not be the case on the C27.

I wonder though if the boat has been in Arizona the whole time, in freshwater, could this be like one of those 1960s cars that can be found in the desert in unbelievable condition. That would be very nice. Up here everything is always either wet or frozen.
I think blistering happens faster in fresh water than salt. If on the hard what about the effect of the hot hot Arizona desert weather beating down year after year without the moderating influence of cool water.
Old 10-08-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
On the Catalina 25 it is trivial to inspect all fittings from the interior. The headliner is bonded to the deck as a single hard piece, so deck fittings are easily visible inside the cabin. This goes for stanchions too, they are just behind a piece of vertical trim to hide them from direct sight, but you can look around it and see them.

I haven't looked closely enough at a Catalina 27 to see if this aspect of the construction is similar.
Old 10-08-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

Here's a picture of the Catalina 27' I'm talking about. I think this picture will demonstrate just how littered with extra's this boat is...

I Think I Found The Right Boat-spontaneous.jpg
Old 10-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

In the end, if you are happy with what you're paying for the boat, then who cares what the rest of us think? I'm not being a smart-alec (for a change) - if you think the boat is worth $40,000, and others say it's only worth $4,000, who cares as long as you're happy paying $40,000 for it? The bigger question will be, how upset will you be if you find out that someone else bought a C27 that's basically the same age and in basically the same condition, but without all the "extras" (many of which you may not use) for half what you paid? Or, how upset will you be if the engine dies three days into you owning the boat and it costs you several thousand to get it repaired (not that I have any experience with this...)? Will you be pissed because you didn't bargain harder, or move on to a different boat (which may or may not not have had the same problems)? Are you OK with the possibility that in 2 years you'll decide that either a) you hate sailing/don't get enough use out of the C27 and need to sell the boat or b) you absolutely love sailing and are ready to move up to a C30 or other such boat, and either way you may only be able to sell the boat for the $5,000-$6,000 that most other C27's are selling for?

If you can accept these kinds of things happening, then as others have said, what are you waiting for? If you're going to kick yourself if these things come up, then you need to start negoitating or walk away.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
In the end, if you are happy with what you're paying for the boat, then who cares what the rest of us think? I'm not being a smart-alec (for a change) - if you think the boat is worth $40,000, and others say it's only worth $4,000, who cares as long as you're happy paying $40,000 for it? The bigger question will be, how upset will you be if you find out that someone else bought a C27 that's basically the same age and in basically the same condition, but without all the "extras" (many of which you may not use) for half what you paid? Or, how upset will you be if the engine dies three days into you owning the boat and it costs you several thousand to get it repaired (not that I have any experience with this...)? Will you be pissed because you didn't bargain harder, or move on to a different boat (which may or may not not have had the same problems)? Are you OK with the possibility that in 2 years you'll decide that either a) you hate sailing/don't get enough use out of the C27 and need to sell the boat or b) you absolutely love sailing and are ready to move up to a C30 or other such boat, and either way you may only be able to sell the boat for the $5,000-$6,000 that most other C27's are selling for?

If you can accept these kinds of things happening, then as others have said, what are you waiting for? If you're going to kick yourself if these things come up, then you need to start negoitating or walk away.
that's it in a nutshell. Either swallow this baby hook line and anchor or just move on to the next one
Old 01-22-2014

pforeman98 is on a distinguished road

What was involved in replacing the keel bolts?