Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By killarney_sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27
Advice on Buying a Complete Set of Sails for Islander 37 MS

I got my 1970 Islander M. S. over a year ago and need to buy a complete set of sails.

Islander 37 Hull Type & Sail Data:

Hull Type:Fiberglass, Fin Keel
Rig Type: Masthead Sloop

LOA: 36.5'
LWL: 28' 3"
Beam: 10' 8"
Draft: 5' 5"
Mast Height: 48'
Disp: 14000 Lbs.
Ballast: 5000 Lbs.

Rig Dimension:
I -- 43'
J -- 14.50
P -- 37.80'
E -- 15.50'

Forestay Length -- 45.38'

Sail Surface Areas

SA (Fore): 311.75 ZFt.2
SA (Main): 292.95 ft.2
Total (calc.) SA: 604.70 ft.2

I listed all the data (above) so folks would know my I-37 sail information. Feel free to chime in with a like comparison boat, or what works best or does not work.

Really, I'd like to hear from I-37 owners... what sail sets they have, forgot to mention, I have a furring system and (1) main sail set to start with, nothing else.

I'm looking to sail long distance and want a good sail set up, 5 different sail sets. I'm trying to buy... good used + to like new sails.. if available. I'm looking for a full range of sail set ups, to include light winds, 155/ 135 genoa, etc. .

Looking to hear about the best type of fabric, stitching & grommet reinforcements. Who's the top sale maker(s) for the money & not over priced and quality sails. Thinking used 1st but will buy new and ready to spend a little more for higher end quality.

Avery

Last edited by HighFly_27; 10-03-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: changes, more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice on Buying a Complete Set of Sails for Islander 37 MS

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you have a sloop rig?

Main - full battens, loose foot, 2 reefs, leech and foot lines, chafe guard where the spreaders hit.

180 - don't bother. You loose efficiency after a 150% LP.

155 - material suitable up to 12 true. Dacron or cruising laminate if the budget can handle it. If you opt for dacron go with a triradial.

135 - Same as above, carry it up to 22 true.

100% or less - you need a small sail for 25 kts +. After that you're reefing down and flying whatever combo the boat likes.

It's going to be really hard to find sails in that size range that are used. There's a reason the previous owners are selling them. My suggestion would be to bite the bullet and talk to a few sailmakers and see what they can do for you.
Old 10-03-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Not sure a loose foot is what will work best for his planned journey. I like loose fotted mains but on his boat it might make ther main harder to reef neatly. I would not have any genny bigger that 135% for this trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 10-03-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Headsail changes aren't very easy with most roller furling gear. I think that two headsails, a 100% and a 135% would be fine.

If you added a solent stay then having a larger headsail inventory could work well. The 135% genoa for everyday use, a 110% for heavier weather use, and a storm sail for actual storm use. A hanked on 110% will have much better shape than a rolled up 135%.
Old 10-03-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with Alex and Bob Perry. On a another thread you are suggesting sailing to the USVI and then possibly exploring the Caribbean chain. Locally the one Islander 37 that I was aware of seemed to be a pretty easily driven hull that didn't require a lot of sail area to get it moving. I can't fathom ever bothering with anything bigger that a 130ish sized sail and wouldn't feel under-canvassed with about a 120. The wind BLOWS down here, 15-20 is average. Rolled up gennys don't make very good air foils. A heavy 120-130 would cover you under 90% of the conditions you are likely to encounter. With a good main, reef early and be done. A light wind sail might be nice on the rare occasion you might need a bit more oomph but a 2nd small headsail, as Alex suggested, with two whisker poles might be easier to manage short handed. That gives you the benefit of a backup in case of a genoa catastrophe. I would invest the limited storage area of a 37 on other things than many different sails unless you intend to race.
Old 10-03-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

We have a somewhat larger boat (45', 40,000 lbs) and our 30,000 miles into a circumnavigation and I will tell you what we have and how it has worked. We have a removable inner stay.

Workhorses:
- 135% genoa that was new when we started and will get us home. Bought it from North at the Annapolis show. Their show discount was larger than anyone else's so the resulting price was lower than about six other quotes
- Hood furling main that was far from new when we bought the boat. Doesn't look much different than 30,000 miles ago. A remarkably good sail.

Others
- Asymmetric spinnaker, 1.5 oz, bought with the genoa from North. Very nice to have and used fairly often. Not really went for downwind but that is where it gets used when the wind is light and we don't want to motor. In the bag is is huge and takes up a lot of space. Not certain it justifies itself. Since you have a boat was so what limited sail area you might want something for lighter airs. Might be a good used purchase.
- 100% jib for furler. Rarely used. I see it as more of a foresail backup than anything. Changing headsails with a small crew at sea in anything worse than benign conditions is not a trivial chore.
- hank on staysail for inner stay. It is quite small and really is to be used in really snarky conditions when the course is not right for heavily furled genoa. Not used often but good to have because in 35 knots you will not be putting a smaller jib on the furler.
- storm jib for inner stay, bought used in almost new condition and never used. Not much smaller than the staysail. Perhaps not needed but it was not too costly at Bacon and does not take up too much space
- storm trysail (has its own track) Came with the boat and never used although we had it on the track on deck on our trip from Mauritius to South Africa where you can get pasted. I view it as an emergency backup for the main.

As for an ideal rig, I am very impressed with modern Solent stay setups. Some of the bigger boats and especially cats have three furled sails ready to go, something around 135, a 100, and an off-wind sail. Just pull the string of your choice. Also would be good for twins downwind I think. Combine it with a removable stay for a storm jib and away you go.
HighFly_27 likes this.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
The Following User Says Thank You to killarney_sailor For This Useful Post:
HighFly_27 (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough

No bigger than 135(maybe a 140), but not anything larger. Get a high clew. Makes visibility easier. Your other smaller headsail should be 100 or 95%.

I did an experiment once in 20+ kt winds and put up a 95% sail instead of flying a 135 and it roller reefing it to 105. The 135 made me have too much helm (close-hauled) going slow. The 105 gave me better helm and a little improvement on speed. The 95 allowed me to have no helm and sail only 0.3 kt slower than the other two configurations. Since I was doing 5+ kts upwind and not fighting the helm constantly,it was a more pleasant sail. I thought the a reduction of 35% area in the head sail would translate to a much slower boat.

Full battens on main preferred although 2+2 would be okay. I like loose footed. Two reefs, but I make the first reef point a little deeper if you go this route, but to have a little more reefed than not enough. If you go with 3 reefs, you could make the first reef a little less deep, 2nd in it's normal spot. Leach and foot lines.

Get an asymmetric for those light downwind runs if you want. Get it with a sock.

DrB
Old 10-03-2013
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27

Killarney

I really liked your BlogSpot On Ainia.

I read the current and older info. as well, Great Read and read some of it twice.

Sorry to hear about your hand and time to heal delay... it could have been worst. I've had some injury's and set backs and know what it is to be in the healing up mode. I will say, that sticking any part of your body in a area that's opening & closing is risky, been there and got hammered too.

Not related but noteworthy... we have a lot of wounded soldiers on the mend from the middle east. A number of (thousands) them are wrecked for life. I see the pictures of fine troops with missing arms & legs, severe burns, maimed for life. I can ID with them because I was shot in Vietnam but only a flesh wound. A number of troops that I knew personally or knew of were severely wounded or killed, any war is stupid and takes our finest. Currently, are wounded Vet's face a tall mountain of recovery, some will never have a normal life again. My bottom line feeing's about being over there... is quite negative. It's a big time waste of American Soldiers lives & well being; unfortunately, sorry to say... nothing will change (middle east) in the end; stupid politics, like Vietnam !

Take the Best of Care,

Avery

arbakerjr@hotmail.com

Last edited by HighFly_27; 10-03-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Not sure a loose foot is what will work best for his planned journey. I like loose fotted mains but on his boat it might make ther main harder to reef neatly. I would not have any genny bigger that 135% for this trip.
Bob,
This may be a silly question but we are about to get a loose footed main to replace our bolt rope foot main and your comment made me pause. Could you explain for this new to loose foot guy?

Thanks! (SORRY FOR THEY HIJACK!)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.