Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Charting a course

I've never tried to get my master degree in all the functionality of our chartplotter. However, altering waypoints after accepting the route has been beyond my pay grade. I can add or subtract from the end, but if I need to change something within the route, it seems tough. This happens, when I try to over plan a route and realize underway that I'm not going that way. I do know how to reset the track to the next waypoint, but changing them has been a pain. YMMV Good luck.

By the way, I'm pretty sure most devices will record speeds, distance traveled, etc, whether you enter a route or not. Mine does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Many weekends I plan our route on our I PAD and synch it into the Raymarine CHartplotter when I get down to the boat.

Both use Navionics and are easy to use./

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-04-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I do this all the time, and once you figure it out, it's easy to use a computer plotter for planning, and then transfer it into a handheld for use on the boat.

One of the benefits of using a computer program is you can download NOAA raster charts for free. The raster charts are just scans of the paper charts, and are the same files that most printers use to make on-demand charts for you. Since you're plotting with the exact same chart you'd have if you used paper, it gives you a "second opinion" vs. the electronic chart in your GPS. When you transfer the route to your GPS and see it over the electronic chart, you have added confidence knowing that the route was plotted against the actual NOAA chart.

I've used most of the programs mentioned above, but IMO the one that is by far the best of the freebies is OpenCPN (which was not mentioned above). You can plot routes, save them, change them, transfer them, etc.

My Garmin handheld GPS will record your track even if you have not plotted a course. I keep it on all the time even if I'm not using it, just so I can check where I've been.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-06-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

My GPS 78
has no maps on it ?
I need a new one just need to bite the bullet and do it...
Old 10-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
My GPS 78
has no maps on it ?
I need a new one just need to bite the bullet and do it...
Maybe you just need to buy a Bluechart chip.

I believe that Garmin's model numbers require a letter after the number to designate a built in chart. 78c has marine charts, 78t would have topo map, etc. If it has no letter, it only has a low-res base map, and you need to buy one of their Bluechart chips to have the built-in chart.

Don't go throwing away your 78 - it might be cheaper to buy the chip.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-06-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

I guess we approach this differently on Guenevere than most of the posters.

We normally cruise full time, or for months at a time so we are not in a hurry to get something into our plotter.

What we do is have a final destination in mind. Knowing that it might change along the way.

I then plot the route with many way points to our first destination. This is normally a days sail away in closed in water, or for open water overnight trips. Then, once at anchor we rest and I then plot the next days trip the evening before we depart. It's a relaxing exercise for me and the next trip is fresh in this old mind.

I do LOVE OpenCPN and keep it handy on a new tablet handy below. I am also excited about the Active Captain and especially the Interactive Cruising Guidebook feature!!! I am using it now to do some rough planning for our next cruise.

Greg

Youtube page -
Old 10-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
...I then plot the route with many way points to our first destination. This is normally a days sail away in closed in water, or for open water overnight trips. Then, once at anchor we rest and I then plot the next days trip the evening before we depart. It's a relaxing exercise for me and the next trip is fresh in this old mind...
Pretty much what I do when we charter for a week. We decide the next day's destination while having dinner, and I plot the next day's route before going to bed.

Old 10-06-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

I use Active captain as well. It is a great tool for me to use to review in my mind befor I go sailing. I don't yet have a good understanding of the GPS on this boat. Still learning how to use it. I thank you for your help. I Would like to make sure I have what I need on this boat.
From my looking on the net this weekend, The Garmin 215 is an older unit. And the GPS 78 dont even have a map capability.
Old 10-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
...The Garmin 215 is an older unit. And the GPS 78 dont even have a map capability.
Check the Garmin website. It's exactly as I said before:

Quote:
Explore

GPSMAP 78 comes with built-in worldwide basemap, so you can navigate anywhere with ease...

Add Maps

Adding more maps is easy with our wide array of detailed marine, topographic and road maps, available on microSD card. Conveniently plug in BlueChart® g2 preloaded cards for a great day on the water or City Navigator NT® map data for turn-by-turn routing on roads (see maps tab for compatible maps). The card slot is located inside the waterproof battery compartment, so you don't have to worry about getting it wet.
The 78 is a current model that Garmin still makes, and sells for $249. Like most of Garmin's marine GPSs sold today, you need to buy the charts separately.

Old 06-30-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I don't use routes on my GPS. I have way points in it that I can make my target destination, (or several, one after the other), but I've rarely found the weather and currents allow me to sail a route as planned, unless I'm motoring or motor sailing.
christian.hess likes this.