SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Charting a course (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/104385-charting-course.html)

ltgoshen 10-03-2013 02:24 PM

Charting a course

Charting a course,
is there a Marine chart route planner available on line that one could use to get waypoints and plan a trip. then go to the boat and upload them into the Garmin map215?
So to make my point, I would like to find a map / chart on the internet net and mark way way down the map making references to the channel marks and LON/LAT. that way when i get to the boat I could put them into a route and go sailing?
I'm new at this stuff and this may have been over a lot here and there. I searched the sight for an answer before I posted with not much in the way of the answer I need.
Cheers, And thanks in advance for any light you may shead on this.

steve77 10-03-2013 02:34 PM

Re: Charting a course

Have you looked into Garmin HomePort: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod64242.html

It's not online, but you install it on your computer. I think you can transfer data between HomePort and other Garmin devices, but I'm not sure. I've downloaded it on my computer but haven't used it yet.

rikhall 10-03-2013 02:46 PM

Yes - there are ways to do that:
  • Active Captain has user uploaded waypoints and routes you can make use of.
  • If you have a charting program on your computer you can plan your route and then move the routes and waypoints to your chart plotter (FUGAWI, Polar Navy, SeaClear and many others - a good list here)
  • You can purchase a ChartKit that has (according to their advertisement and my experience) "Easy to Use Pre-plotted waypoints and lat/long grids for your GPS; magnetic courses for your compass."

Lots of ways to do it.

Rik

pcarlson 10-03-2013 02:51 PM

Why not get a chart that covers the area you plan on going to and plan it on the chart then transfer it to your electronic device? That way you are less likely to run into thing that are not shown on an electronic chart. Which happens. They you can practice both types of nav.

ltgoshen 10-03-2013 03:01 PM

I have that now Carlson. the whole reasion I was asking. I sat in my cockpit last weekend trying to inter waypoints into the Garmin215 with low light and wind blowng and found it to be quite trying... Just thinking,
there must be an easer way.

Geoff54 10-03-2013 03:13 PM

Not quite what you're looking for but I mark up the chart with waypoints and planned route, then use a laptop to type them into EasyGPS (the basic version is free) and upload them to a Garmin 72H in one go. Quick, easy and the planned route is already marked on the chart if there is a GPS problem.

Omatako 10-03-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltgoshen (Post 1098334)
I have that now Carlson. the whole reasion I was asking. I sat in my cockpit last weekend trying to inter waypoints into the Garmin215 with low light and wind blowng and found it to be quite trying... Just thinking,
there must be an easer way.

The ways that are provided in other posts above are all good, accessible ways to do this and are easier than gathering info off a paper chart but none of them are going to be easily done in your cockpit in low light with wind blowing.

ltgoshen 10-03-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff54 (Post 1098344)
Not quite what you're looking for but I mark up the chart with waypoints and planned route, then use a laptop to type them into EasyGPS (the basic version is free) and upload them to a Garmin 72H in one go. Quick, easy and the planned route is already marked on the chart if there is a GPS problem.

I need to buy an newer model GPS, I guess. But your advise looks like the best. I willk for this EasyGPS
Thanks for your help.

Minnewaska 10-04-2013 07:03 AM

I don't often put an entire route in the chartplotter at once. Routes are often interrupted by traffic or winds don't allow one to follow it precisely anyway. More often, I move the cursor to my next desired waypoint, which I planned on a chart or the screen over coffee in the morning and just "go-to" it. When I get there, I start over. A half hour between waypoints would often be minimum, so it even gives me something to do on a passage. If waypoints are close together, such as in tighter waterways, they are all the less likely to allow perfect following anyway. Most often, a route line is really just a danger bearing for me anyway. I may place the cursor outside an obstruction to know, while I'm tacking/jibing, that I don't want to be on the wrong side of it, rather than follow it precisely.

ltgoshen 10-04-2013 07:47 AM

Thanks for the help.
What I will be doing is taking overnight trips in local "100" mile waters.
I was wanting to be able to
1) pull the trip time and miledge from where I have traveled
2) do waypoints that will "signal me" when I'm within so a 1500 yard or so.
3) I love the idea of way point to way point however it would be nice to have it planed out with the ability to adjust the waypoints as we travel.

Like I said before. I'm new to the GPS thing and i'm still learning how to use it. I'm told that the Garmin map215 is an outdated unit that should be replaced with a newer unit and the 215 kept as a back up unit.
I would like to have some basic information before and after a sail.
1) What was my top speed.
2) What was my distance traveled COG.
3) what was my waypoints missed.
4) Where are the danger zones along my route and how to miss them.

I also need to learn how to make my ST4000 sail to the GPS?
or if it even can.
I was able to make 2 complete laps and calibrate the gyro compass this pass weekend and it did great. It is within 7 degrees of the helm compass.

The auto-helm seams to go off on its own sometime? not sure if it on the right mode or somthing is wrong? I'll keep working on that one.

thanks again for the help.