Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY shrinkwrapping, easy? Pain?

Hmm, not sure but I'm not to worried about it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
Hmm, not sure but I'm not to worried about it.
Many places have mandatory recycling. Can be an issue, if you do it yourself. At the least, DIY could cost you more that you think.

If you really want to be economical over the long term, get a custom cover. A quality cover will pay for itself in about 3 years, vs shrink wrap and is substantially better for the boat and the environment. Win, win, win.
macwester26 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-04-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

For what it's worth... I tarp my 26' boat. Allows the air to flow through, and for me to easily access the interior over the winter, which I do about every month or so. I had no problems with the tarps at all last winter--snow and rain shed right off of them. The initial investment was maybe $80 (guessing) but I can re-use virtually all of it this winter.

Old 10-04-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

I hope you are not shrink wrapping in order to liveaboard during the winter?!

When the plastic is heated in the sunlight, a very unhealthy gaseous poison is produced.

Here is some info on the problem. What you are smelling is polyethylene film offgassing various chemicals, which include DEHP, a phthalate plasticizer linked with internal organ damage. Its use has been banned, but only in childrens' toys because it causes developmental reproductive abnormalities in children.

The phthalates are lipid-soluble: once they get into your system, they get lodged in fat cells and remain with you for the rest of your life, doing slow damage to your liver and kidneys.

Not a great idea to support that is it?

This whole issue mostly comes up with people who are trying to live in a boat which was designed and made for "weekend / coastal cruising". As opposed to boats which are larger, and have interior walls which provides a proper insulation.

The bottom line is that people living in a small day cruiser are, for all intents and purposes, trying to live in their cars.

Using plastic for insulation is an act of desperation. It has been greatly supported by the new industry of seasonal workers who earn many thousands of dollars each fall installing this onto peoples' boats.

FYI: Not one single boat manufacturer in the world suggests wrapping their boats in plastic for liveaboard usage.

People should not live inside plastic bags.
ODay e-pod likes this.
Old 10-05-2013

Well my 30 footer is a big step up from the plastic bag I used to live in.
Old 10-05-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

why bother?
Tarps are cheap, easy, reusable and quick to install.

Or just run naked. we don't tarp whiskeyjack any more, after a couple of winters worrying about snowload and bent stanchions, I wondered if the reward outpaced the risk. We now leave her uncovered for the winter, like most boats in our yard. mind you, we don't get the snowloads and freeze/thaw cycles that other areas get, which can be detrimental to an uncovered boat...
but Detroit is even more tropical than us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to bljones For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (10-09-2013)
Old 10-05-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
why bother?
Tarps are cheap, easy, reusable and quick to install.

Or just run naked. we don't tarp whiskeyjack any more, after a couple of winters worrying about snowload and bent stanchions, I wondered if the reward outpaced the risk. We now leave her uncovered for the winter, like most boats in our yard. mind you, we don't get the snowloads and freeze/thaw cycles that other areas get, which can be detrimental to an uncovered boat...
but Detroit is even more tropical than us.
FYI: The USS Constitution, a boat built over 200 years ago, is never covered, yet is located in Boston, MA., where we have full winter weather each year.

The only value I have ever noticed from covering a boat for the winter, is if it has an excellent wax job, then that is still looking good in the spring if you cover it. However the vast majority of boats do not have excellent wax jobs - at any time of the year - so skip the cover for winter, and wax it in the spring!
Old 10-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
....The only value I have ever noticed from covering a boat for the winter, is if it has an excellent wax job....
The freeze/thaw cycle isn't very good for teak decking either. Especially if it rains during the day, then freezes at night, which is quite common here.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-06-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

We bought our boat in December, brought her home and parked her in the driveway. With no cover, the cockpit fills with ice. We had about 6" of it. I really wasn't comfortable with that. The following fall, I bought a compulsory blue tarp, tailored it to the boat and stretched it over a PVC frame. Now it's a cover, not tarp, and less of an eye sore for the neighbors. It'll keep a 20" storm of the deck, cost $100 and a bleak Saturday's marathon on the admiral's Singer.
Old 10-09-2013

Just the lack of the sun on the deck, etc... seems reason enough to cover if not in use. Would love to save two hundred bucks but I think I will wrap it. Freeze and thaw and just plain freeze is very prominent around here. Winters are brutal around here most years, in S.E. MI.