Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY shrinkwrapping, easy? Pain?

Plenty of boats are left uncovered or very poorly covered where I'm at in Michigan, but why put up with extra solar/water/ice exposure if you don't have to? The rain/freeze/thaw cycle seems like it could be brutual on the deck and cockpit, particularly if there are any leaks (known or unknown). I wish leaving her uncovered was truly a no risk proposistion, but I don't believe that it is.
abrahamx likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
why bother?
Tarps are cheap, easy, reusable and quick to install.

Or just run naked. we don't tarp whiskeyjack any more, after a couple of winters worrying about snowload and bent stanchions, I wondered if the reward outpaced the risk. We now leave her uncovered for the winter, like most boats in our yard. mind you, we don't get the snowloads and freeze/thaw cycles that other areas get, which can be detrimental to an uncovered boat...
but Detroit is even more tropical than us.
I hadn't thought about bent stanchions, but now that you mention it I can see how a couple feet of snow could crumple a tarp and push out some hardware.

We get a lot of freeze/thaw action in Minneapolis so I think I'll be going with the, what was the phrase? Compulsory blue tarp? I'll just be very careful how it's tied down.
Old 10-09-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

There were a number of "naked" boats in my boat yard last winter, but it looked like being "naked" was the least of those boat's problems. At the very least, rig a tarp over the cockpit and companionway area where you have the most nooks and crannies for snow, snowmelt and ice to do what it does best. My tarp did not collect any snow or water last winter, so there was no load on the stanchions. I think the key is to have a steep enough pitch, combined with enough tiedowns to keep the whole thing taut enough to shed snow and water. Clearly, keeping snow and ice off of the boat is preferable to letting it fall on the boat and sit there.
Old 10-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Fairclough cover comes with its own frame. Avg cost = 3 shrink wrappings. Unless you plan to sell sooner, I don't get why one would pay to wrap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Fairclough cover comes with its own frame. Avg cost = 3 shrink wrappings. Unless you plan to sell sooner, I don't get why one would pay to wrap.
The OP can shrinkwrap his boat for $200. I'd like to know where you can get a Fairclough cover with frame for $600. My understanding is they are generally in the range of $3000-$5000, meaning 15-25 years to recoup the investment. I'm guessing the cost of a Fairclough cover might approach the purchase price of the OP's 1972 Tartan 30.

A Fairclough cover is an extravagant luxury that the vast majority of sailboat owners cannot (and should not) put their resources toward. They sure do look nice on the boats in my yard though....
Old 10-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Caberg, there has to be lot of apples and oranges here. I'm not comparing a DIY shrink wrap job to a Fairclough. I'm comparing paying the yard, plus the materials. If the $200 is really all in, the boat must be radio control. I took that to be just labor. One can fairly easily install a custom cover, especially on a small boat. My cover cost $6k. A 30 ft boat would be substantially less.

They more than look good, they are better for your boat and much better for the environment and you will break even.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-10-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

I had a Fairclough cover made for my Ericson 35 and it was nice but it did not shed the snow load properly. I had to go up and knock the snow off from the inside every time we got a storm. Fairclough was not willing to re-make the cover and frame at a steeper angle.

We use shrink wrap on our Caliber because we live aboard and the clear shrink wrap allows light below. It also sheds snow easily and acts as a green house on deck. We keep it ventilated by leaving a gap at the toe-rail for fresh air to circulate.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 10-10-2013

Minnewaska, no offense, but you're totally out of touch with the average sailboat owner with a 30+ year old boat. In another thread you cite turning off the ice maker as a reason to stop sailing for the season. And, hey, that's cool, but you gotta realize how silly you sound recommending a $5000 custom made cover to someone debating whether he should DIY or pay the yard $200 for a shrinkwrap job.
Old 10-10-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Yea, I have about a thousand dollars in my savings account and earning a cool 500/wk on unemployment. and my bills are 425 a week. So a $600 cover is way out of my range. I'll probably spend the rest of my savings winterizing the boat. With $200 for mast storage and $250 to pull and store the boat, Plus the wrap and antifreeze, bla, bla, bla. I would not trade it for the world though. the shrinkwrap is $200 total not just labor. He also sets up some framework. Same guy the PO used for the last six years and the boat looked great when I saw it. And I originally looked at it when it was still shrinkwrapped. I just figured I may do it myself to save a buck but it sounds like 2 bills to have it done good is well worth it to me.
Old 10-10-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

If I could have my boat shrink wrapped for $200 I would do it. The last estimate I got was $1,200 for my Morgan 33 O.I.. So for me, winter is a poly tarp over the boom and another over a line stretched between the bow sprit and the mast.

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.