SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   DIY shrinkwrapping, easy? Pain? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/104387-diy-shrinkwrapping-easy-pain.html)

abrahamx 10-03-2013 02:32 PM

DIY shrinkwrapping, easy? Pain?

I am pretty handy but never did shrink wrapping. Is it easy enough or should I pay the $200 to have it done?

RonRelyea 10-03-2013 02:39 PM

Re: DIY shrinkwrapping, easy? Pain?

my marina does not allow DIY shrinkwrap for fear you will burn up your boat and the rest of the boats in the near vicinity. FWIW

flyingwelshman 10-03-2013 02:49 PM

A couple of years ago a guy in our marina seriously burned his hand trying to save a buck and shrink-wrap his own boat.

The marina does not allow you to do your own.

$200 seems like a good deal - we pay about $350.00

killarney_sailor 10-03-2013 02:51 PM

It is not too hard a job if you have the right tools. Trying to shrink with DIY burners can be tricky and result in lots of holes to be patched. As well, as was stated you may not be allowed to do it.

xort 10-03-2013 04:07 PM

I did my 42' boat, mast up in one day with my wife and one friend. I found it fairly easy.

Tim R. 10-03-2013 04:17 PM

It is easy. The key is not to do it on a windy day. The plastic can burn if you stay in one spot too long or you are too close. If it is windy, the burning plastic can spread quickly. Also, it seems to have an invisible flame(on clear) so the only way you can see it burning is watching the hole get bigger.

$200 is a great price. You can save money by buying a roll of film and sharing the cost of the gun.

I have done my own 40ft. boat for the last 3 years. I taught myself after watching some of the videos at Dr. Shrink.

abrahamx 10-03-2013 04:30 PM

Well anything is allowed where I am and I am a welder so never get burned. ;);) That said, with $200 being a good price, and I can already see wrestiling with a big piece of plastic, plus the same guy did a fine job last year. I am going the pay to have someone else do it route. Thanks for helping me make an informed decision.

boatpoker 10-03-2013 05:20 PM

Rhapsody-NS27 10-03-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abrahamx (Post 1098400)
Well anything is allowed where I am and I am a welder so never get burned. ;);) That said, with $200 being a good price, and I can already see wrestiling with a big piece of plastic, plus the same guy did a fine job last year. I am going the pay to have someone else do it route. Thanks for helping me make an informed decision.

if $200 is a good deal, how about this for an option...

Pay the $200 for someone else to do it and see if they will show you how it's done, or maybe pay a little extra for the teaching. Then you'll know how they do it and be able to do it yourself.

Minnewaska 10-04-2013 06:19 AM

Does the $200 including making the stuff go away in the spring? I think there are better ways to save a buck on boat projects. I would pay.