Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013

gal ecker is on a distinguished road
need help with water heater

i own a Vancouver 25 with a 1gm10 yanmar engine.
it has an external cooling system. (only sea water).
i need to know if i can use the water heater with the sea water from the engine and if there will be any bad consequences.

thanks
gal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Re: need help with water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gal ecker View Post
... (only sea water)...
i need to know if i can use the water heater with the sea water from the engine and if there will be any bad consequences.

thanks
gal
Short reply, YES! Had one, sea water ate the tubing in about a year.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-03-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I can't answer your exact question as my boat has a heat exchanger for the engine cooling system.

Removing the hot water heater on my Pearson 28 was one of the best upgrades yet. Tons of extra storage room, reduced weight, and removed something that was marginally useful anyway.

I can see having one on a liveaboard 35+ boat, but it's really not beneficial on a small coastal cruiser (like both of our boats that are about 29' long). It looks like your boat holds about 50 gallons, so if you took regular showers on the boat you'd probably need to visit a marina every 2 or 3 days. You might as well use their shower.
Old 10-03-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

RWC engines often don't run hot enough to effectively heat a HW tank.. And then there's the corrosion issue already mentioned.

Good HW heaters are costly.. Probably not the upgrade I'd make on a small coastal cruiser - though I'm a solid convert to having H&C pressure water...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-04-2013

When deciding on a water heater or not, it depends not only on size of the boat, but your cruising grounds and how you cruise. We have one on Guenevere. We lived in the San Francisco Bay area aboard for years. It was VERY useful. We cruised tropical waters and it was hardly used. This year we returned to the Bay area for a few months and I can tell you, after crossing the bay on a summer day, dropping anchor and using the engine for 20 min. that hot shower WAS SOOOOO GOOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!! Well worth the space it takes up.

I am NOT saying every one should have or needs one, but if you do

Greg

Youtube page -
Old 10-04-2013

gal ecker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
Short reply, YES! Had one, sea water ate the tubing in about a year.

Greg

do you know if there is a way to prevent this dammage?
mayby with zinks or diffrent water heater?
Old 10-04-2013

gal,

No way to prevent it that I know of. The way it works is that there is just a simple tube that runs through a tank of water. It's that tube that rots out from the hot salt water. Sorry to give you bad news.

We put one in when we had a raw water cooled engine. Did not last and I just gave up. We then had to install a new engine, and it was fresh water cooled so I put in a new water heater. That was in March of 2000, and it's still STILL working great.

Here is a photo I snatched to show the working....

You might have to go the solar shower route....

We also have a fireplace abaord and could use water heated on it for a warm (short) shower.

Hope you find a way get what you need!

Greg

Youtube page -
Old 10-04-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

There are higher quality (more expensive) all Stainless Steel heaters that might last longer, but I think the bigger issue is the generally lower running temp of RWC engine and the increased difficulty of putting the heater coil in the water circuit, depending on the engine.

We have H&C water, and a 'shower' in the head but we virtually never use it. Solar shower bags work great in summer, you can hang them down the hatch and still use the inside shower space if you must (we don't, don't want the added humidity and moisture below - the reason we don't use the official shower as well). I suppose it would be a different story if we lived aboard in cooler weather.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We use our shower all the time and on our boat 34 weekends as well as a 3 week trip every year. We have an inexpensive 6 gallon HWH which I only use on the engine coolant and dont have it hooked up to use when at the dock.

It is one of the convienences which keeps the Admiral very happy. Its nice to be able to shower off using a small amount of water and feel clean.

It is one of the convienences I dont want to give up.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.