Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013

meteuz is on a distinguished road
Washington Sailing Marina closed: government shutdown

As a government employee who is locked out of work, I was thinking catching up on sailing and boat projects might be the silver lining on a government shutdown, especially one that does not last very long. So I went to the Washington Sailing Marina where I keep my boat, and I was told that the marina is on National Park Service land, so it is shut down. I cannot work on my boat there or park my car. If I sail my boat out, I will not be allowed to return until the government is funded!

Purportedly, this is because the Park Service is not funded. However, NPS does not run the marina directly. They contracted the operation to a private service, and I have a contract with that service to keep my boat at the marina and use it. I don't think there is anything in my contract about a government shutdown. I am already paying an inflated price to keep my boat on a trailer and get no services other than having the grass cut every now and then, and having a guard station at the entrance manned some of the time. Now I am told I cannot use my boat while I have the time. How is this not a unilateral taking of privileges I paid for?

Does anybody have any idea if there is any way to challenge this closure that seems to be related to the government shutdown not in a practical and logical way, but rather in a political and capritious one, designed to do nothing but make sure that the disturbance is felt widely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Washington Sailing Marina closed: government shutdown

Sorry to hear about your plight. Your post comes across as understandably frustrating. Unfortunately, if this thread turns into another government/political discussion it will have to be moved to OT.
Seaduction likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-03-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

I would get together with other people in your marina and consult with an attorney. I doubt anyone here will be able to give you a solution outside of just "wait it out".

That and, maybe, contact one of your elected officials.
Old 10-03-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

I think about the ONLY way you might get some help is to go to the press. But they might just pass on it as we boaters seem to be low on the food chain.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your plight.

Greg

Youtube page -
Old 10-03-2013

dixiedawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteuz View Post
As a government employee who is locked out of work, I was thinking catching up on sailing and boat projects might be the silver lining on a government shutdown, especially one that does not last very long. So I went to the Washington Sailing Marina where I keep my boat, and I was told that the marina is on National Park Service land, so it is shut down. I cannot work on my boat there or park my car. If I sail my boat out, I will not be allowed to return until the government is funded!

Purportedly, this is because the Park Service is not funded. However, NPS does not run the marina directly. They contracted the operation to a private service, and I have a contract with that service to keep my boat at the marina and use it. I don't think there is anything in my contract about a government shutdown. I am already paying an inflated price to keep my boat on a trailer and get no services other than having the grass cut every now and then, and having a guard station at the entrance manned some of the time. Now I am told I cannot use my boat while I have the time. How is this not a unilateral taking of privileges I paid for?

Does anybody have any idea if there is any way to challenge this closure that seems to be related to the government shutdown not in a practical and logical way, but rather in a political and capritious one, designed to do nothing but make sure that the disturbance is felt widely.
Dammit man, you got screwed coming and going - can't work, AND can't go sailing!

Somebody here should take you sailing, that's all there is to it.

I'd take you, if I lived in Virginia ... and if I had a boat ...
Old 10-03-2013
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road

Kayak in and if they ask, tell them you been there for weeks. "Shutdown, what shutdown?"
krisscross likes this.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 10-03-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteuz View Post
Now I am told I cannot use my boat while I have the time. How is this not a unilateral taking of privileges I paid for?
A couple of points:
First, "unilateral taking of privileges" is redundant. If it was BILATERAL, it wouldn't be taking.
Second, oh well. I'll file this under "dysfunctional first world problems."
Third, yes, it is a private contractor but it is NPS property, so if the NPS is shut down, you are SOL. The hotdogs are Wrigley Field are provided by a contractor who contracts space from the venue. If you liked the hotdogs at Wrigley Field, would you be pissed that you cannot get a hotdog when there is not a game being played?
Fourth, if the price is inflated, why would you keepyour boat there in the first place?
Fifth, if it is on a TRAILER, take it to a public launch and launch it and retrieve it. Come on, it's an obstacle, not a barrier- adapt and overcome!
Sixth, If i am coming up with all these points and you haven't, is it any wonder why some people wonder how essential unessential furloughed government workers are? Come on man, show some creative problem solving!

Old 10-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Who's going to stop you from returning? When you tie back up in your slip, does the government have "essential personnel" that will cut you loose?

Go use your boat and don't worry about it.
jrd22, jameswilson29 and TTC like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-04-2013
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Eh. Get on the boat, one way or another. Then head downstream and don't look back :-)
Old 10-04-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

You mean provision of sailing support is not considered an essential service? Makes no sense to me.
jrd22 likes this.

Tags
government shutdown , national park serivice , washington sailing marina

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.