I need advice ..off shore or Intracoastal NJ to Florida - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: I need advice ..off shore or Intracoastal NJ to Florida

Not sure where the OP is getting his 8' draft figure, unless it's a centerboard down measurement... I had a look at the boat this morning, to my eye it's no more than about 5.5', especially considering she would be floating pretty high on her lines...

Personally, I will be amazed if that boat ever leaves Mantoloking - especially, for anyplace distant - under her own power :-)

I will say, considering how long she has been sitting untouched in that yard, the condition of the finish of the topsides above the waterline is in remarkably good shape...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 10-04-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2013

cowboyjaan is on a distinguished road

I really want to thank every one for all the advice !! I will keep posting my progress .. Jaan Ojala
Old 10-04-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
What happened with the yard, why is it closing?
Old 10-04-2013

I would suspect ,, Hurricane damage combined with the economy ??
Old 10-04-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Have you thought about getting a quote to truck it?
Old 10-04-2013

Yes, To Oregon .. 22- 32 K
I should get a quote to ship it to a do it your self yard .. perhaps on the west coast of Florida ? Or ?? She needs a good yard that I can be allowed to do most of my own work with the exception of stepping the mast and rigging .
Old 10-04-2013

priscilla is on a distinguished road

These sailnet people are correct' a sailboat, without its rig is very unstable. It could get very unpleasant even in the waterway. She must draw less without her rig! If you go you'll need help...perhaps someone experienced with the waterway, and borrow a waterway guide, join Boat US and bring your bible!
Old 10-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Not sure where the OP is getting his 8' draft figure, unless it's a centerboard down measurement... I had a look at the boat this morning, to my eye it's no more than about 5.5', especially considering she would be floating pretty high on her lines...

Personally, I will be amazed if that boat ever leaves Mantoloking - especially, for anyplace distant - under her own power :-)

I will say, considering how long she has been sitting untouched in that yard, the condition of the finish of the topsides above the waterline is in remarkably good shape...
Hello JonEisberg .. did you look at the boat in person or establish the draft by the photos ? I came up with the 8ft only from memory of standing next to it a year ago .. I could be way off ??
Thanks, Jaan
Old 10-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
What happened with the yard, why is it closing?
Well, they were hit hard by Sandy, being right at Ground Zero across the bridge at the breach at Mantoloking...

The yard suffered considerable damage, but I was surprised it wasn't much worse...

Under Hinckley management, however, the yard was really struggling even before the storm. There was a scare a couple of years ago, that the bank might foreclose on the place, and no one would be able to get their boats out. Needless to say, their winter storage capacity that year took a pretty big hit :-)

Hinckley bought what was Winter Yacht Basin shortly before the financial crash, when the good times were still rolling. I think they may have had visions that it was gonna turn into the premier service center between New England and the Chesapeake for all the Picnic Boats and Talarias that they were selling like hotcakes back then :-)

I'd been dealing with Winter's for years, a totally First Class outfit... Expensive, but worth it (Ken Winter always cut me a bit of a break, we've known one another since racing Lightnings and E-Scows on Barnegat Bay way back when) I loved working on my boat over there, it had the atmosphere of a real, old-fashioned boatyard...

After Hinckley acquired it, the downturn it took was really shocking... Very poor management, the facility (which had always been immaculate as Winter's) saw minimal maintenance, and began to quickly decline...

It's gonna leave a real hole in yachting services in this area, but of course the boating in this area since the storm last fall has been WAY down... The property is for sale, most likely will become some sort of condo/marina project, although something like that will face very strong opposition from the Save Barnegat Bay coalition, time will tell...

Really sad to see a place like this go away, I have a lot of fond memories of that yard, it was the real deal...

Old 10-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyjaan View Post
Hello JonEisberg .. did you look at the boat in person or establish the draft by the photos ? I came up with the 8ft only from memory of standing next to it a year ago .. I could be way off ??
Thanks, Jaan
I eyeballed it this morning... A bit difficult to tell exactly, as there's quite a bit of undergrowth around the boat, but based upon my height, I'd guess 5.5 - 6', at most...

If you are thinking of trying to get it out of there by water, I'd suggest you try to act quickly... Once we start getting later into the fall, and the cold fronts start moving through, you'll have to contend with the blow-out low tides commonly seen at the top of Barnegat Bay... At such a time, there's no way you could make it out of there...

Your best bet if you're gonna launch, might be to at least try to get it up to Johnson Brothers up in Bay Head, only about a mile north... you could have it towed up there, then you'd be over the one real trouble spot in terms of channel depth, then you'd be good to go at your convenience...

Even so, trucking it instead to another nearby location might be the way to go, although I'm guessing you'll have to cut off that pilothouse to take it anywhere by truck...