I need advice ..off shore or Intracoastal NJ to Florida - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013

cowboyjaan is on a distinguished road
Re: I need advice ..off shore or Intracoastal NJ to Florida

Hello again sir ..
What a great insight and information about the Winter now Hinckley yard ..
I am VERY familiar with the poor management of the yard now !!!! no notice what so ever that the yard was closing .. I only found out because I called them .. and that time they said that all the boats need to be out in 30 days .. ??
When I went back there last year I loved how it looked like the old boat yards that I knew on the upper North West .. My family was all commercial fisherman ** FINNISH ***
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2013

What if I get her launched .. I was told that there is still some kind of dock that I can tie to.
Is this true ? If so perhaps I can keep the boat tied until the weather and water permits to move to a better marina ?
Old 10-04-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I would seriously consider Jon's advice of getting it towed up to Johnson Bros near the canal. The channel from Brick up to the canal is narrow and shallow even if you're only
6 ft draft. Get a foot or so out of the channel and you're in 3 ft of water or less.

At least up there you'd be in a working yard with resources available.

The clock is ticking on this move. Don't forget that Sandy hit at the end of Oct. last year and within 9 days of that we got slammed with a nor'easter.

All the stars need to Align for you to make a "late November at the earliest" Start south from NJ. in an untested motorboat. It sounds like a recipe for trouble to me. I wish you well.
Old 10-04-2013

I am calling Johnson Brothers in the morning ( my time ) and see what they have for dock space .. Dose anyone know of someone with a powerboat and experience with towing ?
I have personally done some towing of a vessel far larger than what I had as a tow boat ..I once towed a 55 ft powerboat at the Narrows Tacoma Washington with my 43ft Chris .. at totally with the wrong tide !!
Old 10-04-2013

That's Jon's backyard down there, I'm a little further north. He may come back with someone local who can tow you. Johnson bros probably has someone as well, so when you call them ask them that same question.
Old 10-04-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Sometime, usually during the middle of November, the weather will turn to many more days of northerly wind as Jon mentioned. You'll have to go outside down to Cape May and there will likely be long delays waiting for weather windows. I'd suggest planning to wait for a good stretch of weather to pass below NJ. The Jersey stretch offers few places to bail. Then get into Delaware Bay via Cape May, and just stay inside, using the C&D Canal to go to the Chesapeake, picking up the ICW just below Hampton Roads. If your draft is in the 6' range, as it looks from the pictures, you might think about Green Cove Springs, on the St.John's River in Florida, if it really is 8' you'd have to call them for advice. Northern Florida gets cool but cool is good weather for boat work. In the summer, it's too damned hot and humid to even think down there, no less get any major work done on a boat.
Old 10-04-2013

I think one needs to remember that by late November/December..Days get very short...many marinas close early and some altogether. The Delaware bay is one of those Long transits that you could run out of daylight in. Managing daylight and fuel stops get's trickier in winter. No Sails= more frequent pit stops.

If you're not going to raise your rig, you'll need to make sure you rig up a masthead light..better known as a steaming light.. though, I think that's probably the least of your worries..
Old 10-04-2013

If I can get the boat towed to a local marina like Johnson's and be able to do some work over the winter then make a go at heading south in the early spring ..or would it be best to try to get underway in December ?
Old 10-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Plan it being there at least into the spring. Why would you want to start a wet trip in a cold month if you don't have to?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2013

Jaan, It's sounds like you have some expensive logistical issues. Living in Oregon, trying to refit a boat on the east coast as a DIY ? What's the end game plan ? Were you going to keep the boat in Fla. or try to get it back to Oregon eventually?

I'd weigh the cost of trucking it against the cost of flights, ground transportation, hotels etc.

As far, as moving it in December....it's not something I would look forward to doing along the coast of New jersey..in an unknown, untested boat. But if you could get a good weather window, get it to the chesapeake you could theoretically make some progress south. But that all takes time.. do you have it?

Moving the boat is one thing, then there's all the logistics of flying in, flying out, transportation to and from airports etc. Where would you stay while working on the boat? onboard?

I suppose the most accessible airport is Newark, and Johnson marina is roughly 1 1/2 hours away. I might think about easy access to airports and public transportation.

Johnson does have a fairly large building, They might be able to accomodate your boat under cover. not free, but you'll pay for winter storage anywhere around here.

If you managed to get to the chesapeake you've got the major Baltimore/Washington airports. Lot's to consider..