I need advice ..off shore or Intracoastal NJ to Florida - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013

cowboyjaan is on a distinguished road
Re: I need advice ..off shore or Intracoastal NJ to Florida

Hello sir ..
Yes , defiantly some logistical issues .. The big picture is/was to keep the boat and base out of the Florida area ... I was thinking to have the mast stepped and rigged in Florida as well .. and if I was to keep the boat at the Johnson yard or dockside I was hoping that I could be able to stay aboard to save the motel costs ..
My call to the Johnson yard tomorrow may give me a idea if they even have dock space available and how much $ ?? I am not big daddy Warbucks so I need to consider all the costs . And I totally agree that December is not a idea time to start a trip down unknown to myself waters in a untested sailboat with not sails .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Winter has another sailboat marina in NJ> It is in Riverside NJ. part of a large Marina complex about 10 miles give or take up river from Center City Philadelphia. That river being the Delaware.

I know that people work on boats there. It's kinda pricey but a possible solution. Trucking it wouldn't be out of the question.

Also on the South Jersey side of the Delaware Bay there are some marinas along the Maurice River. These places have some big boats sitting on the hard so they can handle the size.

Lastly, on Rt 50 in Tuckahoe NJ west of Ocean City, is a large boat repair facility. Looks like the kind of place where repair work could be done. Many large boats there. A mix of private and commercial.

As a suggestion, a road trip thru and around NJ, and Delaware might be time and money well spent.

Last edited by TJC45; 10-05-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-05-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyjaan View Post
Hello sir ..
Yes , defiantly some logistical issues .. The big picture is/was to keep the boat and base out of the Florida area ... I was thinking to have the mast stepped and rigged in Florida as well .. and if I was to keep the boat at the Johnson yard or dockside I was hoping that I could be able to stay aboard to save the motel costs ..
My call to the Johnson yard tomorrow may give me a idea if they even have dock space available and how much $ ?? I am not big daddy Warbucks so I need to consider all the costs . And I totally agree that December is not a idea time to start a trip down unknown to myself waters in a untested sailboat with not sails .
Well, Johnson Brothers or Canal Point is not gonna be cheap, although their winter rates for dockage might not be too bad... I would guess their shoreside facilities like showers and rest rooms are probably closed during the winter, however...

Both Sea Tow, and TowBoat/US operate in this area, so they could likely help with getting her towed... And, while Hinckley is being torn down and dismantled as we speak, I would guess you might be able to leave the boat at one of their docks up until the last minute... Again, however, you run the risk of low water as we move towards the winter, and might have to wait for some strong onshore weather to drive the water levels back up for the tow...

Are you sure the boat would be habitable at this time? When was the last time you were aboard? Speaking with one of the guys on Hinckley's skeleton crew yesterday, he seemed to think there was a pretty serious mold issue now with that boat's interior...
Old 10-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If I lived in Oregon and had a project boat in NJ, I would be trying to figure how to dispose of her, not move her. From the sounds of it, she is in no shape to make a long passage of any kind.

Maybe I missed it, but motoring a sailboat offshore with no rig seems insane to me. The stability of a sailboat with no mast can be very awkward. Worse, it seems you actually have a mast, so what happens to it? It doesn't sound like it is ready to be stepped, let alone rigged. If you were going to lay it across the deck, going offshore is essentially out of bounds, IMO. Very unstable and interferes with movement around the deck.

Sorry for the mess you're in. If you have some attachment to the hulk (though you do have it for sale), just find a cheap yard to haul her out on for the winter and cut your price. Although, how many years will it take for year round yard fees to eat up all your equity. Scrapping, I hate to say it, may be your least expensive option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Another idea, get some tax savings. Although, I'm not sure they would take it.

Action Donation Services - Donation Form

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-05-2013

I want to thank everyone again for all the great advice .. that I will do my best to apply to my trip south ..
I am going to contact the local marinas and see if there is a slip that I can winter in .
I am new to this sight .. so, please have patience with my replies .
Thanks, Jaan
Old 10-05-2013

I want to thank everyone for all the great advice ..that I will heed to !!
will start contacting some of the marinas in the area to see if anyone has a slip available that is not to expensive that I can winter in .
Is anyone familiar with the condition of the Hinckley yard and slips ( Brick NJ )..whats left of them ? I was told by the management that there is still a dock there that I can tie to .. but, at this time I am not sure of what I hear from them that I can put any trust in at that yard
Thanks, Jaan
Old 10-05-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I eyeballed it this morning... A bit difficult to tell exactly, as there's quite a bit of undergrowth around the boat, but based upon my height, I'd guess 5.5 - 6', at most...

If you are thinking of trying to get it out of there by water, I'd suggest you try to act quickly... Once we start getting later into the fall, and the cold fronts start moving through, you'll have to contend with the blow-out low tides commonly seen at the top of Barnegat Bay... At such a time, there's no way you could make it out of there...

Your best bet if you're gonna launch, might be to at least try to get it up to Johnson Brothers up in Bay Head, only about a mile north... you could have it towed up there, then you'd be over the one real trouble spot in terms of channel depth, then you'd be good to go at your convenience...

Even so, trucking it instead to another nearby location might be the way to go, although I'm guessing you'll have to cut off that pilothouse to take it anywhere by truck...
I think Captain Jon has it right: move it a mile or so for the restoration. Why move it all the way to Florida?
Old 10-05-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Jaan, I can't copy pics from Ebay. but is that photo of the bow showing a very very large crack in the bow at the water line? ( hope it's just a weed) Looking over the photos it's clear that the boat will need allot to be seaworthy! No panes in the bridge windows, open ports, bottom paint etc. no inside photos but I'm sure there's a reason for that.. HOW BAD is the interior? rudder? steering? Through hulls?

One thing may make it worth saving. It must be a motor sailor with twin 77 hp Yanmar diesels.

Logistically it's a nightmare, you could sell the engines and maybe have the boat cut up and break even. 60ft boat, owner 3,000 miles away, NJ seacoast changed forever by storms, = recipe for VERY BIG COSTS!
jameswilson29 likes this.

my current "project"!
Old 10-05-2013

As I remember it ..that was only a surface mark on the bow .. The rudder and shaft looked good with just a surface evaluation ... but you never know until ya get into it !!
The interior is completely shot !!! and everything mechanically needs help !! moister / water in the bilge and time ...