Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road
Multiple Boats

Lately I have been infatuated with smaller boats- Flying Scots, Tanzer 16s, the Harpoon 5.2, etc. You name it, I am constantly dreaming of having another smaller boat, even though I already have my hands full with a boat that I am growing into.
It would be nice to have something that I can work on at home, and have something the neighbors would drool over.
Is this normal?? How many people have multiple boats?
Old 10-04-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Multiple Boats

Currently at the pier

Last year at the pier.

Under the cover on the jet dock:

I have almost always had at least 2 boats, since I started boating.
FirstCandC likes this.
Old 10-04-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I've owned a Pearson that is a hair bigger than your C&C for about a year:

Two weeks ago a friend and I bought a 505 for fun and racing:

I also volunteer at the Center for Wooden Boats, where I often get to sail a Blanchard Junior:

And the Lightning:

Two boats does mean twice as much to maintain. Just because they are smaller doesn't make them zero work. However I think it will suite me well to have a big boat for cruising and more casual racing, and a small boat that can really zoom.
FirstCandC likes this.
Old 10-04-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I've been considering multiples for some time now. I'd sooner have a small boat ta play with when the fancy strikes me. A sailing hard-shell dink would be the catz-nutz; as I could use it as a tender for the mother-vessel AND a toy on occasions.
Finding the *right* one has been a challenge
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2013
always busy with sailing

and for what it is worth I think the most sensible idea is probably to join a club. For the $1000-$2000 price of a classic racing dinghy (like our old 505) I could have joined Sail Sandpoint ($175/year) for 5-10 years and sailed their dinghies as much as I liked.

For that matter chartering boats out of a club can make a lot of financial sense too. By my math I'm on the borderline of having boat ownership make sense, and I use the boat about once a week plus a couple weeks of cruising in an average year.
Old 10-04-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quite a few people in our sail club have multiple small boats. Every year I kick around keeping a small boat at home to play with in the lake down the road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-04-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

I had over 10 boats just recently but we have (GASP) sold some to buy sails for our newest family member.

Of course as soon as this happened, I started to get the desire to build a new one and the talk has turned that direction on the steel boat thread. Need a winter project up here in the cold. Oh, and my daughter wants a kayak built for her, and a laser or other small sailboat... never ends really
Old 10-04-2013
always busy with sailing

I'm not counting tender-style dinghies and kayaks in my boat collection. Then the number can truly get absurd (I think it would be 7, depending on how you count the ones that I have shared ownership in).
Old 10-04-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

For over 15 years we ran two boats.. one 'cruiser' (a 28 then a 40) and a 24 foot day racer. It was the best of both worlds, and we did this with a partner family. We always had crew, at the start of this endeavour our boys were young, by the time they were 11 they were full time regular race crew (of 4) so it was Dads and sons - a great bonding time, sailing was ingrained in the boys early on anyway, this just reinforced it all.

It got to the point that rarely did anything need to be said at mark roundings, boat handling was automatic. We were our YC's 'boat of the year' 9 years running...

We were fortunate to have very inexpensive moorage, a great sailing venue and so enjoyed both the comfort and space of a larger cruiser, and being able to race competitively on an inexpensive to run boat. LOVED pulling into a regatta on the 40 footer with the 24 in tow!!
Alex W likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-04-2013

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Not sure everyone would agree, but I think I have a reasonable fleet: 32 ft. "larger" sailboat, a 10 ft. inflatable dinghy for the sailboat, a 19 ft. power boat for fishing "big" water, a "smaller" sailboat for wanting to get really close to the water ...14 ft. sunfish in my case, and 14 ft. Jon boat for creek fishing. And while I don't have one, a kayak might be another nice addition. Your own choice of larger/small can be adjusted to your own needs and opinion. Now, if you are fortunate enough to have homes in several locations, your fleet needs would expand to cover the multiple locations.

But the amount of time required for cleaning, upkeep and costs go up as the fleet expands. And unfortunately, that takes away from time available for actually using the boats.