Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island - Page 10 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree289Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Well, apparently, her husband managed to stab one of them after she was hacked in the face. I'm sure that contributed to at least that particular attacker's decision to leave the boat
I missed that. I'm sure it did. When faced with a violent intruder, its about all that will work.
ShoalFinder likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Methinks both doth protest a bit too much (-:

My overall point is "cruisers" aren't exactly out there curing cancer. It's a "me" oriented white guy pastime, and you're kidding yourself if you think anything different. You're not one of "them" (the locals), you're not better than those who haven't arrived by boat for a week or a months vacation, and you aren't privy to any "wisdom" the rest of us aren't privy to.

You need to get over yourselves and realize what/who you are. You're rich (by their standards) white sailboaters, and other than pumping a little cash into their local economy while you're anchored off their shores, you're not part of their world and never will be. Traveling is fine and good, but don't get a swelled sense of self worth over it (or you just might wind up becoming the very ugly "mercuns you show so much disdain for in the first place).

Well actually many cruisers bring along books and other school supplies and volunteer at schools while there. Others bring medical skills and help the locals where doctors are not often available. So yes it is completely different than arriving on a cruise ship or airplane where you will not get to know anyone's name or ever see them again. They spend a month or six in one location often and do become a part of the community. Do they become one of them, of course not, but if you cannot see the difference then it is likely a good thing you gave up on cruising. I am sure you would not have gotten much out of it besides a sunburn. It takes an open mind and heart to be able to really experience another culture and if you think that can happen on a one week visit from a cruise ship you would not get it. I have not gone cruising but I have spent months abroad and I know I did not become one of the locals, I did get to experience it at a totally different level than I would on a chartered tour. I have been on cruse ships and yes I am certain the locals think of the masses coming off the cruse ships completely differently than a cruiser on a sailboat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There are generally two kinds of intruders.

Those that will scare away, when they learn you are aboard.

Those that won't.

The latter is the minority, but are the ones where you better be prepared to defend your life. They will assume they are defending theirs, as they do not know what you are capable of either.

I've missed how these intruders were ultimately chased away? Makes me wonder if they were caught by surprise, swung the machete then ran? I did read the victim's post that she felt they were intent on harm, but I don't recall how they ran them off.

As for pepper type sprays, I don't believe you can buy products as potent as those used by law enforcement in the US. I could be wrong about that.
Apparently the husband grabbed a kitchen knife and stabbed the kid. He fell overboard. Seems to me they likely thought the boat was empty and got surprised and likely freaked out and swung the machete. Seems the only logical thing, unless they were high or drunk. It is one thing to do a terrible thing, but to do it knowing you are likely to get caught and likely to have someone fight back seems highly improbable.
Old 10-09-2013
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Seems to me they likely thought the boat was empty and got surprised and likely freaked out and swung the machete. Seems the only logical thing, unless they were high or drunk. It is one thing to do a terrible thing, but to do it knowing you are likely to get caught and likely to have someone fight back seems highly improbable.
You'd make a horrible defense attorney. You: "So, your Honor, you can see that my client had no intention of harming anyone, he was simply surprised." Judge: "If your client had no intent to be injurious why, then, was he wielding a machete?" You: "Ummmmm..."
erps and ShoalFinder like this.
Old 10-09-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
You'd make a horrible defense attorney. You: "So, your Honor, you can see that my client had no intention of harming anyone, he was simply surprised." Judge: "If your client had no intent to be injurious why, then, was he wielding a machete?" You: "Ummmmm..."
I am not trying to defend them, in no way was I doing that.
Old 10-10-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Ok everybody - moderator hat here:

Let's not make any of this personal. Let's keep it focused on boating. When it gets too personal or too much of a gun thread, it goes into the sewer. And that would be a shame because there is really a lot of great information here.

Brian
tdw and Seaduction like this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-10-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Sorry, I but think you are misreading much of what has been posted here...

Certainly, there are differing opinions on how best to view the risks of such an attack, but I'm sure not seeing anyone "blaming the victim", here...

If anything, there seems to be pretty unanimous admiration for the manner in which Tina and Mark dealt with the situation, and nothing but good thoughts for their recovery...
Those who are implying or flat out suggesting that just by being anchored in "such a dangerous" place as the Grenadines, the Caribbean or anywhere beyond what they consider to be the safe old USA are indeed blaming the victims. That is what I am referring to; they were NOT anchored in Venezuela for crying out loud!
lowtide (10-10-2013)
Old 10-11-2013
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
OR, you could just make it damned difficult for him to get into the cabin.

Then start raising such a commotion that he gives up and heads for the hills, before "the cavalry" arrives.
Make it too tough for the enemy to get in, and you won't be able to get out.

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

Old 10-11-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post

Jerry
You engaged an IQ point for that 'post'?

Old 10-11-2013
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
You engaged an IQ point for that 'post'?

Don't think so my friend. However I would want to make sure I can get out though those areas if I absolutely had to. For instance, what if there was a fire and the main exit for whatever reason was blocked? What if you were inverted and the main exit was blocked, filling full of water? Something to think about eh? At least on the inside install a quick release mechanism. For some of us it is common sense, comes with experience. I don't think it involves much rocket science.

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

Old 10-11-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post

Jerry
you can rig up a quick release from the inside. I prefer to keep it simple to minimize damage.