Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island - Page 11 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree289Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post
Make it too tough for the enemy to get in, and you won't be able to get out.

Jerry
Do you leave the doors to your home unlocked at night?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

My wife will not ever let me install the hatch in the companionway, while we're sleeping. Makes her seriously claustrophobic. Something locked would send her over the edge. Going to have to stay clear of places this is an issue, I guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-11-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Reality is that quick release is not that easy to achieve if release itself is distant from the companionway. As per offshore racing regs (Cat 6 ? I'm not certain) we are required to have board lockable from the inside with a quick release but quite frankly it would be useless against an intruder.

Otoh , the metal frame, which I think is damn good idea particularly if covered in insect screen, can be unlocked pretty quickly in an emergency and would not be used at sea only at anchor. If we suffer a catastophic hull failure or inferno at anchor and don't have time to unlock the metal frame then there are two hatches offering alternative egress.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-11-2013
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
I lock my doors.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.

Bruce Lee

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING OUR PRESENT LAWS NOW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2013

Tenoch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post
For instance, what if there was a fire and the main exit for whatever reason was blocked? What if you were inverted and the main exit was blocked, filling full of water? Something to think about eh?

Jerry
I agree it is important to have an escape route in case of fire....but I hope I never end up "inverted" at anchor!
Old 10-11-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoch View Post
I agree it is important to have an escape route in case of fire....but I hope I never end up "inverted" at anchor!
inverted at anchor?? I suppose that possible. I guess we better start thinking of installing an escape hatch in the bottom.....
Old 10-11-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Often
Old 10-12-2013

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road

So how is the lady? Medical treatment is expensive and I wonder if there is a collection being taken or any help being given to these poor people?
Old 10-12-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafrontiersman View Post
So how is the lady? Medical treatment is expensive and I wonder if there is a collection being taken or any help being given to these poor people?
They both had their stitches taken out yesterday. I spoke to Mark last night and both feel better without them.
I think it takes a day of so after they come out to feel better.

The medical fees including Hospital, and post hosp accomodation has been paid for by Grenada Toruism!
They are now in a room and their boat at Port Louis Marina and all paid for by Port Louis Marina.

Tina and Mark hosted a security meeting at Port Louis Marina on Thursday night which I was the MC.
We had between 150 and 200 people (with GREAT food from the marina all supplied by them!).

Tina and Mark talked everyone right through every detail of the attack and aftermath and were very full in answering questions.
We then had a big group discussion on things we can do. (Amazingly completely different from the BS that comes up in this thread!!).

We found that there are not many incidents like this! No one in the whole group had this sort of experience so it doesnt happen often.
There as a break and enter of a boat last Sunday, crew not on board, so we discussed that too.

One great discussion thread was about having cockpit lights that can be turned on quickly from below including a switch at the bed. If you hear any little noise you bung the lights on and experience has been if there is anything out there, they will get off, or at least you can see them.

Also stuff about DSC use because we have a radio repeater here thats much better than DSC (and Police/Coast Guard dont have DSC anyway). DSC tx's on VHF 70 and defaults to 16 neither which have a repeater so voice on 66 is better.

Lots of ideas came up, lots of great discussion, lots of good will etc. Great positive evening.

All in all Tina and Mark are doing better than one could expect. They are a pretty dynamic couple, Mark quite laid back and Tina quite a go-getter they ballance very well and I think give each other a hugh amount of mutual support.

Good on them!

Carl's Sail Calculator now at
Old 10-12-2013
s/v Paragon

momoparagon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

Tina and Mark hosted a security meeting at Port Louis Marina on Thursday night which I was the MC.
We had between 150 and 200 people (with GREAT food from the marina all supplied by them!).

We found that there are not many incidents like this! No one in the whole group had this sort of experience so it doesnt happen often.

Lots of ideas came up, lots of great discussion, lots of good will etc. Great positive evening.

They sound like an amazing couple. It is lovely to see that they are doing well and I send many good wishes in their direction for a continued recovery.

It is also nice to see that they are using this experience to enact positive change and awareness. I don't suppose anyone filmed the gathering…it would be interesting to see the discussion that ensued and some of the solutions that were suggested.

Thanks for the updates!

Fair winds,
Monique
s/v Paragon
MarkofSeaLife likes this.