Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island - Page 12 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree289Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

C'mon folks, lets keep personalities out of this, and concentrate on practical solutions and wishing these poor people a rapid recovery from their ordeal, okay??

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
C'mon folks, lets keep personalities out of this, and concentrate on practical solutions and wishing these poor people a rapid recovery from their ordeal, okay??
You can't when peanuts just extol their BS in multiples of posts. The morons win the day as they so often do on the internet.

Sorry, Faster, I know you try, but the reason Moderators can't control it is they are looking only for trigger words and posts. You are not looking at over all twaddle peddled by sub-intelligence polemics.

If they did this, SN and some other forums would be much the better for it.

Part of Sail Net has some areas where drivel is allowed to be posted. This type of thread should not be allowed to drift into that myasma. Real good can be done here with this thread. Its up to the Mods to work out how much good they are prepared to work for.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
lowtide (10-12-2013)
Old 10-12-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Thoroughly agree with Mark's comments and Fast's post.

If the BS continues posts will be deleted and who knows maybe someone out there in loopyville might like an all expenses paid holiday.

There have now been more than one thread in General Interest that has been totally derailed by the gun nuts. Time has come for that to stop. If it requires a bit of cleansing then so be it.

I don't give a fettid dingoe's kidney which side of the gun debate you are on, mention guns in an On Topic thread without a very good reason indeed and you are likely to travel.

yeah, yeah, I know, power hungry megalomaniac blah blah blah .... save your breath, I've heard it all before.
arf145 and bigdogandy like this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-12-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Thoroughly agree with Mark's comments and Fast's post.

If the BS continues posts will be deleted and who knows maybe someone out there in loopyville might like an all expenses paid holiday.

There have now been more than one thread in General Interest that has been totally derailed by the gun nuts. Time has come for that to stop. If it requires a bit of cleansing then so be it.

I don't give a fettid dingoe's kidney which side of the gun debate you are on, mention guns in an On Topic thread without a very good reason indeed and you are likely to travel.

yeah, yeah, I know, power hungry megalomaniac blah blah blah .... save your breath, I've heard it all before.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 10-12-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
history is written in the artifacts, detritus of past generations left buried to be uncovered often by accident sometime in the future with no help of the media...
Stated more succinctly as "Pics or it didn't happen!"
Quote:
...Media is an invention of mans most often used today to manipulate the masses...
Paranoid.
Quote:
...When you loose a favorite tool overboard that may be found by someone hundreds of years in the future was the media involved? Will it become involved upon the discovery of your tool? Possibly but your tool has by then become part of history not the media that reported the finding
Back to the topic of this thread, I'll continue to rely on crime statistics to determine long-term trends in safety, and local knowledge for short-term aberrations (i.e., stay away from places that have had violent attacks in recent days or weeks).

You seem to prefer to wait hundreds of years to discover the artifacts that lead you to believe that violence exists anywhere there are humans. But that's archaeology. It's neither history nor criminology.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-13-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Stated more succinctly as "Pics or it didn't happen!"

Paranoid.

Back to the topic of this thread, I'll continue to rely on crime statistics to determine long-term trends in safety, and local knowledge for short-term aberrations (i.e., stay away from places that have had violent attacks in recent days or weeks).

You seem to prefer to wait hundreds of years to discover the artifacts that lead you to believe that violence exists anywhere there are humans. But that's archaeology. It's neither history nor criminology.
yes....good chuckle, thanks

archaeology is the history of man written in the land around us while geology is the history of the earth written in the rocks around us. The different rock strata tell us earths past and old ruins, archaeological finds, tell us of our past.
media is the huffington press or the wall street journal
Old 10-13-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Well now, some of the more discerning amongst you may have noticed that this thread is but a shadow of its former self.

Much of the garbage, and some of the good stuff too, has been moved to a new thread in PRWG. Some may need to be brought back and maybe some more needs to be trimmed but for now this is how it is.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/politi...-gun-nuts.html

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-13-2013

BlueMonsoon is on a distinguished road

I have been based in St. Vincent since 1993, before that sailing Europe and the Med and coming from the UK. I saw crime of some sort most of the Countries I went to, but as some on this thread have said, use the information you have, then use your head.

There has always been crime in the islands, yes drugs do play a part, but poverty plays a bigger part. They are small islands and work is hard to come by, but the economic problems that our banker inflicted upon them has made there lives harder, their cost of living has gone up on top of their financial problems.

So when some of them see wealth anchored on there door step, it can be a temptation to some and an easy target. Having said that, it doesn't make it right for them to commit these crimes and in the long run it drives away tourist dollars from the island, which is self defeating.

I'm based there because the Grenadines are beautiful and will continue sailing there because I like the place so much, for many many reasons.

So going back to what I said earlier, when visiting these places and other places like it around the world, use the information you have at hand and use your head to make sensible decisions.
Brian.
Old 10-13-2013
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Well now, some of the more discerning amongst you may have noticed that this thread is but a shadow of its former self.

Much of the garbage, and some of the good stuff too, has been moved to a new thread in PRWG. Some may need to be brought back and maybe some more needs to be trimmed but for now this is how it is.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/politi...-gun-nuts.html
Since there has been some serious censorship there should be no wonder there is but a shadow. I think the term "gun nuts" is very derogatory and should be banned from a person with his/her moderator hat on. However that being said I will respect the wishes of this moderator and the person who started this thread. Just use common sense and keep your eyes open.

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 10-13-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-13-2013

BlueMonsoon is on a distinguished road

what is a PRWG?