Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island - Page 13 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree316Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMonsoon View Post
what is a PRWG?
A dark scary place.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2013

BlueMonsoon is on a distinguished road

Hmm, I'm clearly missing something here, having said that, I've only been on the forum for 1 day.
What make one a gun nut. I do carry guns and for a Brit, that is no easy task.
However I do comply to the countries regs and sign them in or bond them on the boat. But I have had to use then on two occasions while on passage!

Last edited by BlueMonsoon; 10-13-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-13-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMonsoon View Post
what is a PRWG?
Welcome to SailNet.

PRWG is a sub-forum of the Off Topic forum. It's where moderators attempt to keep all politics, religion, war and government topics as those discussions can get heated and nasty. The General Sailing forum is really just for...sailing.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/politi...ar-government/

Sometimes, as in threads such as this, it is a fine line, but we moderators are human and try our best. If one group is ok with a decision, another group will demand that we do something opposing it. The posts in question were not deleted, just moved, and not without discussion between us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-13-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post
Since there has been some serious censorship there should be no wonder there is but a shadow. I think the term "gun nuts" is very derogatory and should be banned from a person with his/her moderator hat on. However that being said I will respect the wishes of this moderator and the person who started this thread. Just use common sense and keep your eyes open.

Jerry
Jerry, just to be very clear about this ..... there has been no censorship. All that happened yesterday was that I split the thread into two, one (I confess poorly named but see below) over in PRWG the other still in General Interest Sailing Related. No posts were deleted and I didn't do any editing. The simple reality is that discussions that in any way relate to guns, gun control laws, second amendment rights blah blah blah will always end up in PRWG, at least while I am still a SailNet moderator.

ref the name ... mea culpa, it was I admit inappropriate, even though it accords with my personal viewpoint.
smackdaddy likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-13-2013
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Definitely censorship.

You are censoring content by moving some content to where it won't "bother" the majority political viewpoint on firearms and cruising, as well as taking a political side in general discussion while wearing the moderator hat. A thread like this should be an appropriate enough place for both viewpoints to be able to discuss self defense while cruising.

It is what it is.
Stella's crew and rivorsaylor like this.
Old 10-13-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The trouble with gun related threads, is they almost always end up in an argument over gun rights, etc. However, it would seem the simple introduction of protecting oneself while cruising, even if with a gun, is sailing related.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-13-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Definitely censorship.

You are censoring content by moving some content to where it won't "bother" the majority political viewpoint on firearms and cruising, as well as taking a political side in general discussion while wearing the moderator hat. A thread like this should be an appropriate enough place for both viewpoints to be able to discuss self defense while cruising.

It is what it is.
What a load of complete and utter nonsense Chris. This obsession some of you have re your supposed right to bear arms is not sailing related in any way whatsoever. Never has been, never will be. At least not under my watch.

To quote from Wikipedia, "Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by a government, media outlet or other controlling body."

Suppression being the operative word. Not one word was excised by me from a single post in the original thread, not one post has disappeared or been suppressed. It is all there, in its entirety, every post, every last word. How pray tell is that suppression ?

I do grant you that splitting the thread has resulted in you having to read though two threads instead of one and I apologise most humbly if that has been an overly onerous inconvenience for you. Indeed so gutted am I at having so egregiously offended you that I've asked one of my fellow mods to drop a quarter into your mailbox when passing. Use it with care.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-13-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The trouble with gun related threads, is they almost always end up in an argument over gun rights, etc. However, it would seem the simple introduction of protecting oneself while cruising, even if with a gun, is sailing related.
Very true. Discussing the merits (or not) of protecting oneself while cruising is one thing. Debating gun rights is something different and almost never ends without name calling and other forms of disrespect.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 10-14-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

The mods got it right IMO.
MarkofSeaLife and Minnesail like this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-14-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Chris and Eric.. see the OTHER SVG thread to continue if you must.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.