Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island - Page 7 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree289Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013

jimkyle99 is on a distinguished road
Re: Violent attack, Cruisers injured, St Vincent & Grenadines, Union Island

For what it's worth that grillwork on the companionway looks like it wouldn't stop a determined dog let alone a 230lb pissed-off felon. One good pull and it's gong to jump out of its tracks. I would think the companionway board would be a better bet even if a little stuffy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkyle99 View Post
For what it's worth that grillwork on the companionway looks like it wouldn't stop a determined dog let alone a 230lb pissed-off felon. One good pull and it's gong to jump out of its tracks. I would think the companionway board would be a better bet even if a little stuffy.
The idea is that it's enough to stop the casual thief or opportunist. The violent invader is the rare exception and perhaps the grate would yield after a few kicks or a crowbar. Personally, I think the bars are a great idea and I plan to install them, especially for when I leave the boat for the day to go off exploring but don't want to close it up. As it is, I just leave it open. I don't really worry about being invaded by anything other than mosquitoes in some anchorages.
Old 10-06-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post
She still almost died, he was hurt and the perps got away to do this again with impunity. ....
Jerry
Ummmm. No, 3 alleged perps are in Jail.

They will suffer the full letter of their country's justice system. The two attacked are not shying away from their witness responsibilities and their efforts will make that area a safer place.

Crime in any country can only be taken down by good people doing the right thing. Although injured and attacked, good people will win the day.

Sometimes courage isn't about a .44. Its playing the difficulties of life in the way these cruisers are.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
lowtide (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013

Plumbean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
I cannot help but feel that people are not reading the original post. The guy's wife was hacked by a machete in the head cutting through her cheek and teeth. Are you really going to be thinking about the "fear trying to sleep at night seeing the face of a mother whose child I took" when your wife is lying there bleeding to death? "Go ahead, have another wack at her with your machete, I'm sure we can work this out and all live happily ever after."

I'm one of the last people to condone any use of force, but c'mon now. This was not a situation involving "a few dollars."
Has there been any description of what happened leading up to the attack? To me, it is one thing to be confronted by a violent attacker who doesn't say "hand over the money" first but just starts swinging. Do we know that is what happened here? If it is, I see no problem with a violent and potentially lethal response. On the other hand, if the guy showed up with his machete and asked the question first, it would certainly appear that compliance with his request makes sense. Of course you never know how the thief will react, but resistance up front is likely to get a response from him. I'd rather take my chances and if he decides to get violent after I give him the money, then hopefully I'm still in a position to respond.

So far I have not seen a description about how the situation escalated, nor have I seen a description about what (if anything) was done by the husband that resulted in the attackers leaving.
Old 10-07-2013

jabe is on a distinguished road

Sailing is not without its risks.
Old 10-07-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I don't know what happened either. But in retrospect, it may have been better to let the thugs get away with $100 or so (and eventually get caught by law enforcement) than it was to fight back and subject your wife to a disfiguring attack.
Their intent was robbery, not murder. Fighting back most likely led to the machete attack. All that violence over a little money?
I'm sure some of you will slam me for this. Fire away.
From the reports we have gotten down here in Grenada, Tina heard a noise in the cockpit and stuck her head out the hatch to investigate and was hit by the machete immediately. She apparently had no idea anybody was aboard the boat, heard no warning, nor a demand for anything.

"Their intent was robbery, not murder. Fighting back most likely led to the machete attack" THIS IS PURE BULL MANURE.

The intent may have been robbery, but Rita never had a chance to accede to anything and Mark had only seconds to react to save his wife. Unless he had a sidearm on his hip, any weapon or spray would probably not have been handy.
Get your facts straight before you blame the victims, at least in this case!
Old 10-07-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I thought they often killed everyone on board and stole the whole vessel to be sold or used to smuggle drugs? Hey uoi guys/gals out there in the aqrea whats the truth?
Basically, no. Most such attacks are not part of any grand plan. The bad guys see people who look really rich and want some easy money. I don't think it is that big a risk but if I did I think it was I would be into motion detectors, very bright flashing lights and Ride of the Valkyries at loud volume (think Apocalypse Now). I suspect you would have intruders abandoning ship very quickly indeed.
Old 10-07-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Just posted;
Tina and Marke from S/V Rainbow.
Thankyou everyone for you support. Today, the 3 boys that commited this horrifying night are heading to St Vincent today. We're not sure what they are being charged with, but, I did receive a phone call this morn from SGV from a concerned gentleman saying "one bad apple spoils it for the rest, and they probably just wanted to rob you" Well, my feelings toward this is... 3 boys get in a rowing dingy w/ a cutlass, row a mile, board a boat around 8:15 at night, start slashing w/o even asking for money. We had 200 EC, a small computer, 2 digital cameras and cheap sell phone. We would have given them these items w/o hesitation. I feel they're intent was to harm. PERIOD!!

OK, got it now?
chrisncate, Group9 and TTC like this.
Old 10-07-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Just posted;
Thankyou everyone for you support. Today, the 3 boys that commited this horrifying night are heading to St Vincent today. We're not sure what they are being charged with, but, I did receive a phone call this morn from SGV from a concerned gentleman saying "one bad apple spoils it for the rest, and they probably just wanted to rob you" Well, my feelings toward this is... 3 boys get in a rowing dingy w/ a cutlass, row a mile, board a boat around 8:15 at night, start slashing w/o even asking for money. We had 200 EC, a small computer, 2 digital cameras and cheap sell phone. We would have given them these items w/o hesitation. I feel they're intent was to harm. PERIOD!!

OK, got it now?
I got it from the beginning. I'm sure the poor under privileged boys will be properly disciplined and sent home to their parents....grrrrrr

Tina and Marke, thanks for the update.

Maybe out of the goodness of your hearts you guys should consider adopting these poor boys and teach them the proper way to live. I have room out here in the pacific ocean to accommodate them. We could give them the job of cleaning up all that plastic flotsam floating out in the pacific to use up their extra energy. What do you think?
Better yet they could get to work cleaning up the Sargasso sea out your way
Old 10-07-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Just posted;

OK, got it now?
Thanks for the update capta. Any word on how Tina is doing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40