World's worst sailor - needs 10 rescues in a month! - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013

tsell is on a distinguished road
Re: World's worst sailor - needs 10 rescues in a month!

I wonder if he would have been arrested in the U.S. I don't think we have made stupidity illegal here yet.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"I don't think we have made stupidity illegal here yet. "
Not per se, but most if not all states provide for 48-hour psych evals, and protective custody in one form or another. And the USCG can and will terminate voyages and seize vessels as "manifestly unsafe".
While we allow drunk drivers to continue drinking and driving with literally 40 suspensions on their license, I suspect that after ten rescues, someone would find a way to restrain the fellow. You'd have to delve into the circumstances and specifics to look at that.
Old 10-05-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"I don't think we have made stupidity illegal here yet. "
Not per se, but most if not all states provide for 48-hour psych evals, and protective custody in one form or another. And the USCG can and will terminate voyages and seize vessels as "manifestly unsafe".
While we allow drunk drivers to continue drinking and driving with literally 40 suspensions on their license, I suspect that after ten rescues, someone would find a way to restrain the fellow. You'd have to delve into the circumstances and specifics to look at that.
FWIW, he wasn't arrested for bad sailing. They found a black mark in his past in order to get him behind bars. The US would have done the same thing:
Quote:
Freeman was arrested on behalf of Warwickshire Police in connection with allegedly failing to attend a previous court appearance in Leamington Spa to answer charges of assault.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-05-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

wow! I started a thread about learning to sail because having had power boats all my life I now wish to learn sailing and some have suggested I take classes. After reading about this guy I think I should contact him and get him to teach me everything I will need to know not to do on a sailboat before taking classes. Good idea??

Britain's Captain Calamity arrested after being rescued for a TENTH time as his yacht is grounded | Mail Online
Old 10-05-2013

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

Yes bfloyd great approach in taking lessons from Capt. Calamity,
in fact I believe he was my sailing instructor when I first learn to sail...but I never caught on that he was teaching "what not to do"
on a sailboat... now that explains alot and makes this sailing thing
a whole lot clearer! Maybe now I can get friends to come sailing with me!
Old 10-06-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsell View Post
. I don't think we have made stupidity illegal here yet.
Our prisons are already too crowded

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGOSALT View Post
Yes bfloyd great approach in taking lessons from Capt. Calamity,
in fact I believe he was my sailing instructor when I first learn to sail...but I never caught on that he was teaching "what not to do"
on a sailboat... now that explains alot and makes this sailing thing
a whole lot clearer! Maybe now I can get friends to come sailing with me!
chuckle......so you put yourself at the same skill level s these very famous sailors?.....Do you give classes????...

Seems to me modern sailor sail when it is convienient and the rest of the time they motor here and there.
Are there any real sailor out there that can and do sail every where?
Old 10-06-2013

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

Skill level and experience is no where near theirs... Their familiarity and dedication to the study of bottom types, conditions, contours and geology far exceeds mine!
Old 10-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGOSALT View Post
Skill level and experience is no where near theirs... Their familiarity and dedication to the study of bottom types, conditions, contours and geology far exceeds mine!
ha ha ha.....many many years ago when I kinda got a reputation as a good guy to put a boating question to in the local area. One day I took a couple of friends out to teach one of them the basic protocol of skippering a powerboat in the delta and rivers. Well things were going good and I began to become comfortable with the new skippers ability to keep us out of harms way and looked away for a minute to suddently see a duck blind pass us only inches away. Looked at the depth we were in 2.5 feet of water and wump, we hit. No damage done just a mud bottom and we were only going about18knts.
After that incident I was branded Captain Hardaground! I sent these charactors this thread and of course they reminded me of my distinction as Captain Hardaground.

I tell you fame like this will never let you go. the above incident was 35 years ago