SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

World's worst sailor - needs 10 rescues in a month!

4K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  bfloyd4445 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Well, technically I wasn't commenting on his physical appearance. I was commenting on the demeanor that he presented in his picture, which was a matter of his own choosing, and not any unavoidable physical attributes.

But just to humour you I'll delete the comment and let the rest of you draw your own conclusions on his "look." ;)

#10 ·
I give him credit for getting out there. Most people his age have no interest in sailing at all.

But then, we wonder why people think sailing is dangerous. He is not helping the cause

#14 ·
The story has also been reported on other UK news sites, though it's possible they're all owned by the same company (not familiar with that).

I doubt it is a total hoax (as in, it never happened), but I wouldn't be surprised if the story was hyped up to pander to the "tabloid crowd." It does have a "Parade Magazine" vibe about it.

It's also possible the kid is doing this intentionally to gain attention for himself. It's purely speculative, but I wonder if his father is on one of the rescue teams, and he and his rescue buddies are going along with it to get some press (and collect some overtime). It would also help explain some of the silly staged "look like a loser" photographs.

#19 ·
p.s. TakeFive - you might do well to look up on how the RNLI works before making such an unfounded and demeaning speculative post.
I identified it as purely speculation, and it should be taken as such. It certainly is not meant to demean RNLI or anyone else, and I can understand your belief that no rescuer would EVER risk his life in a masquerade like that. Deep down I believe that too, but I also know that stranger things have happened. It's extremely rare, but firefighters have been known to start fires. It happens. I doubt something like that happened here, but the cynical part of me refuses to completely rule it out.

Reactions: mellowseas
#20 ·
Not any more! :laugher

#22 ·
"I don't think we have made stupidity illegal here yet. "
Not per se, but most if not all states provide for 48-hour psych evals, and protective custody in one form or another. And the USCG can and will terminate voyages and seize vessels as "manifestly unsafe".
While we allow drunk drivers to continue drinking and driving with literally 40 suspensions on their license, I suspect that after ten rescues, someone would find a way to restrain the fellow. You'd have to delve into the circumstances and specifics to look at that.

#23 ·
FWIW, he wasn't arrested for bad sailing. They found a black mark in his past in order to get him behind bars. The US would have done the same thing:
Freeman was arrested on behalf of Warwickshire Police in connection with allegedly failing to attend a previous court appearance in Leamington Spa to answer charges of assault.

#24 ·
#25 ·
Yes bfloyd great approach in taking lessons from Capt. Calamity,
in fact I believe he was my sailing instructor when I first learn to sail...but I never caught on that he was teaching "what not to do"
on a sailboat... now that explains alot and makes this sailing thing
a whole lot clearer! Maybe now I can get friends to come sailing with me!

#27 ·
chuckle......so you put yourself at the same skill level s these very famous sailors?.....Do you give classes????...

Seems to me modern sailor sail when it is convienient and the rest of the time they motor here and there.
Are there any real sailor out there that can and do sail every where?

#29 ·
ha ha ha.....many many years ago when I kinda got a reputation as a good guy to put a boating question to in the local area. One day I took a couple of friends out to teach one of them the basic protocol of skippering a powerboat in the delta and rivers. Well things were going good and I began to become comfortable with the new skippers ability to keep us out of harms way and looked away for a minute to suddently see a duck blind pass us only inches away. Looked at the depth we were in 2.5 feet of water and wump, we hit. No damage done just a mud bottom and we were only going about18knts.
After that incident I was branded Captain Hardaground! I sent these charactors this thread and of course they reminded me of my distinction as Captain Hardaground.

I tell you fame like this will never let you go. the above incident was 35 years ago

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.