Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2004

maxcontax is on a distinguished road
Delta Anchor

The weight of chain can act like a kellett and help the anchor bite by improving its angle to the seabed. But I think the real reason is related to wear and tear on the last 50 feet of the rode on seabottoms, that''s why chain is a good idea.
I''m running 100'' chain and 250'' 5/8 nylon with a 22# Bruce for my Beneteau 34, works just fine, I have never ever been put to the test on this though. I am also running 12'' chain and 250'' 3/8 nylon with a 16# Bruce on my Catalina 22, also works very well on holding bottoms for quick sets: got into silts one afternoon, it would not set, ended up trying out my dinghy anchor, a 2 1/2 lb Guardian on 50'' 1/4 nylon no chain, and it held on very well, 4:1 scope. So maybe it is about the design of the anchor vis-a-vis the bottom--more than all the chain?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2004

Billpjr is on a distinguished road
Delta Anchor

It''s more what works for you, not what works for someone else in another territory.

When sizing anchors go bigger than mfgs say...most only rate to 60mph and that is in perfect bottom and no seas hitting the hull.

Figure just the weight (1-3+lbs ft) of an all chain rode and it''s friction on the bottom. That gives a lot of resistance under normal conditions, even without an anchor.

When the wind really pipes it can take the slack out of the chain and make tremendos shock loads. It happens and will pull your anchor out or break something. You need to use snubbers with an all chain rode.

I personally tossed my two CQRs with "all" chain and went back to fluke anchors with nylon for sand/mud/grass. I also tossed two aluminum fluke anchors because they wouldn''t push down shells or grass when setting.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook