Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013

stevestk is on a distinguished road
Do you take your cushions home?

Do you remove your cushions as part of winterizing. If not, do you do anything special to protect them?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you take your cushions home?

Well the last boat I looked at just piled them up on the table and put PDFs and stuff under the mattresses to keep lift them up, and I can say as a long term solution it did not seem to help as they were nasty, and he seemed surprised when I mentioned I would have to reupholster right away. Well they were not that bad considering they were 33 years old, but he seemed to not notice the smell or the stains!

It would be ideal to take them home, and if you have a good dry place to store them then I think you should do it. Seems it would not be a major effort to get them home, depending on how many, there size and how far you are from the boat. At least lift them up so air can circulate around them. Make sure they are away from any sources of leaks. I would only put them in plastic bags, if they were very clean and extremely dry, even then I would put in some Silica packets. I work on large computer systems and they are packed with bags that are about 5X4X1 inches and work the treat for such things.
Old 10-05-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

I took mine home a couple of years ago, removed the covers, and washed the foam, the batting, and the covers. It was amazing how gunky the water in the bathtub was after the first washing. I think I washed everything twice and rinsed everything two or three times. Even by the last rinse the water still wasn't absolutely clean. It was a lot of work (I think that next time I'll look for a laundromat with those industrial-sized front-load washers, and try washing the cushions without taking them apart), but the cushions looked and smelled much better for the effort. It also resolved about 80-90% of the "boat smell" on board (particularly when the boat has been closed up for some time). Since then I have been taking them home and letting them "air out" for a few days in the backyard ever six months or so. It seems to help keep them fresher, but without a "control treatment" I couldn't say for sure.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 10-05-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-05-2013

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Take them home and put them in a heated garage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-05-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Since then I have been taking them home and letting them "air out" for a few days in the backyard ever six months or so. It seems to help keep them fresher, but without a "control treatment" I couldn't say for sure.
My Father has told me when he was in the Navy in the 60s and early 70s, they would hang their mattresses on the railings when at sea. Each division would have a day where their bedding would be hung out in the sun. The theory was that fresh air and sunlight would kill most anything in the bedding and keep the ship smelling and looking cleaner inside.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 10-05-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Yes yes yes!!!!
Take them home.
We always do and they guy besides us in the yard last winter went to the boat in the spring and found four families of mice!
$6,500.00 of damages!
Mice in the cushions, mice in the Kleenex, mice droppings everywhere.
Take them home.

Rik
Old 10-05-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Do you take your cushions home?

All cushions , running rigging, PFDs, foul weather gear, linens, towels, books & magazines, and sundries come off each fall. All drawers and cabinets are opened and the bilge boards are removed. All sails and canvas are removed and tracer lines are run for all running rigging. The whole process including engine and FW winterization takes about 6 hours with 2 of us working. That includes a 2 hr drive to the winter yard for hauling. One of us relaxes and drives, the other works.

Our family has followed this since the '70s and is proven to extend the life of the articles and reduce boat smell. We also started keeping 2 open Kanberra Gel containers open and result is miraculous.
AlaskaMC and boz86 like this.
Old 10-05-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Cushions come off but aside from that, all the stuff I need to sail over winter stays on the boat.

Old 10-05-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
My Father has told me when he was in the Navy in the 60s and early 70s, they would hang their mattresses on the railings when at sea. Each division would have a day where their bedding would be hung out in the sun. The theory was that fresh air and sunlight would kill most anything in the bedding and keep the ship smelling and looking cleaner inside.
I heard a story (I think on NPR) a few months ago about the recent bedbug "epidemic" in some cities. It seems some foreign students (I forget where they were from, but I think it was somewhere in Africa) at a East Coast university started hanging their mattresses and bedding out on the the dorm balcony/patio every few days when they heard that there was a problem with the little critters on campus. Theirs was one on the few dorms that remained bedbug free.

It's a wonder what a little fresh air and sunlight (particularly UV) will do sometimes.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 10-06-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
We take ours with us, south for the winter