Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road
Lake Michigan Sailors. Itenerary advice sought

Hey Guys,

I am planning a 8-9 day sailing trip out of Holland Michigan for next summer (late July or early August) We will be on a Morgan 321 and there will be 4-5 of us. I am trying to figure out an itinerary and start planning some things now. I thought of going on a long leg up to Travers city and then working my way back down from there as weather window allows. I am OK with being out at night and a long trip if conditions are good is no problem. I want to avoid doing a straight lake crossing at this point as the others with me will have limited experience. I would love to hear from some experienced Michigan sailors to get your input on good ports and what a sensible trip would be.

Thanks,

Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013

SailingJackson is on a distinguished road
Re: Lake Michigan Sailors. Itenerary advice sought

If the skipper and a majority of the crew are not accustom to passagemaking then I'd suggest doing a night passage with most of the crew on a simple crossing or something around 80 to 90 miles before you attempt to get to Traverse City. Under the best possible winds (won't happen) you're looking at 200 miles and likely more than 36 hours.

Get some experience in watch keeping and night sailing before getting that far from home. It's fun to plan your first big trip, but you'll likely be disappointed in that the wind and weather will not support your plans. Better off to study techniques, ports, and seasonal wind patterns than plan a specific route. Go where the wind blows. Also, since you're planning a trip that's more than a week, you're clearly invested in the process and will have money sunk in to the boat, the provisions, and all else. In the greater scheme of things an additional few hundred dollars in Great Lakes Cruising Club would be well spend since you would have the harbor reports for all possible destinations and harbors of refuge.

GTJ
Old 10-05-2013
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about

When you say 4-5, are you talking about a group of adults, or you and the family?
Old 10-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJackson View Post
If the skipper and a majority of the crew are not accustom to passagemaking then I'd suggest doing a night passage with most of the crew on a simple crossing or something around 80 to 90 miles before you attempt to get to Traverse City. Under the best possible winds (won't happen) you're looking at 200 miles and likely more than 36 hours.

Get some experience in watch keeping and night sailing before getting that far from home. It's fun to plan your first big trip, but you'll likely be disappointed in that the wind and weather will not support your plans. Better off to study techniques, ports, and seasonal wind patterns than plan a specific route. Go where the wind blows. Also, since you're planning a trip that's more than a week, you're clearly invested in the process and will have money sunk in to the boat, the provisions, and all else. In the greater scheme of things an additional few hundred dollars in Great Lakes Cruising Club would be well spend since you would have the harbor reports for all possible destinations and harbors of refuge.

GTJ
Good advice there. I was already planning some weekend trips from Chicago to Michigan city and back including a night run or two in order to get them under their belt. The goal is to have everyone at least to the point of competency before leaving.

Didn't realize Traverse Bay was that far North from Holland. That may change things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
When you say 4-5, are you talking about a group of adults, or you and the family?
That would be 4-5 adults. I am crazy Jim but not quite that crazy to try and take the family on that trip (3 kids 2,5,9)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 10-06-2013

Also the boat is owned and maintained by a lease share company of which I do most of the Yacht maintenance. The boat is equipped with all the offshore and cruising items that are necessary including some that are bonus (Radar, Davit and Dink, Secondary anchor, etc.) Boat is in great shape and is capable as is.