Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By killarney_sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Why the Chinese economy will collapse - sailing related

As some of you know, my wife is originally from China. When we started serious cruising we both started a blog, hers in Chinese and mine in the only language I am reasonably fluent in. Almost from the start she has had many more hits than I did. A couple of days ago she found out that there is a sailing group on a site called WeChat that is similar to Twitter and has 300 million users, mainly in China.

She joined the sailing group and found that is made up some racers and a bunch of people who are fascinated by sailing but don't really have a clue about it. What seems to be happening in China is that a lot of people have made a lot of money and are looking at ways to spend it. Golf is very popular, at least in theory, but it is very expensive since land is so costly in a country of 1.4 billion with most people living in less than 1/3 of the country. Marinas are springing up, mainly filled by powerboats owned by people who don't know how to use them and rarely leave the dock. Interest in sailing is growing, but so far June has only found two examples of Chinese boats sailing around the world - one that non-stop with a big crew (I think they did have to stop, but made it) and one single-hander who became a big media star.

Anyway, back to the collapse of the Chinese economy. June posted a number of videos on WeChat including one of Galapagos tortoises mating- a less exciting event is hard to imagine. They do it doggie-style and there is no movement visible with a grunt about every 30 seconds. Within six hours there were more than 2000 views of the video and the only people who knew it was there were the small group in the sailing forum. The economy will collapse because these people are addicted to the Internet.
davidpm and zeehag like this.
Old 10-05-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Why the Chinese economy will collapse - sailing related

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
As some of you know, my wife is originally from China. When we started serious cruising we both started a blog, hers in Chinese and mine in the only language I am reasonably fluent in.
So, English isn't your only language?
[ducks and runs]
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The economy will collapse because these people are addicted to the Internet.
Now we know why the US economy is in such a poor shape.
Old 10-06-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
...Marinas are springing up, mainly filled by powerboats owned by people who don't know how to use them and rarely leave the dock......
So they are trying to be just like the US.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-06-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

In a lot of ways they are trying very hard to be Western and American. The biggest television shows are Chinese Idol, The Voice, and many copycat shows. There were so many of these that the government announced that no more shows like this could debut. Western stars, singers and athletes are huge - and there is this huge interest in recreational activities and consumerism. I found it a hoot in Xi'an, where the Warriors are, that you could bt knockoff designer stuff a block away from the many stores where you could buy the real thing. At that time, the big deal was purses for men that were about $400.

With sailing it is a hoot. The few people who are getting in to it, go to somewhere like Malaysia to buy a boat, perhaps after a short basic sailing course. They really don't have a clue what to do next, generally don't know enough English to get help or read the standard reference books, even if they knew these books. It is all quite fascinating.
Old 10-06-2013

daydream sailor is on a distinguished road

This is a good example how the rich Chinese spend their fortune
Old 10-06-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydream sailor View Post
This is a good example how the rich Chinese spend their fortune
No doubt, son wants to learn to sail, but Dad is a stinkpotter and not happy.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.