Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: A mistress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Dude... name the boat after your wife and problem is solved!
I've never seen a woman's name on a boat, typically preceded by Miss or Lady, and not immediately thought of this scam. Seems to work, as they are most often found on mega yachts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've never seen a woman's name on a boat, typically preceded by Miss or Lady, and not immediately thought of this scam. Seems to work, as they are most often found on mega yachts.
It is called 'psychology', not a scam...
Minnewaska likes this.
Old 10-07-2013

mjf55 is on a distinguished road

Has you wife ever been sailing? If not, the she may not know what's in store for her ( could work against you tho. ). As was said, sit down and talk to her. If she has never sailed in that size boat, take a class together, get her out on the water and expose her to the joys of sailing.

Sent from my rooted DROID X2
Old 10-07-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

What you have here is a failure to communicate.
Your wife failed to communicate to you what she felt was important, to HER, for YOU to accomplish today.

You failed to communicate to your wife what you felt was important, to YOU, for YOU to accomplish today.

And you both failed to do this before you both started doing anything.

Here's what works for my wife and I- In the morning on "work" days, we sit and have a quick head-to-head over our morning coffee and decide what each of us thinks NEEDS to be done today, and what we both WANT to do today, and plan it out. No conflict, no issues.

Of course, keep in mind that it is the second marriage for both of us. WLFOF.
Mr. Chef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-07-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
It is called 'psychology', not a scam...
My mother's name is "Maureen"
My father had 3 boats over the years:
"Reenie Won"
"Reeine Too"
"Reeine Three"
I suppose it worked...

But seriously, this topic is near and dear to my heart.

I LOVE to sail (duh look I'm here even when I cannot be on my boat)... Well, from the time I was 11 until I was 26 and met my first wife I sailed. I did so on various boats as crew for my father in great places like the Chessie and Barney in NJ.. and on several small lakes... I also owned a sunfish and a snark of my own.

My first wife didn't understand sailing but wasn't really against water sports... she loved motorboats. Well I worked her up to getting a Capri 14.2 for myself, that she could sail with me on, and we'd see if she liked it. I had lots of great pictures of the boat on our maiden voyage, and that boat was a riot to sail. I suppose she didn't like it much, but was OK with us getting one as a friend of mine had a Holder 14 that we could sail "with."

She wasn't big on letting me go sailing alone and wasn't real big on giving up her schedule for her and ME to do it. So I relented way to often and I managed to get roughly 1 sail in a year with the boat.

Later the baby came and then I was 100% dad (and loved that part), but found myself as the parent 100% of the time when I was home (not working)... cooking and taking care of the little one, and even did cleaning too (luckily she did stuff like bathrooms and laundry or the marriage would have ended abruptly there, sorry I hate laundry)... I worked roughly 75 miles from home and was in IT, so my hours can be whacky, due to upgrades and the like, so 55-60 hours dedicated a job that wasn't really 9-5, left no time sailing at all when I was DAD for the rest.. Again, I love my daughter, and am glad I had that much time with her then (regret I don't have it now, but that's another story).

We moved (farther - still another story) from work for me, to upgrade our house/land (actually build our own house) in a nice development near the ex's folks with 2 acres of property... for some reason (that I cannot figure out even today), the wife was jealous of the boat... it wasn't allowed to move with us. Unfortunately it wasn't stated as such at the time, but somehow it managed to wind up at my sister's house (who also sails), so she could sail with her son/husband. Ok good cause and I figured my sister would purchase it, or upgrade, or I would upgrade so I wrote it off... Are you seeing the incrementalisms yet?

Flash forward because I've taken ALL of your time too much... Divorce counseling had determined that she was jealous of ANY time I spent doing anything I loved. That it was seen as me not loving her. This isn't unusual but it IS indicative of insecurity. Now I'll let the REAL doctors weigh in on how you fix that... but I'll tell you now that this was a symptom of a larger set of insecurities about herself and our marriage... and I realized that I am not real good at the stifling that was going on.

Flash forward some more. My new wife is about as polar opposite as you can get. She's got her own hobby that fortunately she lets me share in. I recognize her want to do it, and love to join her in it. She's passionate about her sport, and therefore gets my addition to mine. She's 100% behind me in my sailing addiction, having fronted me the cash while we were dating to allow me to purchase my first keelboat, then supported me when I had a whacky plan to sell my 22 footer and purchase my 25 footer all in a weekend that included 1100 miles in driving (even found me a hotel to crash at between boat sale and purchase).

My point in all of this? All people need to have a hobby, something that they can put their focus on... a spouse that takes that as "hiding" or not "loving" them in some way (or creates a never-ending honey-do list), is one that isn't working in a healthy relationship... Just my opinion of course. They need to understand your passion even obsession with it some and allot/allow time/money to be sunk (sorry probably poor choice of words given the subject) into it with the knowledge of the greater good (your mental health) that would come from it.

Our housework suffers a lot (we both work and we both play, housework suffers, and our little 1600 square foot modular winds up with a house cleaning service because of it)... because Spring and fall are HER hobby, and late spring all summer, and early fall is mine. She hopes that I don't move my boat to warmer waters because if I do wintertime might come into play for sailing more for me, and NOTHING would get done around the house by us!

I should note that my present wife isn't as much a sailor either (will go with me from time to time of course), but she's not against ME sailing 2-3-4 times a week.. she just puts her focus into HER hobby while I do (training dogs, or riding horses)!

For the record, we still have more money tied up in HER hobby than mine, which is why she rarely balks at me spending money on the boat... The cool part is I could easily spend LOTS on a boat, well into a new 30 footer, and still not hit how much we've spent together on hers... so we're good!

Just saying, talk it out with her, make her understand this drive you have to do this, and she'll get it... and if she doesn't, well, you might have other issues going on.
jimgo and krisscross like this.
eherlihy (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Seems like its the houses, not the spouses, causing all the trouble.

Beware - my buddy got divorced while restoring a sailboat.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 10-07-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-07-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Seems like its the houses, not the spouses, causing all the trouble.
That's the way I saw it....

For the record; after looking at boats from Maine to Florida for 3 years, it was my wife who pushed me to "buy the damn boat already."
jimgo likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 10-07-2013

krazzz is on a distinguished road

The good news is that the boat is way more comfortable to sleep in than the dog house.
Old 10-07-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing, schnool. We do a lot of things because we have to, but our hobbies are more about who we really are. That has to be respected in any kind of relationship.
My ex was even jealous of me spending time with my fruit trees let alone going sailing for a week on Pamlico Sound...
I'm happy to report that I now have plenty of time for my fruit trees and sailing.
Old 10-07-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The boat I am about to reclaim is in the driveway on stands about 2 days before I find time to get in her and reel at the project ahead.
I don't think your going to have much luck getting a woman to buy into a driveway boat, it's just taking up space, time and money that could be going toward that Lexus, new carpet, college for the kids etc. that are higher on her list of priorities.
Naming the boat right helps, but sometimes you got to back it up with ultra leather and teak that makes her want to see the looks on her friends faces when they see what she got instead of a Lexus.
Attached Thumbnails
A mistress?-us-1.jpg