Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road
Reef points

Hi All,

Believe it or not, all the sailing I did in SF Bay... I never reefed, ever. The new boat is heavy, but has alot of sail area. Yesterday we had good 20k + winds up here in the Seattle area and we went out for an evening sail. The boat let us know straight away that she would tip over scary if I am a dummy. So 2 things come to mind, reef, or let it out. Since I have no experience reefing, I opted for the later and all was good. Monster performance out of the Allmand. Now to me... all 7k (hull speed) was performance.

I remember seeing lines tied throught the reef points of the old Catalinas, but mine have nothing. I've read don't use line, it will tear out the reinforcements, but rather to use bungees. But that might mean trying to feed a bungee through the hole while bouncing around. What do you do and what are your mainsail reef point setups?

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: Reef points

Reef lines are not intended to sustain any appreciable load. They are only intended to gather loose portions of sail and keep them off the deck. All the load is on the reefed tack and reefed clew. So there is no need for bungees. Just tie reef lines snug but not tight - they are only intended to gather cloth and will tear out if under load.

We do not permanently install reef lines - they're ugly and distort airflow over the sail. But we keep a set handy. We do not normally tie reef lines for a single reef but on a double reef we install the lines because there is a lot of sail to flap around. By the time we get to a double reef, there is enough wind that we don't want loose cloth catching wind.
Faster likes this.
Old 10-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Sailties can be used as temporary 'reef lines'
Sabreman likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-07-2013

Markwesti is on a distinguished road

On my boat reefing is important because the main is large, also it is cut to work in light and heavy air . I have never heard of the bungee set up . My reef line is first attached to the back of the boom, aft of the reef point ,( this acts as my out haul) goes up and through the reef point , back down to a turning block , then forward to a turning block , up to the reef point and down to a cleat . I lower the main, pull the reef line down to tight and cleat off . This is all done at the mast but can be led aft . I also might add that my sail is reinforced at the reef points and is intended to be pulled (trimmed) tight . My boat is a heavy cruiser . It has reef points for a second reef too . On my first boat, I rigged all lines aft and I really liked it .

Last edited by Markwesti; 10-07-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2013

Quote:
Sailties can be used as temporary 'reef lines'
Haha. That's the set that we keep handy. Easy to handle and always under the starboard cockpit seat. And I thought that I was just being lazy.....
Old 10-07-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

It's important to differentiate between two different types of reefing lines.

On most modern boats there are two lines, one going through the reef tack and one going through the reef clew that pull the sail down. These are load bearing lines that hold the smaller shape. You can't reef without these. On some boats a single line will go through both, and on others the new tack will go through a hook instead of using a reefing line.

There are also 2-4 reef tie-down points that are used to bundle up the extra fabric and keep it tidy. These points can't handle any load (the sail will rip) and should never be tied around the boom, only around sail fabric. They are optional, my main has a single deep reef and I don't use them.

It's important to figure out your reefing before you have to use it. There is nothing wrong with going through the exercise of reefing even in light air. Learn how to do it at t the dock and also while out on the water. Reefing while hove-to works quite well on most boats.
bacampbe likes this.
Old 10-07-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
Reef lines are not intended to sustain any appreciable load. They are only intended to gather loose portions of sail and keep them off the deck. All the load is on the reefed tack and reefed clew. So there is no need for bungees. Just tie reef lines snug but not tight - they are only intended to gather cloth and will tear out if under load. ---
These reef lines should only be tied around the sail, not around the boom. This will help prevent any damage to the sail.
Old 10-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
These reef lines should only be tied around the sail, not around the boom. This will help prevent any damage to the sail.
True but that only works (easily) for a loose footed mainsail, maybe possible with a slugged foot, not possible with a bolt rope footed sail.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-07-2013

Reef points

What Faster said. To be honest, with a double reef, it's really hard for me to get under the loose foot, there's so much material. It's much easier to just loop around the sail and boom, and the sail material isn't as scrunched. With full load on the tack, the new foot is so close to the boom, there isn't much, if any, downward pull on the reef lines.
Old 10-07-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

(Vocabulary Police Warning) The lines that go through the reefing clew and reefing tack are correctly named “reefing lines”. The lines that go through the intermediate grommets are known as “nettles”. (Next week’s lesson: Buntlines.) The reason why nettles are not tied around the boom is stretch in the reefing line causing the new clew to lift up from the boom. Not only do you risk getting a nettle grommet pulled out, you suffer increased draft precisely when you want that sail board flat. Normally, we do not sail with nettles as they get dirty and mark up the sail. To fix the problem of a stretching reefing line, racers use a “strop strap” to hold the clew down on the boom. It also serves the added benefit of relieving some of the strain on the reefing line. Ours are made from spectra webbing with Velcro sewn on both sides. After the new clew is down on the boom, we reeve the strop through the clew and around the boom and then around a second time. Simple to set up and amazingly effective.
Faster, bacampbe, AlaskaMC and 1 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeB For This Useful Post:
Dave_E (10-07-2013)