Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Smile Sailing Discussions

To me sailing is kindred to the human spirit. Emotional up and downs created by the constaant oppisitions of man vs nature are bound only by fortitude.
In attempting to become what one may properly term a sailor I make frequent attempts at bettering myself on the art.
If planning for offshore cruising why would one prefer an autopilot over a wind vane and what are the relative fail rates in relation to wear and tear and stress by weather. If experincing storms what is the most weather these two type of self steering rigs caan take so that it becomes prudent for the skipper to stay at the helm.

It seems to me that for single handers roller furling mast and jibs are highly desired when sailing far offshore for extended periods of time where heavy weather is a signifcant risk. I noticed that on most sailboats, mine included, the winches on the outside are often a smaller gauge and also they are always mounted on the cabin top. This does not pose as significant an inconvience or even risk to tiller boats but to vessels with wheels I see issue.
if single handing and in heavy weather or high wind the wheel in affect keepps you stuck behind it so that for you to walkk out and up to the cabin top winches you need to leave the wheel locked or engaged by self steering. In big seas this increases the chance of getting you thrown around and also seems to be a danger because of broaching to in quite large sea states. I think winches would be better served being far aft on top of the gunnals a few feet or so from the boats stern. This way you could trim the sheets from the cockpit entirely while staying at the helm.

I think that crimped shifter cables are a bad idea. Recently was racing on a boat and we lost reverse coming in. The shifter cable end, factory edition, had pulled out of the crimp. This could be disaster in the worst case scnerios. We were lucky we found out before we docked or we were likely to have crashed the bow on the wharf at 5 or 6 knots. I think a welding job sintead of crimping is the way to go on all shifter cables and I have already planned on replacing mine to a weld version jtbs.

Fouling the head sucks. Fouling the 90 degree elbow on the output seacock really blows. I noticed that I had to wash my pillows and sheets a lot until a few months ago because I suppose living in a marine enviornment keeps up the humidity and noone likes mold. I heard offhand from my grandmother who is a fountain of wisdom in her own right the simple and obvious method of putting them out on deck to sun soak for a time on nice days. Its nice for really cleaning the v berth and also when i put out all the cushions as well it really makes a big difference in the boats feeling extra fresh. That being said, a good scented candle does wonders for making a boat smell fresh and cozy. Im using basalm fir now and its like coming into a wooden cabin at christmas time when its going. They look good too.

I was sailing down wind recently and also a few weeks ago and its hard to adjust the trim on the jib i found without having a stay rigged. I already added a pennant to the storm jib I recently acquired so im thinking that it would be an easy and inexpensive job to rig up an aluminum pole or something that I could use to keep the jib sheet poled out when running. As is I know wing and wing is the most efficent since you r running on the most sail area and the jib is completely unblocked by the main but the effort at keeping the jib from luffing is non stop not to mention watching for gybes. I plan on making out of some extra ling tomorrow a preventer for the main to meet this end for it but the jib will require something to stick out off the boat and keep it poled. My difficulty is being single handed often having to run up and change it over or off before tacks. Perhaps some of you know the proper method for keeping the jib out without a pole.

I love living on a sailboat.
Bowditch is epic. So is sailing. Epic possibilities.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing Discussions

Lastly, if your offshore how far will you pick up weather forecast from ssb? Will they even have forecast in remote sailing regions away from the US?
what are some easy and analog ways to check weather and also the best route to escape bad weather. If your offshore in a big low you could be in it 5 days on one route or 3 days on another. If you dont have reliable radar or forecast are there ways to figure out the storms path of least resistance?
i figure that wind direction is a big indicator of where a storm is in relation to its being cycled out or not but in a multiple day system you could have 36 hours of winds and rain from the same direction. To avoid a worsening sea state and fatigue you would want to escape this foul weather as quickly as possible. So how would you know which course to take if you were out of range of ssb and had no fancy weather station on board the boat. (A barometer is good but its long term and i think would be very hard to steer by if you understand my set and drift)
Old 10-09-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing Discussions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
...Fouling the head sucks. Fouling the 90 degree elbow on the output seacock really blows...
FYI, discharging black water is illegal unless you are in the ocean at least 3 miles offshore. Otherwise you need to get a pumpout. Please be responsible and protect the environment that you are living in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)