Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2013
1988 Catalina 22

dixiedawg is on a distinguished road
Re: crack in cockpit sole of Catalina 22, how serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
You should be able to put your head under the seats and look around. You may have to move the galley, or the panel between the dinette and the gas locker under the seat. But its simple. You have to see under there before you can make an offer so make sure the seller is ready with a flashlight and gives you access
Thanks, Sal! I never leave home without my trusty mini maglight!

This is a late eighties boat, so there's no sliding galley to move, but my understanding is that the gas locker is essentially a sealed tub. Am I right on that?

I've only ever been on board a C22 one time (a pre-'85), and I wasn't concerned with inspecting this area. But I know on a ComPac 23 I could just low-crawl back there from either side of the cabin.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Yeah, mine is a '74. I did read they sealed the gas locker off on later boats. I forgot that.

There is also a small plywood and vinyl panel behin the keel winch. That panel can come out on my boat and I can look under the cockpit. I haven't looked at a newer C22 but I imagine that on the starboard side there must be a panel to look at or acces the under cockpit space. On my boat, that is where the sliding galley was and where we now store all our gear.
Old 10-11-2013
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedawg View Post
Thanks, Sal! I never leave home without my trusty mini maglight!

This is a late eighties boat, so there's no sliding galley to move, but my understanding is that the gas locker is essentially a sealed tub. Am I right on that?

I've only ever been on board a C22 one time (a pre-'85), and I wasn't concerned with inspecting this area. But I know on a ComPac 23 I could just low-crawl back there from either side of the cabin.
Mine's an '87. From inside the cabin, you can crawl all the way under the gas locker on port, but on starboard you run into the locker where the battery goes. One way or another you should be able to get back there, but it gets pretty skinny back by the transom.

Back in the early days of my boat ownership, I noticed that the screw holes for my fuel locker hinges were stripped out, and that the screws could easily be pulled out by hand. I had this awesome idea to switch from self tapping screws to bolts, and to back them with some nice mahogany that I had left over from a bass lap steel guitar that I'd made. My plan was to crawl back under there and hold the mahogany and a nut while my wife pushed the bolt through from the cockpit and tightened it, but for whatever reason she didn't want to be the one to have to tighten it, and instead elected to worm under there. It must have looked amazing to the folks in the marina as I crouched in the cockpit, screaming an explanation of "cross threading," apparently at my gas tank. The real hilarious part, though, was when we eventually got the bolts sorted out and my wife couldn't figure out how to extricate herself. There's a dropoff at the end of the settee where it goes down to the hull, and in her panic, she couldn't figure out how to get over it to get out while she was jammed in there without much use of her arms. She kept yelling that she was stuck, and I was trying to keep from peeing myself laughing as I pulled on her legs like some kind of crazy late-life breech birth.

But yeah, there's room.
JimMcGee likes this.

Last edited by chip; 10-11-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-11-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Dixie-
One big heavy crew who jumps down into the cockpit of a small boat on a regular basis can crack it like that. Cockpit floors will flex and they're not meant to have big guys jumping down in them. So, that's all it takes.
Whether the floor is unsupported or has the usual plywood under it, the fix would be the same. From below, remove the plywood, add something stiffer (newer heavier ply, or stringers, or a sheet of G10 fiberglass board, and glass it in place. That leaves the cockpit side undisturbed, so all you have to do is recoat it. Fill the crack, apply antiskid over the floor, and you've got an invisible repair and a strong new floor under it.
Of course, getting good access under the cockpit floor without getting your hair full of epoxy may be a job best left to a trained monkey in a small hazmat suit.